Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Contemplating Selling

ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Contemplating Selling

Post by ShaunJUK on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:15 pm

Yes we use it and yes we love it but we need more space..

Thinking of maybe getting a Caravan affraid 

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Contemplating Selling

Post by Helen on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

I'd go for a 6 or Destiny, caravans cost more to maintain, service and when things go wrong it can cost a small fortune ..... some sites charge you more and others that accept Dandy's won't accept a caravan affraid our van has cost us since we bought it and if we hadn't spent so much it would have already gone (had it 18 months) we are so glad we kept hold of our Dandy. Try a caravan but many have and have returned to Dandys Twisted Evil

Not saying this to put you off caravans altogether, my parents had one for donkeys years but my personal preference is the Dandy ...... and we have both What a Face 
jenstar
jenstar

Post by jenstar on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:41 pm

We have had a caravan a folding caravan a folding camper and now a Dandy, I think a Dandy is the best.Very Happy  We dont have a 6 but they are very spacious, a caravan can be a nightmare to tow and costly to store if you cant store at home. I think the main benefit of a caravan is not having to assemble it. Smile Good luck with what ever you choose!
navver

Post by navver on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:52 pm

We had a brand new fixed bed caravan and recently changed to a dandy.

Insurance £300, servicing £200, Storage £240, Depreciation £1000 all per year.
Dandy depreciation nil, insurance £50 storage nil servicing £50 DIY
Fuel caravan 25mpg, Dandy 43mpg. Solo 51mpg.

Good points
Caravan has more storage space inside, shower, cassette toilet, oven, built in TV aerial
New ones look nice
Quick set up - but still have to do it. Everything out, water, waste electric, legs down.

Bad Points
If you don't get a fixed bed you will have terrible back ache. Make up beds are not comfortable.
Towing is a chore. Have to pay attention and go slow, get stuck behind lorries. Wind resistance and side winds are awful.
Awning still has to go up.
Caravans have a life of 10 years. After that damp can get in at any time and virtually write it off.
Many bits of kit to go wrong. Blow air heating, water heater, fridge, water pump & damper.
Caravan seating very uncomfortable. Low backs. Dandy settee really comfy.
Very, very hot in summer. Too much glass.
Strain on car, engine always working hard even downhill thanks to wind resistance.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm

I would just add please look at any caravan carefully. It's very easy to end up with less usable space. Certainly if you were comparing it to a 6 or a Destiny.
Been in Mike's and Phoenix's 6 never in a posh Dark Blue Destiny but even they are barns compared to caravans. Try sitting in the seats using the tables etc. Caravans are great for petite people not full sized adults. Well not in lots of cases.

I do need to add we would be sorry to lose you. Not that we would expect to lose you. I think a minimum of an appearance at Woodhall would be expected even if you change accommodation.
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:24 pm

hmm ok so now contemplating a Demension or Destiny
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:55 pm

Not wanting to point you elsewhere there but there are some solid roof American RVs or folding campers some even with PVC sides. Some of these are absolutely ginormous but you need to research the subject.

Yes they can have king sized beds front and rear. Some even have a king sized third bed. External and occasionally internal showers. No risk of things been made for 3/4 sized people these are made for Americans Even the possibility of air conditioning!
The down side
Wind up roofs can fail. The braking may well be illegal. Some "interesting" electrical set ups are found.
Carl had one and I tried to press him for details but I might caution he did sell it to get a Destiny.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
navver

Post by navver on Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:45 pm

Best thing is to have a look at a few options in the flesh. See some caravans and a destiny, toilet & otherwise. Whatever you do will be a compromise. You need to balance simplicity, ease and pleasure of towing etc against the extra cost, living space and facilities.

It's very easy to sit in the caravan showroom thinking how nice this is and, yes, it's just in my towing limit. Out on the road stuck behind yet another lorry at 50mph, it's a different matter.

Is it just the two of you or are you more. What type of extra space do you need.

I actually find the living and sleeping spaces better in the dandy. The caravans are just a long, narrow corridor whereas the dandy is a nice square space.
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 12:33 am

We moved from a Designer to a Destiny this year because we wanted more space and we are entirely satisfied with the change.

The living area is just the right size, we have the built-in fridge and loo, more storage space than we could ever use, and can accommodate our tabletop oven so, apart from a shower we have most of the benefits of a caravan without the additional costs.

It's a little more difficult to erect and collapse but, after a bit of practice I can do it on my own provided that it's not tipping it down or blowing a gale.

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

No matter what ....... we could all use more space but we fill up that extra space and you still have to pack stuff away even inside a caravan Smile We bought a porch awning for our van, then a bigger lightweight awning and then a full acrylic awning Twisted Evil They don't make a pvc awning for caravans so we have to dry them out, the larger awnings take as much time to put up as a Dandy awning and you have to pull them through the awning rail which means stretching to reach and pulling a heavy awkward load of material.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

Shaun i have both a caravan and a dandy,the space is so much better in the dandy,the only thing i find lacking is the built in fridge but a high sided would solve that.

mike
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 6:41 pm

I think we are going to look at selling the Dandy and upgrading in the future to a Dimension or Destiny although not straight away.

I think I will be selling privately and not through ebay, we just need to decide on its value.

Any help would be appreciated.
navver

Post by navver on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:09 pm

Best advice is don't sell now because prices have gone through the floor. But buy the new one now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:00 am