Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Tesco fuel save

mike
Dandy Owner

Tesco fuel save

Post by mike on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

Never bothered with this before as we found Tesco too expensive for our main shop,we take motherinlaw there once a week and gets bits our self's.now though your purchases are accumulated through the month for money off fuel,just spent this months and got 9p a litre off.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Re: Tesco fuel save

Post by peridot on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 12:29 am

If you have purchases to be made elsewhere Tesco have a good range of giftcards that you may be able to use to get your spend up and increase your fuelsaver amount.

They have had a few store and restaurant ones with 8% off coming up to Mother's Day - don't know if it will continue into next week.

Also, for every £50 you spend on gift cards you get 150 Clubcard points (careful the 8% discount doesn't bring you below the £50 treshold).

You can use the '3V' Visa gift cards for general online shopping, although they are only available in £25 denominations and there are very few places you can make payments on multiple cards if you are spending more than that. One exception is Amazon where you can buy 'gift card' credit by email and accumulate it in your account to make a larger purchase. This is also useful if you have a small balance remaining on a 3V card to use up.

We've had the full 20p / litre discount every time without actually buying much in Tesco  Smile
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

Using Tesco or any other Supermarket fuel is OK but don't use it all the time and if you can mix it with one of the major fuel suppliers. A mechanic friend of ours had a car in his garage, can't remember what make off the top of my head that was running rough. It turned out the owner was only using Tesco fuel, after he was advised to he put some Shell fuel in it, it ran better and his fuel consumption also got better.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm

That's certainly a hotly debated topic Phoenix. I've tried extensively to get to the bottom of whether there is any real difference and drawn a blank. There's no hard evidence I can find that proves it one way or another and opinion seems to be evenly divided.

It's accepted that the base fuel is the same and the difference is in the additive pack that's added. Whether or not the different additives make any real difference is one thing, but I do know from my own industry that quality control in the fuel and lubricants industry is pretty woeful so I would personally question how well controlled the mixing and delivery process in ensuring that the right formula gets delivered to the right garage.

That said, a taxi-driver friend of mine will only use branded fuels and is adamant that he gets an overall benefit in mpg. You would expect someone in that business to know the score. I've only ever used supermarket fuel (petrol) in mine and have had no problems with it, but whether I'm getting poorer performance or not I don't know.
urbtaf

Taxi

Post by urbtaf on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

When I ran Taxis we used supermarket fuel,about a tankful every day, then our mechanic told us about the fuel quality thing. we used only one brand of fuel in one taxi, after about the third tank full there was a great improvement. The car ending the day with near a quarter of a tank left. Plus the drivers said it was running better.
The theory is that supermarkets buy fuel on the spot market, so there could be many brands mixed in the same tank, all with different addatives this causes the fuel to be less efficient.
The sprinter mini bus got 100 miles extra out of a tank full
Its a balance depending on the discounts the supermarkets are offering.
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 8:45 pm

I have noticed varying mpg from different suppliers,I used to drive a petrol powered car and it was very noticeable.
I haven't really noticed much if any difference with diesel but then I tend to fill up at shell or esso as both as cheap as the supermarket.
I just feel I would prefer to buy premium brand fuel over supermarket if the price is similar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:51 pm