Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing

dandymoo

New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing Empty New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing

Post by dandymoo on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 2:50 pm

Hey all,

New to this forum, to the world of Dandy and to camping itself.

We are looking at a 1970's Dandy tomorrow. There were no pics of the actual one for sale but I have had a good chat with the owner and have arranged to view tomorrow.
I have no idea about Dandy's or camping although my parents have a touring caravan and have been using it for years.
Dad is coming with me tomorrow as he will have a way better idea than me.

I have been told it is in very good condition.

Is there any bad points I should be looking out for. I appreciate because of its age there is going to be some wear and tear.
I'm not sure on the model but have been told it is yellow/orange.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mandy
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing Empty Re: New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 3:53 pm

Have you read [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ?

I wouldn't quite agree with Mike on point 4. "Trailer Tyres" or light truck tyres were necessary for him as he was in the unusual position of having a Dandy 6 on 10" wheels. With 12" wheels on 6's and 10" on everything else car tyres have adequate load capacity. Unless there is evidence of recently replaced tyres I would always budget for new ones.

As Mike said the floor being songy is one big problem. It can be fixed (all Dandy faults can be fixed) but it's a serious job.

Next up is the chassis. Is there corrosion if so how bad?

Nearly all brakes just need adjustment. If however parts are missing from the brakes then pre 1989 brake parts are expensive. You could conceivably have rod brakes and spares for these are not easy to find. If complete though adjustment may be adequate for 20 years+ so no panic if complete.

Orange/Yellow Dandys can be found with phenolic ply trailer (tub) sides or plastic ones. Unless you are very lucky the ply will be getting past its best on the bottom edge. The plastic sides tend to warp and are probably the least loved material for sides.  

Why are you looking at this? Is it desperately cheap or do you want to use it with a 70's car?  If cheapness is the driving force I'd if you bide your time almost any pre 1990 Dandy Brown and earlier can be found for less than £500. It's very easy to spend several hundred if faults are found.  

On the other hand the Orange/Yellow is a lovely vibrant colour and minor issues like warped tub sides don't stop you from enjoying the camper. Also Dandys are very resilient it could be very easy for an almost pristine example to be rolled out of a garage. Though not pristine I have a 40+ year old Dandy.

Might be a bit much for you but if you think saying "anything can be fixed" might be an exaggeration see what Phoenix did with his old 4: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What type of Dandy (4, 41/2, 5 or 6) does it have an awning? The awnings on early Dandys offer a bit less space than on later ones but are easier to put up.
dandymoo

New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing Empty Re: New to Dandy and viewing a 1970's model tomorrow, any tips when viewing

Post by dandymoo on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 4:03 pm

Thank you, i'll have a good read through the link this evening.

As we are new to camping we don't really want to spend a lot of money on our first incase camping is not for us hence going for an older model.

The owner has said they were away in it this May bank holiday so hopefully that means its pretty solid and in good condition. The brakes were changed 3 years ago.
Very excited about the viewing and fingers crossed !
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 4:40 pm

Good luck with your viewing

mike
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:20 pm

dandymoo wrote:Thank you, i'll have a good read through the link this evening.

As we are new to camping we don't really want to spend a lot of money on our first incase camping is not for us hence going for an older model.

The owner has said they were away in it this May bank holiday so hopefully that means its pretty solid and in good condition. The brakes were changed 3 years ago.

Brilliant. I do think some people spend a fortune only to realise camping is not for them.
As said though unless this is for free there are lots of cheap Dandys but parts and labour isn't cheap. So if you can look at as many as possible you get to see more of the faults.

Two suspension things I didn't think of. 1) If you have a reasonable ride height but everything seems a bit stiff. i.e.you can't see the trailer or suspension move much over bumps. The rubber suspension can stiffen up a bit over the years. Not the end of the world it's OK. 2) Look at the tyres. If the suspension is starting to fail one of the major reasons for failure is the trailing arms rusting and so weakening then twisting. If you see a tyre like this then the suspension is on its way out. Look at the tyre the tread on the inside edge has worn away. The force of the wheel through the axle has bent the weakened trailing arm.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thing is only an honest vendor would sell a Dandy with tyres like that. a crook would put part worn tyres on and it would be almost impossible to spot.

Learn to read through what people say. "The brakes were changed 3 years ago" I'm not saying that they weren't but how often do you renew car brake components? Somewhere between 20 and 40 thousand miles? I'd bet most folding campers don't see 20K. The brakes were probably just adjusted. As you may guess I don't believe most of what vendors say.
You don't have to be as grumpy as me (I'm becoming more grumpy as I aspire to be Mike) but do be suspicious there is always another Dandy. Having said that, there are some lovely people though it especially seems to be people who have had a Dandy for years and who just want to see it being used rather than left in the garage.

New to camping? What sort of camping do you fancy: Cheaper more basic sites. Nice quieter sites with EHU and good quality facilities. Sites with entertainment and facilities for children. Are you a possible European camper?
You don't have to tell us. Also what you think you want and what you end up wanting may well be different but it's nice to know what new members are looking forward to.
dandymoo

Post by dandymoo on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:36 pm

Thanks for the tyre info. Will def look for signs.

Dad has been towing a large caravan for years so he should know what he is looking for.

Another question. Sorry for sounding a little dim but should it have a service history etc ? I have no idea if they even need to be serviced.

As for camps, I have just spent a few days with my folks in the caravan staying at Unity Farm in Brean, Somerset. A nice camp, lots of entertainment but a little big for my liking. Really just want to go to quieter parks, near beaches preferably with lots of nice walks for our two small dogs.
Due to work commitments we find it hard to have full weeks off so thought camping would give us lots of long weekends away instead.

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

Nothing of that age even the finest classic cars have a service history.
Dandys don't tend to have anything anyway. A caravan can have an habitation test but a dandy is a bit basic for that. In essence it's a trailer that unfolds into a tent and it has a gas cooker. If it looks alright and it works as a trailer that is it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 May 2019, 10:27 am