Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Dandy 6 instruction manual

cbramley

Dandy 6 instruction manual

Post by cbramley on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 2:45 pm

Does anybody know if I can get hold of a dandy 6 instruction manual from anywhere? Bought a Dandy 6 in November and we tried to put it up in the garden for the first time today with not much luck, we ended up packing it away before we killed each other! I think I was doing something wrong with the cords as when I opened the left hand side and then tried to open up the right side the left side kept falling down? Can anybody help? confused 
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Dandy 6 instruction manual

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

There are no separate instructions for the 6 that I know of.

Watch the standard Riva video where they are erecting a Designer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you notice when the video gets to about 1.55 the angle between the far point of the bed the U bar hinge and the top of the U bar is just 900 or very slightly less. This obviously works as it's how things were originally designed however it might be helpful to attach the strings not to the outermost button but to the one about 2" closer in. (video 1.31) This will give you an angle of slightly more than 900 and help use the weight of the roof to keep the U bar from falling back down on the bed.
If the angle is too great he bars will interfere a bit as you erect the sides.

You did see the former owners erect and collapse the 6 didn't you, there are no issues that you know of? Just looked at your older posts this came from Ian so all will be fine.
Am I misunderstanding what you said about things falling down? If I've read the previous thread correctly you have gas struts for the bed. You're not having problems with the first bed lifting up are you?  

These are just my musings. I've never owned a 6 but if there are any particular secrets Mike, Phoenix, tribalkev, Caz Numbers or someone else will provide illumination.

Still some light left, time for one more go and you can take some photos as we have lost all the ones that are from Riva's site.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm

I'm sure Mike mentioned adding an extra set of strings that they put on the buttons in the opposite direction to stop the bars falling on a 6. You could also try using silicone spray on the inside of the roof so that it slides over the bars easily

navver

Post by navver on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

The strings pull the roof bars up but only need to pull them up so far. If they are too short and the roof bar goes too far it can fall forwards. There is nothing stopping it falling forwards except the roof so keeping the roof under control is important. In the video they keep pulling the roof to the right as they work and this puts tension on the roof bar and holds it up.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

Its one of those things when you sort it you will wonder why you struggled

Pull the roof completely over the dandy
open the beds but ensure cords are around the buttons to pull the metal frames up as this lifts the roof
take a roof bar round to the kitchen side lift the wall slightly locate the roof bar to one of the clips and carefully push the side up,have some one open the door and fix it back(at this point i like that person to stay there and hold the wall),if you gently let the roof bar dangle go round to the door side enter the dandy and lift the other wall holding the roof bar until the wall is vertical and the slot the roof bar in.
put the other roof bars in.
next the metal frames at each end of the walls that are holding the roof up need pushing onto the clips at the top of the wall ends,depending how you have the erection strings they may need releasing first from the bed ends.
raise the bed back panel at the end the roof is fixed on the dandy first you may need to pull some roof to give it enough space then fit the bat wings at that end (the metal bars slotted into the bed end pvc) same for the other bed end.

You may have struggled with the roof at some point up to now because the fix that cures that can only really be done after its been erected.

While erecting the walls you may find the roof keeps dropping inside,when you have it erected fix a string on each side of the roof in the center make it a little longer than it needs to be to fix on a button on the side of the dandy and tie a loop in it.
Unfortunately i cant tell you the exact length but if get it right next time you erect fit these strings to the button first then when you raise walls the roof it will stay on the wall top and not drop in,too short strings and you cant raise the wall too long and it doesn't work.

I made my strings with a bit of bungee on the end and that made the length less critical

Done my best but due to circumstances its nearly two years since we erected ours ask about any thing you dont understand
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

Just to add the previous post presumes the dandy was folded away correctly when you got it,the kitchen wall folds down first and that puts the door wall at the top so its the first one up.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:47 pm

Helen wrote:I'm sure Mike mentioned adding an extra set of strings that they put on the buttons in the opposite direction to stop the bars falling on a 6. You could also try using silicone spray on the inside of the roof so that it slides over the bars easily

This is some thing we added its actually on the metal frames that slot onto the wall ends,when you come to fold away you will notice one of these wants to fall on the dandy,you will see what i mean just put another string on it going the other way,

cbramley

Post by cbramley on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm

Thanks, I have no worries about anything being wrong with the dandy as we bought it from Riva Dandy in November, the dandy was already built up and we only watched it be put down ready for us to take it away so it has been a while.
It has come with some instructions but they are for the Destiny and this has some support bars which are wedged underneath the beds which are totally different to the bed supports on the dandy 6.
When I have watched the video when the cords are attached and the first bar is opened out I have noticed that they push the bottom of the bar into a bracket thing on the side of the dandy, is it this what I have missed as I did not notice anything to push the bar into?
Once I have done it once I know it will stick as I do have an idea on how to put it up but there is something that I have missed, we will just have to keep watching the video and practising.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 7:37 pm

Hi, I think your talking about saddle brackets on the bed frames ..... older dandy's don't have them, we made some ourselves and fitted them because they stop the legs 'splaying' away from the dandy. The saddle brackets don't do anything other than that so not having them wouldn't make a difference when erecting your Dandy. You just need to practice and to find your own knack of doing things, took us a while but you will find little ways that make it easier and you'll soon be putting it up without even thinking about it.   
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 7:43 pm

We too think you are talking about the saddle brackets. We don't have them on our 6 and they are not necessary as the bed legs on a 6 are one complete frame so cannot splay out. Hope this helps put your mind at rest, there is nothing missing.  Smile 

navver

Post by navver on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm

Mike, that's the first description I've ever seen of a 6 being erected. Might be worth stickying it.

Do you lift the door and window walls with the same roof bar?
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:30 pm

navver wrote:Mike, that's the first description I've ever seen of a 6 being erected. Might be worth stickying it.

Do you lift the door and window walls with the same roof bar?

Good idea Navver.

Next time we put ours up we will try to remember to take pics at certain stages.

We read it that Mike uses just one roof bar to raise the door wall and then lifts the kitchen wall by hand from inside, then slots the roof bar in to hold the walls upright.

We do it similarly. We raise the door wall by hand and then use a roof bar to raise the Kitchen wall pushing it up from inside and then slotting it in to hold the walls vertical till the roof hoops can be hooked onto the walls. We put Phoenix our 4 berth up the same way.

A couple of pics we do have that may help newcomers are these.

If you look closely the red line shows where the strings are to raise the roof hoops.
It also shows there are no saddle brackets on our 6.

This one shows the string and elastic Mike said about that stops the roof from dropping in when erecting a 6.

cbramley

Post by cbramley on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

Managed to put our dandy 6 up yesterday!!
This time when we opened out the left hand bed we put the heavy bag of awning poles on it to weigh it down, I think alot our problems last time was to do with the roof tension, we still did struggle a little bit but for our first attempt I think we did ok. When we put it down we timed ourselves and it took us an hour and this included pushing it back into its position in the garden. We are going to practice a few more times in the garden and then we will go on our first holiday!

navver

Post by navver on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:43 pm

Well done, it will get easier. Just thought, it's important to open the bed with the fixed roof first. That should be the left bed when standing on the door side. On the rear entry dandys we don't have a choice, but on a 6, I guess you do. So to open, left then right and when folding right then left.

That will help keep the roof taut. Also, polish the underside of the roof with Mr Sheen or silicon spray and it will help it slide over the bars.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 5:25 pm

navver wrote:Well done, it will get easier. Just thought, it's important to open the bed with the fixed roof first. That should be the left bed when standing on the door side. On the rear entry dandys we don't have a choice, but on a 6, I guess you do. So to open, left then right and when folding right then left.

That will help keep the roof taut. Also, polish the underside of the roof with Mr Sheen or silicon spray and it will help it slide over the bars.

One of the most helpful things you can do,erection and fold down will be about 10 min when get in the swing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 1:23 pm