Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy 4 Weight

hannah3dog

Dandy 4 Weight

Post by hannah3dog on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Out of interest I put my Dandy 4 (orange 1970s) on a public weighbridge this morning

The weight is 340 Kg (6.7cwt) without spare wheel or awning. It includes the cooker, 2 light chairs and table, and a half full 4.5kg gasbottle. Its dry.
I am posting this in case its of interest to anyone else as according to my old brochure it should weigh 5cwt (250Kg).
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Dandy 4 Weight

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 11 Oct 2013, 8:41 am

I'm presuming it wasn't 5mm or 6mm angle you welded on so I'd only allow a few pounds extra for your welding!

The weight doesn't surprise me too much though I might have expected a bit less than 340Kg. The later Dandys increased in weight. e.g. Heavier kitchens and a change to steel bed frames. Ian revised the ex works weights but stated that it wasn't all additional weight from his manufacture and that Dandys had previously had a very cursory look at weighbridges.

hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog on Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:46 am

Hi Tow Itch I got quite a shock when I weighed it. I also tow a 300 Kg sailing dinghy behind my Peugeot and didn't think the Dandy was any lighter though it was quoted at 5cwt in the brochure. I think its completely original with wooden bed frames and I don't see how the kitchen could be made lighter. The stove is a flavel Vanessa and the 1mm steel I've added weighs around 5Kg + 1Kg for undersealing!
I'll admit to saying "are you sure" to the lady on the weighbridge who actually came out of her office to make sure nothing else was on it!
I presume trades description weren't very active then but I think you'd get a bit of a shock if you put it behind a motorcycle or Reliant Robin. Dandy must have known it was miles out - naughty naughty. Its all academic to me as it tows fine but the information may be of interest to someone with a light car/motorbike. It would be interesting for someone else to weigh theirs.

navver

Post by navver on Fri 11 Oct 2013, 10:33 pm

There weren't really any towing weight limitations in the 70s and not many motorways so most towing would be on ordinary roads at much lower speeds than today's speeds. There would probably have been far less weigh bridges too.

Back in the 60's my fathers 1964 Hillman Minx towing a 1955 Palladin 16ft caravan could only manage 38mph before snaking wildly. No idea what it would have weighed. I think someone told him he could tow 1 1/4 cwt per 100cc. The Minx was 1600cc so that would be 20cwt, about 1000kg. He had no idea how heavy the caravan was.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 21 Jul 2017, 7:31 am