Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy over run brakes

mike
Dandy Owner

Dandy over run brakes

Post by mike on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:46 pm

This may make interesting reading,or not Very Happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Dandy over run brakes

Post by mike on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I think this sheet was issued with new dandys.

mike
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

yep we have a laminated copy of that with our Dandy
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:31 am

This is what the brake shoes look like notice the one on a sliding carrier to allow the brakes to release during reversing.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 10:37 pm

A more complete guide to brakes and hubs from Knott.

Including a fault finding guide.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You may have to click on reload after the link appears.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 12:14 am

Tow Itch wrote: A more complete guide to brakes and hubs from Knott.

neeeded this as learnt last week that 4/5 Daisy has no breaks opps
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:03 am

Caz1960 wrote:
Tow Itch wrote: A more complete guide to brakes and hubs from Knott.

neeeded this as learnt last week that 4/5 Daisy has no breaks opps

Good to have a look at them but which way was it going when you discovered you couldn't stop it?

If it was rolling backwards the brake needs to be firmly applied because the auto reverse can actuate.
Then it's just the power of the spring that continues to hold the brake.

I gather if you have been pushing backwards and then roll forwards without the drawbar being pulled fully forward then things can go a bit wrong as well. But not quite worked this bit out.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 18 Apr 2012, 1:14 am

she towed well with the Volvo but didn't feel like the 6 on braking, anyway last week when I moved her by hand thought the brakes were off ( they we not) she moved back and forward easily .. so we were looking into the manual for the trailer when I spotted your post but it is going to have to be a job when I get back as must get the 6 up to scratch ..

fred7

1995 discovery brakes

Post by fred7 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm

Hi
we have a 1995 dandy discovery & wondered if anyone can help with a problem we have with the brakes locking on when reversing up a slope into the garage.We can't pull the dandy in forwards with the car due to the location.

There doesn't seem to be a way of overiding this on the current braking system.
Has anyone found a solution to this??

Any hints or tips would be welcome.

Fred

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

I took my dandy to a local garage to have the brakes adjusted and they did the same,the guy there said the hitch was no good but instead of doing anything about that i tool it to a caravan service center they adjusted the brakes and i have had no problem since,so i put it down in my case to incorrect adjustment.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

Would just add the caravan center moved some brackets ? and adjusted the cables where the guy at the garage tried to do it by only adjusting the shoes.
John

Post by John on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:29 pm

just get the indespension catalogue it will tell you every thing you need to know about brakes and their adjustment. s Very Happy imples
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

John wrote:just get the indespension catalogue it will tell you every thing you need to know about brakes and their adjustment. s Very Happy imples

I'd agree with John that wrt the Dandy or trailers in general the Indespension catalogue is just about the best £5 you can spend. It provides much more information than a mere catalogue.
Try the Knott guide mentioned above from page 11 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It's good because it explains the problems.
Check any spaces or adjustment dimensions and use the ones given in the single sheet posted by Mike above. The Knott details are a good guide but not necessarily the correct dimensions for your trailer.
Even with perfectly adjusted brakes there can be occasional problems reversing up hill. Check if you still have a problem reversing on the flat then adjust the brakes and over run as described. If you still have problems report back.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

Just a blonde and female question but could the damper be knackered Embarassed I must get that manual out and learn a bit more.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:12 pm

We have a throw over arm/spacer which when flipped over on to the hitch shaft stops it moving back and engaging the brakes.

We have a 4 wheeled builders type trailer that has the over run/collapsible brakes. It can be a pain to reverse loaded and or up hill. A quick fix to get over this is to put a block of wood in to stop the hitch from moving back when reversing. Obviously remove it when driving. Smile

fred7

Post by fred7 on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help and pointers,will report back how we get on...

Cheers

Fred
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:20 pm

Phoenix wrote:We have a throw over arm/spacer which when flipped over on to the hitch shaft stops it moving back and engaging the brakes.

We have a 4 wheeled builders type trailer that has the over run/collapsible brakes. It can be a pain to reverse loaded and or up hill. A quick fix to get over this is to put a block of wood in to stop the hitch from moving back when reversing. Obviously remove it when driving. Smile

Just thinking your tip will help all the other B&B hitch users = you. When you come out with the perfect 30 second cure.

Block the hitch from coming back. Not the elegant big solution to the problem but it lets you reverse.

fred7

Post by fred7 on Wed 02 May 2012, 9:40 pm

Hi
thanks for all your good advice, after a rethink we have purchased a 2nd hand "big foot" mover and are going to see if that does the trick.

Cheers

Fred
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 02 May 2012, 10:48 pm

fred7 wrote:Hi
thanks for all your good advice, after a rethink we have purchased a 2nd hand "big foot" mover and are going to see if that does the trick.

Cheers

Fred

????????
Is the big foot a caravan mover attached to the wheels? I for some reason have the mental image of one operating through the hitch. If so still the same problem when going back.
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
Phoenix wrote:We have a throw over arm/spacer which when flipped over on to the hitch shaft stops it moving back and engaging the brakes.

Just thinking your tip will help all the other B&B hitch users = you. When you come out with the perfect 30 second cure.

Block the hitch from coming back. Not the elegant big solution to the problem but it lets you reverse.
hi phoenix just reading through this and i had the same problem today ,,i went to reverse the dandy and nothing ! do i do somethng to the hitch ! is it something to do with the black rubbery thing sorry don't know much about trailers firt timer Laughing
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm

The hitch on the 6 is not like the one on Phoenix so you won't have the flip over arm/spacer. If you or your other half look at the black rubbery thing as you try to reverse you will see the hitch moves back which puts the brakes on, the brakes are supposed to collapse as the trailer goes backwards allowing you to reverse. A lot of people have problems with this especially reversing up hill. The brakes might need cleaning up and adjusting. A quick way of allowing the trailer to be reversed is to stop the hitch from moving backwards while reversing with a block of wood. We can have a look at ours tomorrow and put a picture on of how to do it if you want. Smile
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:18 pm

Phoenix wrote:The hitch on the 6 is not like the one on Phoenix so you won't have the flip over arm/spacer. If you or your other half look at the black rubbery thing as you try to reverse you will see the hitch moves back which puts the brakes on, the brakes are supposed to collapse as the trailer goes backwards allowing you to reverse. A lot of people have problems with this especially reversing up hill. The brakes might need cleaning up and adjusting. A quick way of allowing the trailer to be reversed is to stop the hitch from moving backwards while reversing with a block of wood. We can have a look at ours tomorrow and put a picture on of how to do it if you want. Smile
PLEASE if you dont mind me being such a girl ha ha i will get her serviced when i get back just need her ready for monday ,,,,,dont really want to take my tent in this wheather Sad
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:26 am

O'er thought I'd come on to the wrong site with descriptions of large black rubbery things.
Don't like to agree with Mike or Phoenix too often as it sets the wrong tone but all you need to know is covered in this topic. Brakes sticking in reverse is a classic.
The information is covered in 2 links and a copy of instructions at the beginning. Phoenix gives a 30 second trick to get round things at the end.
Best of luck.
Bet it's been a full week.
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:35 am

Tow Itch wrote: O'er thought I'd come on to the wrong site with descriptions of large black rubbery things.
Don't like to agree with Mike or Phoenix too often as it sets the wrong tone but all you need to know is covered in this topic. Brakes sticking in reverse is a classic.
The information is covered in 2 links and a copy of instructions at the beginning. Phoenix gives a 30 second trick to get round things at the end.
Best of luck.
this week has really tested me being it the tyres the last few days and no number plate lights an then I get to tow her last night and she wouldn't reverse urrrg,,my friend says get rid but I can't,I love my dandy ha ha its only teething problems and its only that I need her ready for monday its a good job this forum is here as you guys are really good at answering any probs that occur .
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:47 am

vnuala wrote:
Tow Itch wrote: O'er thought I'd come on to the wrong site with descriptions of large black rubbery things.
Best of luck.
this week has really tested me being it the tyres the last few days and no number plate lights an then I get to tow her last night and she wouldn't reverse urrrg,,my friend says get rid but I can't,I love my dandy ha ha its only teething problems and its only that I need her ready for monday its a good job this forum is here as you guys are really good at answering any probs that occur .

As you say teething troubles,most owners cant reverse there dandy any way but you have the easiest one to learn with, the 6 being longer gives you more warning its going in the wrong direction.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:23 am