Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hello from manchester

size_11

Hello from manchester

Post by size_11 on Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:39 pm

Hello all,

Having chatted to a fello dandy owner and spending a while looking at folding campers , it became apparent I should look at the dandy. I have two small children who love camping but a wife who likes the Glamping side , so a dandy fits the bill. Like the look of the destiny, but like some on here trying to find a dandy........... that can accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids.Any help would be welcome.

I like the idea of the dandy as we can use it for long weekends...and then who knows !!Rolling Eyes 

So my search starts here...like the forum by the way its very informative

Andrew
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Re: Hello from manchester

Post by Phoenix on Wed 25 Sep 2013, 11:13 pm

Hi and  size_11 and family  

If you want information on Dandy's you have come to the right place. Smile 
If you want camping and glamping you are making a wise choice.

As for which one to go for depends on what you want and what suits your budget etc. If you are handy and good at DIY some of the older ones come up for sale well worth the money. Newer ones obviously are more money but ready to go without too much tinkering. The thing about Dandy's is once you get one you will probably want to tinker with it though.Laughing

We have the best of both worlds with Phoenix our 4 berth that we use for short stays and Dylan our 6 berth with awning which we use for longer stays. Both quite happily house us 2 and our 2 four legged friends. If you want plenty of room the 6 is the way to go though.

size_11

Post by size_11 on Wed 25 Sep 2013, 11:30 pm

Thanks . I think at the moment i would prefer a 6 , but if the right 4 came along who knows. Coming from a tent background staying in the dandy without an awning appeals as I got fed up of sweating for 2 hours pegging the tent out ...but like you say for longer periods , an awning gives you that bit more ..
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:05 am

We set our 6 up including its awning a couple of weeks ago for a weeks stay and it probably took us a couple of hours including everything. We hadn't put it up for a year though so had to think about it a little bit, wouldn't say we broke out in a sweat though.

We then helped Mr Itch put his Designer up a couple of days later when he came to visit including awning and that didn't take much more than an hour, once he and the site owner had decided where it was going. lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:32 am

think the 6 is the best for room don't forget the brown ones they are a good price and you can do so much to them

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 7:14 am

Hi, welcome to the Dandy Campers ...... have you been inside a Dandy 5 berth, your very welcome to come take a look at our designer and see how easy it is to put up and the space you get inside, I'd go for the biggest Dandy I could accommodate at home if there were more than just the two of us camping as the time they take to put up isn't much different but our drive is only big enough for what we have now.  
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:06 am

Though owning a Destiny (Well others as well) I'd have to say that for a family a 6 gives a lot of options. Enough room with just the base Dandy erected and then the option to put up the awning for longer stays. It all depends on what you are used to and want. If the kids are young you may find enough space in a 5/Designer/Discovery but kids grow and Dandys tend to last.
If you go to look at a 6 and it's a struggle to put up the sides then the gas struts are likely to be missing or not working. Don't let that sort of example put you off.

size_11

Seen a dandy that I like

Post by size_11 on Thu 26 Sep 2013, 4:03 pm

Hello all thanks for your replies.

I have seen the following dandy

preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108987120/dandy-designer-folding-camper.html

Seems in good nick , will arrange a viewing . Shame it does not have an awning but I have a day tent I can use in the meantime  MAy try and haggle on the price as it does not have the awning !!

Andrew
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:29 am

size_11 wrote:Hello all thanks for your replies.

I have seen the following dandy

preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108987120/dandy-designer-folding-camper.html

Seems in good nick , will arrange a viewing . Shame it does not have an awning but I have a day tent I can use in the meantime  MAy try and haggle on the price as it does not have the awning !!

Andrew
Hello. Even copying the link doesn't work. Please try again then we can see what you are looking at.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:09 am

The only designer I could find on there comes with an awning and a propex heater ..... it's priced to sell too.
Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:01 am

Is this the one.

The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

Pollyanna wrote:Is this the one.

If that is the one it looks nice.

size_11

Post by size_11 on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 1:45 pm

Hi , yes that is the one , I cant paste links for another few days being a newbie..thanks so much for all your feedback ..I dont even get this much help at work lol
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 28 Sep 2013, 7:39 am

The one your looking at is fully insulated, there is another that has an awning but the walls are single skin but it has a propex heater fitted - it is a very good price and not too far away, just depends on what you want.  

navver

Post by navver on Sat 28 Sep 2013, 8:26 pm

Hi Size_11, we have a designer but are only the two of us. You may find it cramped with 4 of you without an awning. We don't have an awning but have a sun canopy and an underbed skirt. The canopy gives us a lovely outside space as long as it's fairly warm and the underbed skirt is very useful for storage. We have a porta-potti which we take inside at night.

If we had more room at home to store it, we would have a six or destiny. I think the biggest problem for us is storage inside the unit. My wife insists on taking everything whereas I could fit all mine in a carrier bag without too much trouble. An awning will give you more options for storage including the kids toys etc.

size_11

FINALLY....I have a dandy

Post by size_11 on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm

All,

Many thanks for all your help and replies. This forum is brilliant. I think I have read most of it and have just purchased my first dandy and a destiny 1997.
Its got original awning and a smaller quicker one and skirts. I can now start to make it my own. No doubt I will be back to see how things fit and connect etc ..Also have to sort a towbar as cant keep borrowing the sisters car ...bounce will get some pictures on when i have calmed down lol

navver

Post by navver on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:11 pm

That's brilliant news, sounds like you got the ideal set up there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Jul 2018, 11:27 pm