Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Just bought a Dandy

willicrew

Just bought a Dandy

Post by willicrew on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 8:12 pm

Hi, feeling a bit daunted - just bought a 5 berth Dandy - green and white so late 60's early 70's I think. It's a bit rough and ready but it only cost £200. Need some advice on the following please. The trailer body could do with a fresh coat of paint - its fibreglass I think?- what's the best paint to use? The legs are a bit rusty and thus don't pull out easily - when you pull them out to place bed down how far do you pull them out? should the metal be through the 2 leg holders or just one? what is the best way to clean the legs up and make them glide easier? Due to the windy weather we haven't been able to put it up completely yet since we bought it - was put up when we bought it so we know it will go up!!!!! We have a roof string missing to help with erecting the Dandy but at the moment I am not sure how to use this string to help erect the roof - any videos? Many thanks Paula
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Just bought a Dandy

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

Hope this helps

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
willicrew

Post by willicrew on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

Thank you Helen - it does - however, when we pull the legs out they fall out of the leg holders - on this video it looks like there is something stopping that from happening - would love to hear if our are ok?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

you normally have something to stop that happening, on ours it's a self tapping screw and on my dads there is a hole with a nut and bolt through the end of the bar.

navver

Post by navver on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

Well done and congratulations.

The bed supports pull out as far as they will go and should be through both supports. There should be a square thin sort of nut pop riveted to the end of the horizontal bar to stop the leg coming out too far. The support should be out far enough to allow the bed to clip down on to it. The video shows that.

Cross posted. Screw, bolt, pop rivet, sounds like the standard dandy solution of making them all different again. just stick a stick of rhubarb through, that'll do it.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

You could use an outdoor gloss metal paint on the body if it's fibreglass, roller it with gloss rollers - don't brush it. Remember to degrease it then a suitable primer before painting. You could also use enamels but that would have to be sourced at a paint supplier or car body shop.

navver

Post by navver on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:09 pm

This may be interesting.

Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm

willicrew wrote:Hi, feeling a bit daunted - just bought a 5 berth Dandy - green and white so late 60's early 70's I think.  It's a bit rough and ready but it only cost £200.  Need some advice on the following please.  The trailer body could do with a fresh coat of paint - its fibreglass I think?- what's the best paint to use? The legs are a bit rusty and thus don't pull out easily - when you pull them out to place bed down how far do you pull them out? should the metal be through the 2 leg holders or just one? what is the best way to clean the legs up and make them glide easier? Due to the windy weather we haven't been able to put it up completely yet since we bought it - was put up when we bought it so we know it will go up!!!!! We have a roof string missing to help with erecting the Dandy but at the moment I am not sure how to use this string to help erect the roof - any videos? Many thanks Paula

What colour is the tub of your trailer, if its brown it will be phenolic ply which has a hard smooth surface. Not sure if they did fiberglass sides on the green ones, Mr Itch will know. As to what paint to use we cannot really advise as we replaced our sides and varnished them, then treated them with Bonda seal, as used on boats.

The best way to clean the rust off the legs is to give them a clean up with a wire brush and perhaps a rub over with some wet and dry sand paper. You could then give them a coat of Hammerite paint to make them look good. It will rub off in places with use though. They shouldn't pull through the leg holders, there should be a bolt through the sliding bit to stop it pulling right through. The leg should be more or less in the middle of the bed base.

See here.

The roof strings are tied onto the roof support hoops. You hook the other end onto the cleats or buttons that you tie the the roof strings when erected to. You may have to play around to get the correct length, but the idea is the string will raise the hoop as you lift the bed base over, in turn raising the roof. They are the bits of blue rope in the above picture. We did put a picture on here once illustrating one, will try and find it for you.

We must really learn to type quicker.  Laughing 
We see there have been several answers while we were putting this together.  lol! 
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 12:13 am

willicrew wrote:Hi, feeling a bit daunted - just bought a 5 berth Dandy - green and white so late 60's early 70's I think.  It's a bit rough and ready but it only cost £200.  Need some advice on the following please.  The trailer body could do with a fresh coat of paint - its fibreglass I think?- what's the best paint to use? The legs are a bit rusty and thus don't pull out easily - when you pull them out to place bed down how far do you pull them out? should the metal be through the 2 leg holders or just one? what is the best way to clean the legs up and make them glide easier? Due to the windy weather we haven't been able to put it up completely yet since we bought it - was put up when we bought it so we know it will go up!!!!! We have a roof string missing to help with erecting the Dandy but at the moment I am not sure how to use this string to help erect the roof - any videos? Many thanks Paula

As far as I know there was never a fibreglass tub. it went from phenolic ply to a plastic side. Upload the early eighties brochure from here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If it's the phenolic ply painted over the likelyhood is that the bottom of the tub is beginning to rot if plastic the sides will most probably have gone all wavy. Phenolic ply without rot or plastic without weave then you have something special.
Green 1960s or 1970s? An awning is the best guide of age.
Though you can't see an awning the flaps on this show it to have vertical walled awning which is 1960s

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My awning is sloped and 1970's

You might also notice PVC corner pieces in brown. Though that was very fleeting. It wasn't as solid as aluminium.

A late 70's Dandy with plastic sides might have a pressed steel coupling rather than a cast Bradley or B&B hitch.

You have certainly gone from one possibility to another in jumping from a 90s Dandy to a probable 60s or 70s one.

Photos would help us work out what you have. "We Love Photos Here."

I can't categorically say that there are no fibreglass sided Dandys. It could have been altered by a previous owner. It's not wise to say Dandy didn't do this or that. There are too many one offs to say much with certainty.

KB

Post by KB on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:53 am

I'm probably putting this in the wrong spot but I couldn't help noticing your spare wheel carrier; very practical.

I have a Designer and didn't notice the wheel carrier underneath the rear of the chassis until a month after owning it and reading an article I recall Helen had posted on here.

The spare on the one I bought was on kept on top under the cover but I'd like to find a better home for it. I wondered about adapting an ALKO type underslung spare carrier that could be pulled out on telescopic tubes quickly discounted the idea because ground clearance is at a premium but the idea of supporting one, either using some bolted on disc or other means, in a hinged carrier adapted to fit over the 'A' frame locker seems ideal.

The nose weight of the Dandy never seems high and I have no practical means of correcting the nose high attitude it seems to adopt in towing mode (caused entirely by EU regulations and type approved stipulations determining tow ball height- a drop plate would solve this but alas not with a new-ish car) so sticking my spare on the A frame may be the way to go.

Least no stains on the PVC!

Any thoughts?

navver

Post by navver on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm

There isn't much room at the front with a gas box on. Put it above the gas box and the lid won't open. Put it in front of the box and it'll probably foul the handbrake. Could fit on the side but will make the trailer wider.

I wonder if it would fit lying flat under a raised up gas box. perhaps in a plywood box with drop down flap lid on the side.

I keep mine in a black dustbin liner and put it in the boot when we go away along with the jack and other dandy tools.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

KB wrote:I'm probably putting this in the wrong spot but I couldn't help noticing your spare wheel carrier; very practical.

I have a Designer and didn't notice the wheel carrier underneath the rear of the chassis until a month after owning it and reading an article I recall Helen had posted on here.

The spare on the one I bought was on kept on top under the cover but I'd like to find a better home for it. I wondered about adapting an ALKO type underslung spare carrier that could be pulled out on telescopic tubes quickly discounted the idea because ground clearance is at a premium but the idea of supporting one, either using some bolted on disc or other means, in a hinged carrier adapted to fit over the 'A' frame locker seems ideal.

The nose weight of the Dandy never seems high and I have no practical means of correcting the nose high attitude it seems to adopt in towing mode (caused entirely by EU regulations and type approved stipulations determining tow ball height- a drop plate would solve this but alas not with a new-ish car) so sticking my spare on the A frame may be the way to go.

Least no stains on the PVC!

Any thoughts?

I couldn't help noticing your spare wheel carrier; very practical.
Not as practical as a gas box.

No matter how much weight you put on the front it;s not going to affect the nose up tail down attitude. I'll re consider that it could but I don't think you want to add that much weight!
Try reading this thread it covers mostly any option I can think of in respect of spare wheel mounting.
willicrew

Thank you

Post by willicrew on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:10 pm

Thank you for all your responses. I was feeling very daunted by the purchase of our Dandy as we originally said we didn't want to have to do any work to one. However, it was only £200 and we decided to give it a go especially as we can paint trailer to match our yellow Landy. To be fair the weather isn't helpful at the moment as I would like to crack on and put it up and decide what needs to be done. The trailer base has been checked and is sound so I think it just needs a bit of TLC and elbow grease to get it into a useable condition. Quite excited that it is a vintage one and green! So to some more questions - the base of the trailer is not wood so must be plastic. Its not really that wavy but is discoloured, milky and yellowing all over so a coat of paint would freshen it up. some of the edging is missing - does anyone know what we could use?
willicrew

Photos

Post by willicrew on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

I am having problems putting photos on - it lets me get to where it says upload then nothing happens?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:24 pm

willicrew wrote:I am having problems putting photos on - it lets me get to where it says upload then nothing happens?

Try as per [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You should be out of the period where you can't host.

If you still have problems get back to us we have other options.
willicrew

Post by willicrew on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Hi - managed to post some photos.  Photo 2 shows the edging that is missing - any ideas of what we can use? It also shows the discolouration of the plastic sides. Photo 3 shows hitchlock with rusting - can this be painted with hammerite? photo 4 shows that one of the leg supports has broken - any ideas? and photo 5 is our beloved kevin - our series 3 Landrover.

Thanks again for all your advice and help

Paula
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 5:17 pm

May just be the angle of the photo but the suspension looks really low  Shocked 
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm

As for painting whether you research something suitable for painting plastic or something that won't orange peel from the paint underneath your guess is as good as mine.

The sides you can use aluminium L section.

The sliding tubes for the legs either a suitable section tubing or flat metal folded into a box unfortunately either will need tacking in place which is a pain if you don't weld.

The hitch will come up nicely in smoothrite see Phoenix's Dandy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Don't fret Phonix's hitch is a B & B type Dandy used both.

The hole in the hitch can be opened up by another couple of mm to allow a decent sized padlock to pass through.

Yellow would be very suitable for a green Dandy.

Perhaps a bit pre 1980s Irish Flag (they tended to be more Gold than the current pantone 151 orange) for some tastes though or Offaly GAA colours

willicrew

Post by willicrew on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:54 pm

Thanks for information - glad you think yellow would look ok. I think the suspension looks low Helen because it is on our gravel which is very deep and when manoeuvring the trailer it has got bedded into the gravel.
Any other ideas other than painting plastic? some sort of sticky back plastic material??????
willicrew

Post by willicrew on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 6:57 pm

Also the wood underneath bed sections could do with a lick of paint - what is the best paint to use? can you use household paint or is it best to use another type? thx
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 7:59 pm

willicrew wrote:Thanks for information - glad you think yellow would look ok.  I think the suspension looks low Helen because it is on our gravel which is very deep and when manoeuvring the trailer it has got bedded into the gravel.
Any other ideas other than painting plastic? some sort of sticky back plastic material??????

As long as you can get the flat of your hand between the tyre and the inside of the wheel arch things should be OK. The suspension does sag with age but can also firm up in action so that there is less travel in the suspension. If you become concerned look for marks on the tyres or "witness marks" in the wheel arches.

You could try vehicle wrapping but I suspect it would cost more than the Dandy. If the sides are plastic (as in the 80's brochure link) then you have done well they do tend to end up wavy.

No photos erected yet. Did you get an awning with it?

Also the wood underneath bed sections could do with a lick of paint - what is the best paint to use? can you use household paint or is it best to use another type? thx

I've seen the ply bed bases varnished and plain. No definite idea what Dandy did, as I've seen them plain I'd imagine nothing though. Why do anything they never get exposed to the weather. There are various threads about under bed condensation. Can't imagine paint makes a big difference but it must reduce the ply's breathability?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

Vehicle wrapping ...... look for Carbon wrapping in your area.  My brothers friend offered to 'wrap' the front of our caravan for about the cost of your Dandy so it wouldn't really be cost effective unless you were keeping the Dandy for a very long time. I know you can buy a lower grade and it's applied using a hair dryer but I'm not sure where they get it from.

Have you tried scraping a bit of paint off to see what's underneath.

We knew our suspension had had it, there was space between the arch and tyre but the tyres were wearing dramatically on the inner side and not the outside.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 11:24 pm

To replace the leg steady find a local steel stockist take your leg steady and ask for a short piece of box section to fit over it, you only need a couple of inches from memory. It probably will only cost you a quid. If you can't weld or have a mate that can see if there is a local garage who would tack it on for you.

If the trim along the bottom edge is plastic D shape like ours, we got it from a firm that sell plastic windows and fascias etc. They use it as a trim when fitting new doors etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 3:42 pm