Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

up-rating Miss Molly

Caz1960
Caz1960

up-rating Miss Molly

Post by Caz1960 on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 10:59 am

Here is MISS MOLLY

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

as you know she now has been stripped down the opportunity to modernise her is great

now when I go to campsites they have a limited range to thier modems and you have to sit near on thier office doorstep to get a signal is there a way of boosting the signal from the laptop to pick up the signal I do understand with tethering with my phone to the laptop but that will cost me monies from my provider .

solar power I know we have got a post on this with the panels but can't find the connecting end bit

the reason I and trying these things and more when I find them and they work I will kit out my big girl to make my son's camping experience happier and in turn my life simple's

any suggestions gratefully received and further Ideas on mod cons appreciated
peridot
peridot
Dandy Admin

Re: up-rating Miss Molly

Post by peridot on Sat 26 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

There's info on ways of improving pick-up of weak wi-fi signals on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

It might be worth checking out Three for mobile internet. I use Three on my main phone and have unlimited data for £13/month. I find the coverage excellent, even in fairly remote areas. You're not supposed to tether, but my laptop and daughter's gadgets connect without a problem. However, when Mrs P. tries to tether her iPad it detects it straight away and blocks it.

I've now picked up a separate Three PAYG SIM. It's a penny per MB for data, which is pretty cheap, but the really great feature is that the credit doesn't run out each month so it is genuinely pay as you go - you never pay for more than you use. I previously used Giff-Gaff (O2 network), which is slightly cheaper per MB when you buy one of their packages, but it does run-out after a month and you lose anything you haven't used.

For the solar panels, do you mean the regulator that goes between the panel and the battery (or is built into some panels) or just a means of connecting the panel to the battery?

Retro
Retro

Post by Retro on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:47 am

You could try one of these...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mrs Retro and I have a couple and use them when we are in dodgy wifi reception areas.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:51 am

didn't know about those , will get a few and see how I get on especially overseas  I got a satellite but haven't yet made it work mind you it was in france when I tried and have been just told that they have a different satellite    .

as for the solar panels it's the connection bit  scratch  as the panel is out collecting the rays then what   study  does it go to special batteries ? or plug in to a panel that convert to electricity for use in the dandy  yep haven't got a clue and if you can explain it in a idiot guide for me  geek I would be very grateful   
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:23 am

Broadly the solar panel and battery plus other charging options versus mains depends on how you want to camp and how much power you need.

Once upon a time we used leisure batteries (if such things exist{Long Argument}) for lighting or if decadent the odd hour of TV. Nowadays the current demand for lighting is so low we can escape the need to use leisure batteries for light and can use portable LED devices. However our desire for electronic entertainment has grown exponentially.
Many of us if off camping might limit our computer use. I don't know how much you can do that or how often. As you have mentioned son needs a constant diet of electronic media. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Owing a Dandy you can't can't really wild camp so the easy solution is just choose a site with EHU. Son can bang away on the computer all night. The downsides are the extra expense of EHU and the fact that it is not available everywhere. Expense, well while in Spain or France you will need a fridge and the EHU can run that as well. I'd imagine the extra €3.00  to €5.00 per night is well worth it.          
Now how often do you camp without facilities or more pointedly without the possibility of EHU? How much do you need an operating computer on those nights?
While  we were at the Revival last Sept I tethered my computer to my phone it allowed me to see to my emails and watch motoGP on Sunday night after you had left. I did this in a low tech style with a low powered inverter plugged into my car. This was OK because my power demands were moderate but I did run my car engine for the second half of the race.
For your lads computer the wifi amplifier will be a better Europe wide solution as EU wide data tends to be expensive. In the UK the 3 deal might be better.I've had an absolute minimum of 11/2 Meg 3Meg being more like the normal minima with over 6 meg quite often with only one or two points of non coverage. Free wifi is often steam driven with no possibility to stream.  
What is the power demand for the laptop? It might well be more efficient to have a direct 12V feed rather than from 12V to 240V via an inverter then to 18V or whatever for the computer.  I'm guessing at 60 to 100 watt for the power consumption. Sort of the equivalent of leaving 1 to 1 1/2 headlights on. So that is a simple guide of how quickly it will drain the batteries.
In general:
The solar panel will give at best half the power stated. 100watt panel = 50watt = 4and a bit amps. Every hour that is 4 and a bit amp hours.
The battery will give out half the work (amp hours stated) IF FULLY CHARGED. It's only half because it's not good practice to fully drain a battery.
In good sun you can fully charge a 110 amp hour battery from half charge but you are only looking to get 3 or 3 1/2 hours computer time from that. This is not allowing for the power consumption of the wifi enhancer. I can see that it should end up looking more like 5 hours but 8 or 10 amps is a fair old load to take from the battery and I don't see 5  hours happening. Others may disagree and they may well be right and I don't know of practical examples.
The battery can be charged while towing the Dandy or through an extra charge point in the boot as well.  

All depends how often you will be without EHU and how important electronic entertainment is at those points.

Peridot did a tidy job of work wiring his Destiny now he does that sort of thing professionally so I'm not saying everyone attempt might look so sharp. Though it shouldn't be any less well done. A user of another forum got very close to torching his Dandy with 12V.  Look at this for examples of peridot's work   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/sub]
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 1:15 am

tow itch  I am thinking more on the eco way of providing electricity also as and when I am off grid ( ehu) that i can still have power yep it would be psp game console or tv off ehu as no wifi provided ( coz i won't pay the extra cost ) so when we are on campsite 99% wifi is free hence the amplifier
I will be getting a generator but they are noisy just trying to see if other options are able to incorporate as you know my son not happy unless he is plugged in  lucky for me Tony is also an electrician and he does all the electrical work    but he does try and talk me out of things if I'm not to sure I will back down but when I learn about something that can be done I am stubborn and he will do it for an easier life    
so that why when I have an idea  scratch  I ask and read the replies   study  then put into practice  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2019, 6:28 am