Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Modified 2005 Dandy Destiny

Little and Large

Modified 2005 Dandy Destiny

Post by Little and Large on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 9:58 pm

Hello,
I thought I would post a new topic about our modified 2005 Destiny high side

The Destiny has had some modifications done to the the Loo area and the sink unit, although I'm not sure why the sink and fridge unit has been modified?

the modifications to the loo part were more than likely done by an enthusiast who wanted an easier way of putting the loo walls up.

I now have to decide wether to put it back to standard or make a better job of the modifications already done as it is a bit on the amateurish side.

1 the colour of the wood is wrong.
2 the fixings are poor and rattle when we are walking in the Destiny.
3 I may make some changes to make it even easier to put the loo unit up.
4 the wood has not been cut very well so the panels do not match up well.
5 the panels are ply wood and should be lightweight MDF.

The PVC flaps are not factory fitted.
I think they were added for keeping out draughts and not for water ingress / leaks.

We have put some photos in the gallery

We will be unpacking the Destiny tomorrow, fingers crossed there is no damage.
I will take some detailed photos of the modified loo and the sink unit

Thanks Ian and Alison
peridot
Dandy Admin

Re: Modified 2005 Dandy Destiny

Post by peridot on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm

Putting things 'back to standard' is an interesting concept on Dandys given the variability in units of the same type although I imagine these areas of the later models are probably consistent.

The modifications do look a bit untidy but I think we'd need some close-up photos before venturing an opinion on which approach might be best. The 'standard' loo arrangement is not particularly difficult to assemble although the door/frame panel is a little unwieldy. I have considered fitting some lift-off hinges on the door itself but wouldn't do much more.

Given the overall weight issues with these beasts, getting some lighter weight materials back in would do no harm. Rather than MDF, the ply material that's used in modern caravan construction is incredibly light - not sure what it's called or where it might be obtained from though, others may know more.

If you need any pictures or measurements from a 'standard' assembly let me know.

Last edited by peridot on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

navver

Post by navver on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 8:22 pm

These people sell all sorts. On small boats they make very thin but strong ply which is faced on one or both sides. Bit pricy though.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Out of interest, just how does the standard loo erect?

The Gobur arrangement looks pretty simple but they have an outside wall forming one loo wall. The destiny has to have all 3 walls formed and cannot fix them to the roof.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:41 pm

That is pricey stuff indeed. The material I'm thinking of is probably [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. There's no price list on that site, but I imagine it's also expensive in small quantities. Whenever my folks change their caravan I'm normally called upon to install some additional mains socket outlets for their gadgetry. It's barely possible to feel the weight of a cut-out piece the size of a single 13A socket.

I'll do my best to describe the oragami of the loo. It may be difficult without pictures!

The right hand wall rests across the top when folded and is hinged up with a small PVC flap attached to the camper back wall used to hold it in place while the rest is assembled.

The left hand wall has two hinged segments, allowing it to fold down into the loo space. The left hand side of the front wall is hinged forward across the camper when folded. These two pieces are raised and clip together to support each other.

This forms the basic structure of the compartment without the door. The door is a single panel with a rectangular cut-out for the door itself. Think of a ship's bulkhead door with a sill at the bottom. This clips onto the edges of the right hand wall and the left hand side of the front wall to complete the assembly.

All pipework and wiring folds with the panels so that's all there is to it.

Little and Large

Post by Little and Large on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:32 pm

First pic of the modified loo area, seems like the fold down sink section looks standard.
the door area is different?

2nd pic shows the modified right-hand wall section laying flat on the cooker cupboard.
Modified wall and door section in the background.

3rd pic Top section of left hand wall above the sink, the hook was there to secure the wall for assembly, it did not work, I will have to think of a better solution.

4th pic I think these brown locators are genuine items on the rear of the sink wall

5th pic Right hand wall section going up

6th pic right hand wall going up

7th pic door section in place, sorry no pics of it going together - divorce material!!

8th pic door and wall section in place, as you can see not the most tidy of conversions and why was it done, is it to take the weight over the axle as it folds down onto the sink unit?

9th pic the fridge and cupboard unit has been replaced with different ply wood, again not pretty but better than the loo. wood is a different colour and grain going the wrong way. the top is original. door is crooked.

10th pic phew  bounce standard parts of the unit, there is some wiring added.

11th pic standard parts of the unit............

12th pic   all nice and clean again, also showing the added pvc flaps on the side

13th pic     Alison relaxing after putting the Destiny up, there is also no seat back with this Destiny the mattress lies flat. If possible I would like to put a frame work in and have it as a seat arrangement, this is how we have always had Dandy's

navver

Post by navver on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:53 pm

I wonder if the loo was modified so it could stay not assembled perhaps for stayng on a site with good facilities. Can you put the kitchen on top of it unassembled and use the dandy?

Some of these had 2 fixed beds, I have seen one at Ian's. The one by the diner was as high as the one the other end and quite a bit higher than the diner seats.

Ian may be able to do you a settee support framework. It is only a bit of fairly light aluminium tubing with webbing on and a couple of support legs with C clips on.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:30 pm

This certainly is a fascinating Dandy  Smile 

I have to say it looks to me like the loo cubicle and kitchen area has been completely rebuilt using some original components. I wonder if it might have suffered damage, although it's difficult to envisage how these areas might be damaged without the floor and/or main back wall also suffering, and they look fine.

I've found some photos of mine that I've added below.

The bed is also strange - The whole idea of the split mattress is to to fold into a sofa so where is the framework? Is there any evidence of it having been fitted and subsequently removed? There would be the hinge fixings on each side where the split in the matress is, and rivet marks along the bed base where the PVC supports attached.

Do you know what's in the box underneath the electrical consumer unit? If it's a transformer / battery charger, it might be worth checking whether it has any ventilation.

In the pic below the clear and grey pipes are sink water and waste respectively. The loose wire with the water pipe is to the tap microswitch. The neatly clipped wire running up the wall is for the 12v light. Why one is clipped neatly and the other left flapping around is just one of the many Dandy mysteries  Very Happy 

The pipes and wires running along the floor were originally boxed in with a number of substantial pieces of plywood, which were then faced with decorative hardboard - complete overkill and a small example of the complete disregard of weight management on these later Riva units. I replaced it with a piece of plastic mini-trunking. The metal-clad socket was just a temporary addition (it happened to be on the end of the piece of flexible cable I was running in back to the mains unit under the bunk). It has since been replaced with a flush socket mounted where the cable emerges, and used to power a small heater in the loo that provides background heat for the camper.

Little and Large

Post by Little and Large on Mon 05 May 2014, 11:16 pm

Thank you for the replies and thanks for the pictures.
I personally think that the standard set up looks better and I would think it would be easier to assemble.

So..... I think my winter months have been booked to sort this out.
In the meantime I will need to buy some joinery books and learn the art of woodworking.
Buy new tools for the job - oh yes I can live with that!

Peridot; at some point would it be possible to measure some panels as it's going back to standard, I have talked to Ian at Wigan and don't think he is interested in taking on this project.

I would like to see a standard set up but the chances of meeting up with you guys at some point maybe thin.
We are planning going to The Lakes or North west Scotland for holibags, this is probably the only time we will have the Destiny out for any length of time this year.

So photos and measurements will have to do I think.
Looking at the robbins website and I think the prices look fine to me, I'll talk to them regarding which board to use, maybe able to save some weight which will be a good thing.

Thank you for your input,

Ian
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 06 May 2014, 12:10 am

Certainly ... as soon as we get our first trip out I'll measure up the various panels.

Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 07 May 2014, 10:40 pm

don't forget to post more picture on your project as we     your photo's  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:55 pm