Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy over run brakes

Billy

Re: Dandy over run brakes

Post by Billy on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm

Hi, Are new shoes still available or do I have to get them re lined?
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:26 pm

Billy wrote: Hi, Are new shoes still available or do I have to get them re lined?

I did mange to find some new ones but they where expensive,it turned out i didn't need then so never looked any further,cant remember where but i bet towhitch knows
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:42 pm

Reversing affraid

We got ourselves one of these instead [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We never quite got the hang of reversing as it's easy enough to pull it into position with one of these
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:44 pm

vnuala wrote:
Phoenix wrote:The hitch on the 6 is not like the one on Phoenix so you won't have the flip over arm/spacer. If you or your other half look at the black rubbery thing as you try to reverse you will see the hitch moves back which puts the brakes on, the brakes are supposed to collapse as the trailer goes backwards allowing you to reverse. A lot of people have problems with this especially reversing up hill. The brakes might need cleaning up and adjusting. A quick way of allowing the trailer to be reversed is to stop the hitch from moving backwards while reversing with a block of wood. We can have a look at ours tomorrow and put a picture on of how to do it if you want. Smile
PLEASE if you dont mind me being such a girl ha ha i will get her serviced when i get back just need her ready for monday ,,,,,dont really want to take my tent in this wheather Sad

Vnuala

We have just looked at Dylan's our 6's hitch, which was a bit awkward as he is erected in the drive at the moment.
This is NOT recommended as a permanent solution but a way of getting out of a muddle. Make sure nobody is in the way if the wood flies out or splits. If you do do it like this make sure you reverse slowly and gently so as not to bend anything.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:56 pm

Phoenix wrote:
vnuala wrote:
Phoenix wrote:The hitch on the 6 is not like the one on Phoenix so you won't have the flip over arm/spacer. If you or your other half look at the black rubbery thing as you try to reverse you will see the hitch moves back which puts the brakes on, the brakes are supposed to collapse as the trailer goes backwards allowing you to reverse. A lot of people have problems with this especially reversing up hill. The brakes might need cleaning up and adjusting. A quick way of allowing the trailer to be reversed is to stop the hitch from moving backwards while reversing with a block of wood. We can have a look at ours tomorrow and put a picture on of how to do it if you want. Smile
PLEASE if you dont mind me being such a girl ha ha i will get her serviced when i get back just need her ready for monday ,,,,,dont really want to take my tent in this wheather Sad
Thanks for that I have been out this morning with my son and we have found a little arm that flips over to stop it moving thank god so hopefully all will be ok now.
Vnuala

We have just looked at Dylan's our 6's hitch, which was a bit awkward as he is erected in the drive at the moment.
This is NOT recommended as a permanent solution but a way of getting out of a muddle. Make sure nobody is in the way if the wood flies out or splits. If you do do it like this make sure you reverse slowly and gently so as not to bend anything.

Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:01 pm

Sounds like you have a hitch similar to Phoenix.
Could you put a pic on.
We know Mr Itch would be interested to see as well as us. Smile
vnuala

Post by vnuala on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:18 pm

Phoenix wrote:Sounds like you have a hitch similar to Phoenix.
Could you put a pic on.
We know Mr Itch would be interested to see as well as us. Smile
the dandy isn't at mine at the min its in a friends garage but going away on monday so will take pics and put them on but its just an arm about the lenghth of the black rubbery thing and about 1inch wide and as you push the hitch back slowly you then push the arm in and it slots into a little bracket hope this makes sense I will put pics on as soon as I get her.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 3:26 pm

Yes it does make sense. Will be interesting to see the pics later. Smile

Good luck for your trip. sunny
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 10:29 pm

mike wrote:
Billy wrote: Hi, Are new shoes still available or do I have to get them re lined?

I did mange to find some new ones but they where expensive,it turned out i didn't need then so never looked any further,cant remember where but i bet towhitch knows

Not stripped the brakes or more accurately needed to measure the shoes. I had a strange conversation about there being more than one casting number for drums (I know you can have more than 1 number for the same component sometimes so not sure what that means)
Do I remember something about Indespension no longer producing hubs that are exactly the same? Please someone bring me up to speed.
Brake shoes not normally worn any idea why? What do the drums look like? Sorry Billy as you mess around with machinery I know you'd see worn drums but you have to ask.
Places to look to buy shoes. Off the top of my head.
Indespension but others may be cheaper. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Trailer Tek [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Or numerous other trailer spare retailers.
If things get tight then as they are Knott brakes either Knott UK's site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or Peak Trailers who use Knott brakes and though not advertising brake spares as such will cover spares for their own trailers and are customer friendly. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As long as the brakes are not the pre 1989 160 X 35mm brake shoes I might try a PM to Helen, John or others who have replaced their suspension. I know both Helen and John had post 1990 Dandys.

If it gets down to re lining then you may want to deal with someone local but this company have a good reputation [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 2:46 am

Just cutting and pasting this from another post. It is to reference that there are actually three different brake shoes. As it's from another post it refers to conversation not on here but that's not the important bit.

With respect to the brakes: Unless they had received the mother of all hammerings they will just require adjustment. This is good as pre 1989 brakes can be very costly. You use 160mm X 35mm brakes. See the price difference here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] From a kit for a full axle at £64.96 (K16035) For post 1989 to £58.98 for shoes for one side with no springs (WB S22) For pre 1989.

Sorry for this last bit I know you say you are not technical, this is more a book mark for me.
We have seen prices for pre and post 1989 Knott brake components but looking at Knott's own website it appears that there were pre 1988 brakes. 1988 to 1990 brakes and post 1990 brakes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pre 1988 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MK 2 1988 to 1990 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MK 3 1990 onwards [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wonder why we only ever see two types quoted if they built 3?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 8:29 am