Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Brighouse Bay Holiday Park

Owd Lad

Brighouse Bay Holiday Park

Post by Owd Lad on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:00 am

One of the problems that I have is that my writing can go on some. I do try to be informative but there is a good argument that photos explain a great deal more than I can. As a result I shall try and keep the prose of this review to a minimum and make it picture heavy. (At least I'll try to do that. It might not work!) Brighouse Bay is about 2 miles away from Solway View site, which I reviewed recently, so the directions are much the same as given for that site. OK! First of all, this is Brighouse Bay:- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Zoom view of the above showing the Isle of Man in the distance. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Some pictures taken from around the bay [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The bay and surrounding area has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest due to it's variety of terrain and plantlife, especially noticeable in late Spring and early Summer. The bay itself has a mixture of rock, stones and extensive sandy areas which provide safe bathing from the gently shelving beach. Brighouse Bay Holiday Park is situated behind a wooded area on the right side of the bay and is set in 1200 acres of land, a mix of farmland, golf courses and the park itself. It forms part of a network of four sites, in SW Scotland, owned by Gillespie Leisure. (I'll try and get round to them in due course.) There is no hiding the fact that this is a big site made up of camping and touring sections as well as extensive sections of static caravans and cabins. The site is, however well landscaped and planted and it is difficult to judge just how big it is. There is an informal, easygoing attitude in the way the site is run and it has been aimed at family holidays. It isn't a cheap site but seems on a par with most larger sites these days. The pricing structure is a little complex but runs from about £18/night from October to end of March (inclusive for two people) but gets increasingly more expensive and itemised during other times of the year. (Expect to pay up to £30'ish at height of season for two people, EHU and awning) The costs can be moderated some by the use of Camping Cheques, costing about £14/night, except at the height of the season and Bank Holidays. It's not a feature that the site advertises widely but is there to be used. (Please google Camping Cheques & Gillespie Leisure for more details.) If you like walking, riding, fishing, swimming, bowling and a drink or two, then the site will cater for all these activities. Time to move on to photos and a few comments:- Reception & Shop [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Camping field (No EHUs) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Boating pond & putting course [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] One of several exits from site to woodland walks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Unisex amenities block [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Some of the various touring areas with EHUs & TVHUs [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Angling lakes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Woodland walks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Slipway [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Club House [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Views over golf course & driving range [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Views from higher parts of site [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hope this gives some ideas of what's there. Steve
Nick
Dandy Owner

Re: Brighouse Bay Holiday Park

Post by Nick on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 1:20 am

Steve,what a fantastic review and the pictures say a million words,i think you are just trying to make those of us south of the border jealous.The site looks wonderful and has loads of fabulous features the only thing i couldn't find reference to or even try to figure out is the airplane that appears to have parked itself in the car park? Smile
Nick
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:39 am

Beautiful pictures again Steve Smile and an excellent review, the scenery and setting is lovely and I would love waking up and looking out of my Dandy window at that in the mornings. Scotland is a must for next season and with all of your reviews and directions we will be spoilt for choice I would have liked to move on every few days but think if I stayed here I wouldn't want to leave so soon Very Happy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 7:48 am

Added to the site review map Very Happy

The map is looking good thanks to the reviews given.
Owd Lad

Re' Brighouse Bay

Post by Owd Lad on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

Nick, The airplane is a Gloster Meteor and was used as a training aicraft somewhere around Carlisle until it was retired, sold at auction and transported to Brighouse. I can't imagine what the logistics of moving it would be! Its stood at Brighouse for about twenty five years now. There is some interest being shown in tidying up the body work and re-painting it in its original true colours. It does make an interesting point of conversation and the sparrows love it as a safe nesting place. There are dozens of them living in there. I do know that a couple of people have chased its history on line but as I don't know its number I haven't done the same.
Steve
Owd Lad

Re' Brighouse Bay

Post by Owd Lad on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

You might have noticed that the format of the thread isn't quite what it should be. There seem to be a couple of pictures missing and most of the writing seems to have taken on a mind of its own. I don't know why as the original draft and the preview were OK. Perhaps it's because of the number of photos or some other reason. Anyway, it wasn't me what did it!
Steve
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

well regardless steve its a great review and again looks stunning pirat
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

I was wondering about the unisex amenities, the picture of a secluded lane and notice referring to dogs.
Thought for a second they might have missed i,n,and g out of the notice board.

Kevin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:51 pm