Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Front Locker Box - Replacement or Restoration Project

KB

Front Locker Box - Replacement or Restoration Project

Post by KB on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

Noticed this Fiamma Ultra Storage Box on E-Bay which looks as if it would make a good match with a Dandy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Front Locker Box - Replacement or Restoration Project

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

KB wrote:Noticed this Fiamma Ultra Storage Box on E-Bay which looks as if it would make a good match with a Dandy

At this point about 1/6th the price of a new one.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Storage-Boxes-for-caravan-and-motorhome/Fiamma-Ultra-box-360

KB

Post by KB on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 8:34 pm

Just seen another one too, although this version appears to be designed to be fixed to the rear of a motorhome - see the red reflectors - but there would seem to be no reason why it couldn't easily be adapted for use on a Dandy A Frame provided the 60 cm depth doesn't obstruct the space needed to open any window or the placement of a bed base.

Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 12:55 pm

I'm sure that I added a response showing pictures of my front box, but it appears to have gone away. Whatever ... I'll try again.

This is the box I bought for £15

After painting and securely bolting to the 'A' frame (also repainted)

And the inside

Note the overlength carpet to line the box and to form double thickness folds between the battery and the gas bottles. There's also a separate layer on the bottom.

Being of an all steel construction it will cope with a lot of abuse for many years without putting a lot of weight onto the back of the car and allows a strong secure hasp and padlock. Very handy as the Dandy will have to be left in a vulnerable position for a while until I can clear out enough space to fit it into my garage.

navver

Post by navver on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 9:11 pm

It looks good Sir Henry, but is the box ventilated to prevent the buiild up of gas? Vents should be in the bottom as the gas is heavier than air. Could be nasty especially with the battery and EHU in there as well.

Sir Henry

Post by Sir Henry on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm

There's ventilation at the back where water kicked up from the road and the towing vehicle won't be splashed in. Although in normal use I don't expect that I will be completely securing the lid - which is also far from airtight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 4:11 am