Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

leisure battery box

fearful wizard

leisure battery box

Post by fearful wizard on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm

Thinking about buying one of these, anyone got one?
Easy way of transporting 12v power. Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: leisure battery box

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 5:56 pm

Hello Pete.

Seemed to be issues with that post on two separate threads and non linking links. It's me who removed all the other bits.

I have something similar but not. Mine is in the No2 Destiny and is just a battery box under the seat wired to 2 12V sockets. Now you may well realise that I'm not the biggest battery fan but it depends what suits you.
My reasoning is if you are on 240V why bother and if you are not LED light wands don't need a car battery and are easy to recharge also Tilley lights look better. Pour water or use a whale pump. Car batteries are expensive and problematic.
So saying that you are going to have 12V your battery box looks preferable as it has a car charger plug attached to it. So charge at home and charge when you go out whilst away.
So if you are using a battery, one in a mobile box seems sensible.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 6:09 pm

I have the leisure battery from the dandy, and i am just planning to use it for the tv and lighting as i am camping on my own
I have a trade card for JTF, and bought a 500 watt inverter from them for £25 (normal price £50)
Also a neighbour gave me two 15 watt solar panels to keep the battery charged.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 6:29 pm

Not sure but think that you want the smallest possible inverter that will run the appliance. I think there is some loss from the inverter itself. There are laptop power leads that attach to a cigarette lighter socket: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ah well if you want the telly you will need a 12v battery. Me I'm thinking about uprating to radio: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Retro

Post by Retro on Sat 07 Sep 2013, 7:00 pm

Tow Itch wrote:Not sure but think that you want the smallest possible inverter that will run the appliance. I think there is some loss from the inverter itself. /
I compared the no load power consumption of two 150w inverters we have, one fan cooled the other not... 0.6A (7.2w) and 0.14A (1.7w) respectively. There is likely to be heavier losses from higher capacity inverters.

We don't tend to use the Dandy where an electric hookup is available so we rely on a leisure battery and the fanless inverter if we need 240v. That is normally only to run a laptop. Everything else we have runs off 12v.

For short trips we just use a tiny 12v Varley Red Top 8 gel racing battery.
bedwok

Post by bedwok on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:02 pm

I have one very similar....... personally I find it very useful. I also plug one of the multi 12v sockets in which has 3 cigarette sockets and a usb socket which is quite useful. Don't forget if your charging your battery off the solar panels you will need a resistor ( of a suitable resistance) in line to prevent overcharging your battery. It's a simple calculation if you know the full potential output of your solar panels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm