Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy dismantled

Helen
Dandy Owner

Dandy dismantled

Post by Helen on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 3:43 pm

I keep promising pics of my pops Dandy but haven't been at home and have yet to fathom how to get his pictures from his phone to my laptop Rolling Eyes 

took a few today

It's stripped down and he's found lots of drilled holes that were doing nothing so he's filling them

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Underneath the covers on the seating ..... the original fabric is in fantastic condition so when ready all covers will be taken off and the Dandy will go back to how it once was

The lino is rolled up but this pic shows that as it's been covered for a long time with carpet ...... it's also in excellent original condition and will be going back in the Dandy

He's going to use marine plywood for the sides, the suspension has been revamped using our old suspension units that he's stripped down.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Dandy dismantled

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

Is that the frame as was with lots of red led paint or has there been lots of cutting and welding?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:02 pm

There has been a little welding but the frame has been painted to protect from rusting as it's not under cover and sat outside ..... told you my pop would take his time about it so he has put red oxide on to protect whilst he doe's. John ground the old suspension units off the frame and welded the revamped ones back in place. The leg holders were rusted through so they have been remade, and obviously welded back into position.

I'll try to get pops pics on here of before it was painted with red oxide.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 8:30 pm

God that brings back memories from a couple of years ago. Smile 

Looking good.

He was lucky to save the vinyl.
If that chassis is original it looks to be in good order.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 8:31 pm

Who refurbs suspension units?
If the refurbed suspension units are those off your designer how is your Dad going to mate up the brakes? Rods to cables with auto reverse?
If you need to make new screw clamps for the legs a bent piece of 8mm threaded bar was used on early Dandys but did you see minidandy's leg bolts? Instead of a cross piece of bar welded onto the end of a bolt he used 2 washers. It was very Mickey Mouse. That was it was very Mickey Mouse not he did a Mickey Mouse job. I imagine you had to see it. Sort of like bellow but with washers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:19 pm

I asked pops about the brakes today, and he says he has a plan Suspect he did try to explain but I wasn't getting it ....... so as he goes I'll post some pics as they may explain better than I ever could.

We have new legs screws ready to go on already ........ spares that I have for my designer Rolling Eyes

If you look close you can see all the tiny holes he's intent on getting rid of, also that he's rubbed down so the rusts gone and it's solid but looks a little rough under the paint that's there.

The Lino is in really good condition as are the seats ....... so excited about getting the covers off and showing you all how well they have faired. Very Happy 

My brother has stripped the suspension down and says it's good to go ....... don't know what else he's done to it, as you all know he's a mechanical freak Twisted Evil 
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:00 am

be picking your brains soon
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:37 am

Helen wrote:

If you look close you can see all the tiny holes he's intent on getting rid of. 
The only holes we can see are where the pop rivets went. If he has kept the original sides and corner angles etc he can use them as patterns and use the same holes. That is what we did, we clamped on original sides and drilled through original holes. Sorry this is the only pic we have to illustrate. If you look closely you can see the rivets pushed in and sticking out but not yet fixed lining things up.

We only redrilled on the chassis rails we replaced and the floor but looked to make sure we didn't hit the original holes.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:31 am

John's here with me  ....... he agree's with you Phoenix, we did say we thought the holes should be left and used when replacing the wood ........ we're going around again today. We also have our doubts about if the plan he has for the brakes will work out.  For my dad the pleasure is in the doing and the finding out what can be done, he will only use the Dandy once before he hands it back to us ....... if his brake plan doesn't work then we can always sort something else out before it's all put back together ....... I'm not going to spoil his fun by not allowing him to try though.  He came around here yesterday (he is no welder) to tell us he'd had a go at welding something (we think it's the box section the leg slides into that was held with a bit of sticky tape) and it looks like pigeon droppings lol! Johns going to get it off and do it again so pops can go on with his project Twisted Evil 

If the brakes thing doe's work out though (because with my pop you never know) then he may have found another way to help sort out a conundrum with older Dandy's scratch 

We were beginning to think this Dandy would never get done ...... but he started it whilst we were away and you can bet your bottom dollar when it's done it will be fantastic.

My dads an electrician by trade but spent his life maintaining machinery at an engineering company, he will have a go at anything and built his own extensions on his house fitted his own bathrooms and ten years ago built another and fitted it all out as a kitchen on his bungalow ...... he will turn his hand to anything. He's been bored but says doing the Dandy has made him feel like he's back in the workshop and he's loving it Very Happy in the end, we get another Dandy to play out in Laughing

I think I'll take my laptop with me today so I can pick his brains a bit about what his plans are and type it down What a Face 
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:23 am

Is he planning to swap the backplates? Someone did this so that they could just buy the stub axles to renew their suspension.
Where did you get the refurbished suspension?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

I've had my mind settled, he's showed us exactly how the braking system will work using part of the rod system and part cable ..... we think it'll work out just fine.

The suspension units are a collaboration from my uncles old units and from my old suspension. My brother & uncle have worked together to make a good set that is now on my pops Dandy, I trust that between them they have come up with a good working suspension. As you know I've not been home for a long while and although my dad has some pics on his phone ....... pictures were not a priority for the 3 musketeers Rolling Eyes  my uncle only came up for a short visit and ended up roped in Laughing You can't actually refurb an indespension unit as it's a sealed unit, the best two have been used ...... one from my trailer and one from my uncles ........ both 500kg.

It sits fine on the indespension unit's, everything is level and looks good the brakes were worn and I've been told they have been sorted. If it works out in the end we should have a cracking Dandy and if not (when the weight of everything goes back on and back in) because of the way the suspension has now been mounted we can always buy new units and replace altogether as we did with our Dandy ...... I'll let you know if we end up doing that and I will keep my camera handy to show how the brakes are going to work.

Most of this is trial and error at the moment, the main thing is that the pvc is good, the interior is going to be original and is in mighty fine condition considering the age, the awning is in excellent condition and the chassis is great too ....... the suspension is looking good but we'll have to see how it performs in the end and if necessary it can always be changed for new and now I know what he is doing with the braking system I have confidence that will work out fine and allow for cabled brakes and new units should they be required.

Mark ....... thanks, he's now not filling the holes and using the old sides as a template.  he has already filled quite a few though so will have to drill them out again ...... at least we can still see & feel where they were

Kevin, when you say back plates do you mean mounting plates ? they have put new ones on

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:39 pm

Men at work

The pieces of box section in the background are what pop's was given, he used them to make new leg holders and the leftover bits are put on top of the framework with the cover over so the cover doesn't just drop in.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:56 pm

I can't use a hand held mask or even one on a head frame and hinge. Came to things late and use a UV sensitive one. if I use the other masks I start welding about 3 inches away from where I intended to.

The brakes on your Dad's Dandy were they the old Bradley or B&B hitch with manual reverse or was the hitch the intermediate B&B hitch that did auto reverse with rod brakes. like what was on "The Pikey Pit"?
That's reminded me I spoke to someone at AL-KO about old hitch systems and sent him an email but never got service details about that system.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting I for I were for where etc.)
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:35 pm

I don't know much about them, on his there's a clip you lift up rather than the damper ........ I assume that's the older type where you have to manually lift it before reversing Question  oh I wish he knew how to use a computer but he has no inclination to learn No 

That bit seems jammed and doesn't move even when the clips off so it's coming off whilst he sorts it out ...... will let you know how he gets on but it's bank holiday and for us that means

Oh and I think John looks so sexy with a welding mask lol! something about a man physically working Twisted Evil 
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

It will be interesting to see what your dad comes up with then.

No comment on the John being sexy in a welding mask. affraid affraid affraid
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

They'll still reverse in the same way Kevin, by flipping the clip first ...... I did have my doubts as did John but after going around and him showing us the old system and what he plans to do with it ......... we have faith bounce 

We will make sure that there are pictures to show what he doe's and success or failure I'll post them and let you know
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

Good work there Helen, or Helens dad, interesting to follow :-),
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:43 am

The new floor is in now, I was surprised at how good the condition of the old one was though, the edges were a bit tatty but it felt solid enough ....... made sense to put a new one in though while it's all been dismantled.

The lino is amazing ....... I'll take some pics as soon as I can.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:41 pm

Having managed to find the sd card in my pops phone I got hold of his photo's Very Happy 

Not sure of what he was up to in most of them but here they are anyway

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:45 pm

I think he took some of the pics to remind himself how it goes back when rebuilding

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm

New floor is marine ply and it's been varnished several times with yacht varnish

And the fantastic original lino back in, the holes are where the original water and waste are

Seating being rebuilt

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:59 pm

Cleaned up

Wheel makeover

I have lots more pictures but have to wade through all my photo's to find them as when they upload they automatically go in date order and some have gone astray until I find them What a Face
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm

Nice progress Helen,as for where your pictures go i have just bought a new desk top with windows 8 affraid  at the moment its a battle of wills when ever i use it.

mike
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm

I know they are there Mike .......... I just don't know where lol! 

Does anyone know what colour the original curtains would have been ? we only have the naff ones it came with and would like to put something more suitable in when it's done.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:51 pm

the photo's are great I am still looking for my sd card thingy as after my laptop has been wiped out cant do a thing with it any way love the heads up on what to expect and my question is how thick is your marine ply I got 3mm marine now thinking its to thin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 8:25 am