Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hi from another Dandy less newbie

Newtonheath1878

Hi from another Dandy less newbie

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 3:53 pm

We sold our caravan last year due to high storage costs etc and miss the life, looked at options available and come to the conclusion a Dandy would be perfect for us,wife dog and me. Worried about buying 2nd hand as I once bought a caravan on ebay 200 miles away taking the word of the seller brought it home to find it was full of damp etc etc. looking to buy a 1993 ish model in good condition as if I had to carry out any DIY it would end up 10 times worse than when I started not jesting. Not in a hurry just don't want to be caught again. Looked on ebay like one or two but both too far to check over and once bitten.

Newtonheath1878

Re: Hi from another Dandy less newbie

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

Should have said we live in Swansea
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm

We got bitten a couple of years back with a caravan ...... cost us a small fortune in repairs and doubled the price we'd paid. Shocked Shocked luckily for us we never parted with our trusty Dandy so when we decided to get rid of the van due to storage costs amongst other things we had no worries about finding another Dandy in the same condition as ours.

On a plus note ...... repairs to a Dandy will not cost anything like caravan costs  Evil or Very Mad most repairs are fairly simple to do, I know you say you won't do them yourself but even a handy neighbour may be able to help out for a few beers   

navver

Post by navver on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 9:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. We did the same last year, due to impending retirement we had to cut costs but still needed to be at least able to go to cornwall regularly to see our lovely little grandson. We down graded from a brand new fixed bed with all mod cons and bought a 2005 Designer from Riva Leisure. He sells a lot on behalf of a customer and only takes a commission as he did with ours. The prices are usually negotiable.

The dark blues, which my wife insisted on started in 2003. Prior to that they were light blue and white but for a while had red upholstery then the latest dark blue upholstery.

We went for the Designer as we have limited space on our drive for storage and wanted something we can potentially tow with our Fiat Panda. The Designer is perfect for this. It is very good to live in and easy to tow and put up etc. I reckon it is more comfortanble to sit in than the caravan and the fixed beds are fine. We use a bed each to save climbing over in the night. We use a sleeping bed which just gets thrown behind the settee in the morning. It is plenty warm enough with a small electric heater and in summer it is much cooler than the caravan ever was.

We only have a sun canopy and an underbed skirt for outside as we do not want an awning. However an awning would make a lot more room and give somewhere for the porta potti. I must admit though, the sun canopy is beautiful to sit under.

Our only real gripe is a lack of storage compared to the acres we had in the caravan and lack of an inside toilet and shower. Cooking is a bit more basic but she never cooked much in the van anyway. We use a porta potti which we bring inside at night and use site facilities by day. It does work OK with just two of us.

I look longingly at the bigger ones sometimes but feel that the penalty of the extra weight and size and the greater difficulty of erecting doesn't really outweigh the benefits of the smaller Designer.

If you are wary of ebay, it is worth contacting Ian at Riva Leisure to see what he has in and take a trip up. He is a very nice helpful man who will look after you well. I know it's a long way, I travelled up from Bristol but it was well worth it.

Good luck.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 10:00 pm

Newtonheath1878 wrote:We sold our caravan last year due to high storage costs etc and miss the life, looked at options available and come to the conclusion a Dandy would be perfect for us,wife dog and me. Worried about buying 2nd hand as I once bought a caravan on ebay 200 miles away taking the word of the seller brought it home to find it was full of damp etc etc. looking to buy a 1993 ish model in good condition as if I had to carry out any DIY it would end up 10 times worse than when I started not jesting. Not in a hurry just don't want to be caught again. Looked on ebay like one or two but both too far to check over and once bitten.

Ah from the name thought you might be from Manchester I'd have sorted you out looking at a couple of Dandys.

You have a very definite year plan. I'm puzzled. Even more puzzled when you don't mention a type?

How were you hoping to store the Dandy? Own garage, rent council garage (about £5/6 per week normally) I presume your drive would cause the same problems as keeping a caravan on a drive. The massive sign that you were away.

All Dandys should fit in a Garage with lengths varying from 10' to 15'

Have a look at the various types [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Then tell us a bit more about what you think you might fancy.

Dandys are fantastically resilient with several members owning 40+ year old examples numerous with 30 year old and 20 year old Dandys in the majority.

Apart from a soggy floor (easier to spot and rarer than on caravans) the most expensive repair is new suspension where you are looking at around £600 or less for a garage to fit new suspension. Most repair is by way of pop rivets. Have a look at the problems people have had compared to the number of posts then compare it to a caravan forum.

Do have a go at putting one up. The PVC isn't the lightest thing in the world Gas Struts help. The 6/Destiny and Highside Destiny have gas struts on the walls to aid erection.

Riva have a good selection for sale at the moment look through them to help understand the varying types. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 10:55 pm

Thanks for replies hoping to store in garage eventually if I can move junk around or park in front about 17ft 6 by 8ft 6 outside parking area. Age is not Important to me just 93 is roughly what I thought I could get for my budget, more important is condition, Size wise looking for 4 berth / dart .Used to go to Manchester on a regular basis Old Trafford area.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm

Designer/discovery would be better choice for us slightly bigger don't think I could ever buy anything light blue and white tho.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 6:07 am

to the forum,ime sure you will find what you are looking for soon
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 8:56 am

Newtonheath1878 wrote:Designer/discovery would be better choice for us slightly bigger don't think I could ever buy anything light blue and white tho.

I was going to give a serious answer to the Light Blue and White part till it dawned on me.

If you have been used to towing caravans then you might choose to look at the larger 6/Destiny/Highside Destiny option. It's a bit harder to manually maneuver the 6/Destiny/Early Highside should all gross out at 750Kg(ish)but the walls should be gas strutted and you are given plentiful accommodation without messing arround with the awning.
While it does all depend on you though I think the 5/Designer/Discovery is a lot more room than a Dart for next to no effort difference.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:12 am

Thank you Tow Itch sorry about the joke.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:38 am

Another important question is I'm about 19 stone at the moment and my wife isn't small is there a weight limit for the beds, I've been googling but can only find info on towing weights payloads etc.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:01 am

No bother. Don't really do football. I do have an old 70's Dandy in Green with some Gold Bungies I use on it. That might be right up your street.

Beds: I'm not exactly slimline I'd not be bothered about yourself but together??? Also the width at 46" might limit both of you though there is a full extra 2" up to a full 4' on the 6s. The bed is supported not only by the metal brackets but also by the roof acting as a sort of inverse suspension bridge (there will be a name for this) through the front and back walls and being tied to the other bed.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:57 am

Hi tow itch could you please let me gave the details on your 70s model any faults etc and price don't know if you want to do it here or I can post my email address if you prefer.

Thanks
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:00 am

My thought is you may be better looking at using separate beds,ime only 121/2 stone and my wife is tall and slim,we found we didn't have the space we needed on one bed,you can always get together before bed  affraid 

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:24 am

Thanks Mike I've come to same conclusion better safe than sorry.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:42 am

Newtonheath1878 wrote:Hi tow itch could you please let me gave the details on your 70s model any faults etc and price don't know if you want to do it here or I can post my email address if you prefer.

Thanks

While I do own a 70s 4 in Green I couldn't in all conscience sell it to you 1) it needs at least the ply sides re doing 2) I'd like to do it up then decide if I keep it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I do also own an early 90's Designer that I picked up last year that I need to do one or two things on and sell but I thinks it's best when that goes is to use the eVilbay.
Not really good form to big my own kit up on here to sell it.

More interested that you get to see a few so you know what you want and recognise a good one when it appears.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 11:54 am

I'm thinking of a trip up to Ian and buying one off him with a 12 month warranty peace of mind and a choice
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:52 pm

Newtonheath1878 wrote:I'm thinking of a trip up to Ian and buying one off him with a 12 month warranty peace of mind and a choice

Cant fault that idea apart from saying you will obviously pay more for the peace of mind

sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 5:47 pm

Newtonheath, welcome to the forum,especially being a red! If your not in any hurry to get one,its well worth waiting for the right one to come along. We viewed one or two before we got extremely lucky and bought one of a lady who advertised on this forum. We had to travel a 500mile round trip but it was well worth it to get the right one. Look on all the dandy sites,theres at least 3 i know of,and leave messages explaining what you're after. Ebay of course,but i would always view before buying. As a Mancunian and Man U support i can understand your reluctance to sleep in something Light blue and white, but i can honestly say our lovely light blue discovery is the best thing we have ever bought,and i sleep just fine. good luck with your hunting.regards Graham.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

We thought you weren't in a hurry?

You wouldn't buy a bad one buying from Ian but you could depending on what you fancy be looking at a saving of over 34% on Ians prices by buying privately i.e. Ian is over 50% more expensive than a private sale. That said some of Ian's Dark Blue Dandys are within a few pounds of some private ones.

There is a lot to be said for peace of mind but it's impossible for a Dandy to be the same sort of money pit as a Caravan

Unless you are retired time spent searching also has a cost.

Do you come up north much anyway? If you come up occasionally Ian's is well worth a look at Give me some notice and I'll let you play with mine, they are in a unit so rain won't get in the way. I'd like you to see a choice but I'd also like you to have a play putting up and down. It's always nice to have new members but it's fair to accept that Dandys aren't for everyone and it's better if we send some people looking at other things.
e.g My mate has a pop top caravan in his unit. That would fit into a garage.

I'm unavailable next weekend (not this weekend) but give me a PM if interested and I'll forward contact details.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 7:24 pm

Hi Tow Itch I've been looking for info on how to send a pm but can't seem to find any, how is it done please.
Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 8:06 pm

Hi and   Newtonheath1878

Welcome to the world of Dandying.  bounce 

To send a PM click on members list at the top of the page, click on the members name you wish to pm and then click on send pm. Fill it in as if you were putting on a post.

Simples.  lol! 

Don't forget to fill in the subject box.   

Hope your Dandy finds you soon.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 8:17 pm

Thank you Pollyanna

sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:17 pm

Newtonheath,just looked on another dandy site and theres a designer for sale in ilkeston,derbyshire. 1991, they say its in good condition,with some accessories.£1100. tel 07931 929965. might be worth a call.

Newtonheath1878

Post by Newtonheath1878 on Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:30 pm

Yes I spotted that one thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Apr 2018, 10:50 pm