Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Floor height from ground?

Share
avatar
sonicboom70

Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-04-30

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by sonicboom70 on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:47 am

Tyre size has a big factor to i changed our old original crossply tyres to new 145 bias belt tyres and the whole back end of trailer just dropped loads,we ended up lowering the tow ball on the car to compensate,got it level now though.It was just the tyre profile height differance Smile Smile
avatar
sonicboom70

Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-04-30

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by sonicboom70 on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:51 am

sonicboom70 wrote:Tyre size has a big factor to i changed our old original crossply tyres to new 145 bias belt tyres and the whole back end of trailer just dropped loads,we ended up lowering the tow ball on the car to compensate,got it level now though.It was just the tyre profile height differance Smile Smile
Sorry this reply should have gone on page 1 my fault sorry lol

hannah3dog

Posts : 75
Join date : 2012-07-26

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by hannah3dog on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:08 am

Plenty of advice - very helpful!

Yes we have CO monitor as we use camping gas lantern which also gives off a lot of heat

Yes I am going to fit sheet of galvanised metal as heat deflector plate

Comment on tyre profile/ride height very interesting. Does anyone have any comments as I may get new tyres

My spare is held underneath by two nuts to a flange. Its a sod to get the spare on/off as you have to crawl underneath and hold it as you bolt/unbolt it. I also banged my own nut several times when undersealing it!

I think I'll go for the standard flush installation to start with

avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3176
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 11:16 am

Had to use two different sites as metric tyre sizing calculators don't do imperial sizes. 145/80R10 is 486mm and 5.20 X 10 (some people have reported problems finding this size) 500mm. So only 14mm in diameter or 7mm higher.
I can't remember do crossplys not deform as much as radials so ride higher?
avatar
Retro

Posts : 41
Join date : 2013-09-05

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by Retro on Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:17 pm

Tow Itch wrote:Had to use two different sites as metric tyre sizing calculators don't do imperial sizes. 145/80R10 is 486mm and 5.20 X 10 (some people have reported problems finding this size) 500mm. So only 14mm in diameter or 7mm higher.
I can't remember do crossplys not deform as much as radials so ride higher?
Yes, crossplies generally have stiffer sidewalls. That's one of the main reasons passenger cars now use radials... the ride is better.

You can get quite a variance in overall width, diameter and rolling radius of tyres labelled with the same size sourced from different manufacturers.
avatar
sonicboom70

Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-04-30

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by sonicboom70 on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 7:46 am

hannah3dog wrote:Plenty of advice - very helpful!

Yes we have CO monitor as we use camping gas lantern which also gives off a lot of heat

Yes I am going to fit sheet of galvanised metal as heat deflector plate

Comment on tyre profile/ride height very interesting. Does anyone have any comments as I may get new tyres

My spare is held underneath by two nuts to a flange. Its a sod to get the spare on/off as you have to crawl underneath and hold it as you bolt/unbolt it. I also banged my own nut several times when undersealing it!

I think I'll go for the standard flush installation to start with

HI i wanted to get radials for mine but when i ordered off the tyre people they sent 145b instead of 145r,they said that that was the only ones they do,they are better than crossply but they are'nt as good as 145r would be,as i towed my sisters conway tt it has 145r bridge stones on,god it follows like a dream and corners spot on, and don't budge ,they are well good tyres.You could put your spare on top of dandy when folded up then put top cover over thats were mine is never fell on to the road yet lol:D
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6826
Join date : 2011-06-12

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by Helen on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:05 am

If your putting a tyre on top of a Dandy and under the cover ....... make sure you put it in a bag of some description. Once the tyre marks the roof it will never come off - something to do with a chemical reaction I've heard but we have had a dandy with a wheel/tyre mark on the roof and it didn't come off no matter what.
avatar
sonicboom70

Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-04-30

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by sonicboom70 on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:56 pm

Helen wrote:If your putting a tyre on top of a Dandy and under the cover ....... make sure you put it in a bag of some description. Once the tyre marks the roof it will never come off - something to do with a chemical reaction I've heard but we have had a dandy with a wheel/tyre mark on the roof and it didn't come off no matter what.
Good point helen ,we put it on the wood side it seem to grip well to the woods varnish hopfully doesn't move,but understand what you are saying good point

navver

Posts : 995
Join date : 2013-01-03

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by navver on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm

Don't worry, it's only ever previous owners who do silly things like putting a spare wheel on the roof, or so the adverts always say. Present owners never do any damage.
avatar
sonicboom70

Posts : 45
Join date : 2012-04-30

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by sonicboom70 on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 7:29 am

  
navver wrote:Don't worry, it's only ever previous owners who do silly things like putting a spare wheel on the roof, or so the adverts always say. Present owners never do any damage.

Sponsored content

Re: Floor height from ground?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 8:17 am