Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Share
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Just become a Dandy Destiny owner

Post by Coastman on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 11:33 am

Just bought a Destiny High side.  Can't wait to try it out!
avatar
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6835
Join date : 2011-06-12

Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Helen on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 4:01 pm

Hello Coastman and welcome to the Dandy Campers forum  Hope you enjoy your Dandy as much as the rest of us enjoy ours
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Bought but needs to be collected

Post by Coastman on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

Helen wrote:Hello Coastman and welcome to the Dandy Campers forum  Hope you enjoy your Dandy as much as the rest of us enjoy ours
Thanks

We will I'm sure. We used to own a very old AJC Contessa with the same layout and had 19 holidays in that.
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3183
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:14 am

Hello Coastman

Sorry to be so slow to reply. For some reason your post wasn't highlighted as a new post so I only saw you after Helen posted and I then ran out of time to post.

A new Destiny very nice. I'm curious what sort you have.
The Highside Destinys are generally split into the older ones with an all aluminium tub with the threepenny bit ends and the later Riva Destinys with fibreglass ends and a bathroom.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The above images are taken from internet sites I can't credit the first images originator but I found it on a Polish site that had a page in praise of Dandys [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the second image was from Riva Dandy Sales [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However as always with Dandys there are more options than that. We have seen pictures of an early highside with square corners that was not threepenny bitted. Also there are a number (I believe in single figures) of the early style Destinys that were longer and have a bathroom.

So what do you have and when can we see the pictures? I can't remember if it's 7 day period or longer before you can host images so have a go and there are any problems I'll give you an email address to send them to.

Tried to do a google search of AJC Contessa to see what you had but could only find a company making catering vans can you put up a link to show what you had?
avatar
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Phoenix on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 8:12 pm

Hi and  Coastman Sorry for the late reply.

 on getting your Destiny.

Look forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your adventures.

Happy Camping.bounce bounce bounce

navver

Posts : 1002
Join date : 2013-01-03

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by navver on Fri 15 Nov 2013, 9:09 pm

That 1st picture is in the 1996 dandy brochure. The front box looks interesting. Can it be removed with the bed over it as it has a clip at the back but wouldn't a gas bottle stop it.
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3183
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 3:28 am

navver wrote:That 1st picture is in the 1996 dandy brochure. The front box looks interesting. Can it be removed with the bed over it as it has a clip at the back but wouldn't a gas bottle stop it.
You would need confirmation from a Highside owner but I think the lid is removable. The idea being that if the lid is removed before the bed is extended then the gas locker remains accessible.
On the newer Highsides I believe the same effect achieved by an internal door but whether the door is a factory fit or an owner modification I'm unsure.
avatar
peridot
Dandy Admin

Posts : 545
Join date : 2012-09-01
Location : Newport

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by peridot on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:18 pm


A big welcome to the High Side Club and the forums, Coastman.

The internal door on the Rivas is a user modification Tow Itch. I'm sure a similar mod could be implemented on the older units.

Unfortunately I had fitted an electrical connection/control unit on the box side of the wall before I realised how useful the internal door might be Crying or Very sad I may get around to moving it one day. There is still fairly good access to the box from underneath the bed - provided you've a hard head Wink 
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Coastman on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 10:27 am

Tow Itch wrote:Hello Coastman

Sorry to be so slow to reply. For some reason your post wasn't highlighted as a new post so I only saw you after Helen posted and I then ran out of time to post.

A new Destiny very nice. I'm curious what sort you have.
The Highside Destinys are generally split into the older ones with an all aluminium tub with the threepenny bit ends and the later Riva Destinys with fibreglass ends and a bathroom.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The above images are taken from internet sites I can't credit the first images originator but I found it on a Polish site that had a page in praise of Dandys [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the second image was from Riva Dandy Sales [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However as always with Dandys there are more options than that. We have seen pictures of an early highside with square corners that was not threepenny bitted. Also there are a number (I believe in single figures) of the early style Destinys that were longer and have a bathroom.

So what do you have and when can we see the pictures? I can't remember if it's 7 day period or longer before you can host images so have a go and there are any problems I'll give you an email address to send them to.

Tried to do a google search of AJC Contessa to see what you had but could only find a company making catering vans can you put up a link to show what you had?
Thanks for the reply
I've tried posting photos but with no success.  Give me that email address and I'll send photos.
My Dandy is like the one in the top picture, pale sky blue, high side.  Its been modified by the previous owner and now has:
3 way fridge, 4 burner hob and grill
No wardrobe by the door, but instead a low cupboard with drawers, which I prefer
Original layout for beds and table (so 4/6 berth)  The beds can also prop up to make sofas.
Strong shelving mounted on removable brackets
The cosmetic thin cotton roof liner
Great Curtains
A Dandy PVC awning
TV aerial point (won't get used)
Mains electric points as well as the 12V
No underfloor heating.

An extra heavy duty winter cover that covers the main unit and most of the tow bar, comes close to the ground.

Sadly, also two slightly buckled steadies which I'm hoping to sort out by swapping with an old tin tent, which acts as a double bedroom in the garden.

How can I find out what year it is?

The AJC Contessa was probably made by that catering firm.  They didn't make them for long.
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3183
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm

Standard fittings is not a term that can really be applied to Dandys, too many variations on most models.
Either the four or two burner hob could be fitted to Destinys. Likewise either one or both of the beds might hinge into settees.

I have mentioned the steadies within your other thread.

The serial number of which the date is the last four digits should be on the nearside of your A frame. Though on earlier Dandys the number might not be found by the 1990's the number should be there. It may be partially covered by the gas locker.
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Coastman on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

The Dandy is pitched, so I can't take the top off the gas box to look in.  I can't see any date plate at all on the A frame near either side of the gas box.
avatar
jake001

Posts : 340
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 72
Location : Warrington

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by jake001 on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:22 pm

this is how mine looks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Coastman on Fri 29 Nov 2013, 1:46 pm

Thanks, I was looking for a riveted on info plate! I doubt I'll find the date...
Part of the serial number is covered by a spirit level with rusty screws, the rest by the gas box!

Not bothered really, all the unit is in top notch condition apart from the two steadies, which although buckled are holding up.

I'm having difficulty putting up photos, I get to the 'copy' stage, but instead of then pasting the file location - my post gets lost when I try to paste in this text area.

We will be transferring stuff over from the tin tent soon....
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3183
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:06 am

Coastman wrote:Thanks, I was looking for a riveted on info plate!  I doubt I'll find the date...
Part of the serial number is covered by a spirit level with rusty screws, the rest by the gas box!

Not bothered really, all the unit is in top notch condition apart from the two steadies, which although buckled are holding up.

I'm having difficulty putting up photos, I get to the 'copy' stage, but instead of then pasting the file location - my post gets lost when I try to paste in this text area.

We will be transferring stuff over from the tin tent soon....
The email address to send photos to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] do post on here to say you have sent pictures as we tend not to check the inbox.
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Coastman on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:00 am

Several photos just emailed.
If there is a problem with them let me know.
avatar
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Phoenix on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:15 pm

Here you are Coastman.
No problem apart from Mr Itch putting them in the wrong place and saying its Someone elses.
Never leave him with the keys to it.   

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
Coastman

Posts : 11
Join date : 2013-11-03

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Coastman on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:48 pm

Doesn't need keys. Hungry dog in tow!
avatar
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Phoenix on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:04 pm

Coastman wrote:Doesn't need keys.  Hungry dog in tow!

You have the same security system as us.  Laughing

Sponsored content

Re: Just Bought A Destiny High Side.

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Sat 22 Sep 2018, 12:07 pm