Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

water connector

evanr

water connector

Post by evanr on Mon 26 May 2014, 11:37 am

Hi everyone,
I have a dandy 4 and have found that the water inlet looks to be similar to the one on the left in the following picture.  From here a pipe goes to a foot pump and from there to the tap.  My question is what type of connector connects to this inlet.  Thanks for any help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: water connector

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 27 May 2014, 3:26 am

Not dealt with that particular fitment but I'd guess it's a piece of tube with an internal diameter the same as (or fractionally smaller) than the male end on the unit. So it's a stout push fit.
As the Whale foot pump sucks up the water rather than it being pumped up from the aquaroll there is no water pressure acting on the joint to push the tube off.
No I don't know what size the tube is. The loan of a set of digital or vernier calipers may be required or a run up to a caravan requisites dealer with the Dandy in tow.

evanr

Post by evanr on Tue 27 May 2014, 10:43 am

Yep. I seem to be coming to the same conclusion. Thanks for the input.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 27 May 2014, 10:52 am

Almost forgot. Hello and welcome to the forum.
Do you have any pictures of your Dandy?
We love photos here.

navver

Post by navver on Tue 27 May 2014, 10:04 pm

To be honest that looks more like a waste pipe connector than a fresh water inlet. The grey colour suggests that as well, fresh water usually being blue. You usually use a corrogated pipe for it.

There's a waste pipe fitting with a flap here which looks similar and some of the corrogated pipe.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 28 May 2014, 1:14 pm

Given the two pipes I was guessing on both an inlet and outlet. Not expecting evanr to have studio facilities a Google images search located the image.
With a bit of luck the link will show my previous searches for end plugs and a rather natty looking pipe and dust cover for an Aquaroll. If you fancy that enaver I'd check with Towsure that it is a direct fit.

evanr

Post by evanr on Thu 29 May 2014, 4:31 pm

ok I have taken pictures of my connector.  Any further comments/Advise ?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 29 May 2014, 7:01 pm

No doubt a bit of a clean and brush up of the connector is in order and perhaps a bit more important a Milton or water line cleaner soak before first use. Hard to judge size off a picture but if you have an odd bit of half inch water pipe you might try to mate it up if measuring is awkward. I'd probably invest in one of them end caps as well or perhaps two so you have a spare to hand. They're probably a good idea on any of those type of connectors but a must on a forward facing connector.  
I assume it's the cable for the trailer lights that is cable tied to the fitting but is it just a twist of cable to lock the fitting to the water hose? The thickness of the binding wire and the projection at about "8 O'clock" look like an electrical wire joining with a spade connector.
If so what the hell is it to and for?

KB

Post by KB on Fri 30 May 2014, 2:44 am

Hi Evan and welcome!

Sorry for butting in on this one, but in the second of your photos there is sight of black corrugated plastic piping immediately before the point where the connector is fixed to the Dandy chassis member.

That type of piping is more often than not used for waste pipes.

So, all considered, I'm with Navver on this one, and, would suggest that any tubing that you can wedge in the gap provided around the outlet nozzle should suffice and operate as a link between the outlet and your waste container.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 30 May 2014, 10:07 am

KB wrote:Hi Evan and welcome!

Sorry for butting in on this one, but in the second of your photos there is sight of black corrugated plastic piping immediately before the point where the connector is fixed to the Dandy chassis member.

That type of piping is more often than not used for waste pipes.

So, all considered, I'm with Navver on this one, and, would suggest that any tubing that you can wedge in the gap provided around the outlet nozzle should suffice and operate as a link between the outlet and your waste container.

No KB it's not butting in anyone should feel free to comment about anything on here. Personally I'm very keen that if people feel I'm wrong they tell me. I firmly believe that if I argue about something and I'm proved wrong I've still benefitted because I know more than I did.

It's odd how we can see different things in photos. D'oh you're right KB what I saw as binding wire is far more likely corrugated pipe with foam insulation ending just before. (did they use the Dandy over winter?)  What the wire at the "8 O'clock" position is I'm still wondering.
As I did say you can't judge size on a photo and referring back to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] inlet is an 1/2" pipe outlet is a 3/4" pipe. Although there is also at least 1 larger diameter of waste pipe.
The acid test is to trace the pipes back now while you might need to have a good look and study if two pipes disappear into the floor their relative positions should still be easy enough to judge. evanr has the advantage of an underfloor water pump so it should be really easy to differentiate inlet from outlet as the inlet should lead directly to the pump inlet and be visible all the way.
I'd not want to use "waste" pipe as water feed pipe and certainly wouldn't want to try to keep "inlet" pipe clear if I were trying to get it to function as a waste and I doubt anyone has tried to do this but if in confusion it is what the pipe is plumbed to or from that is important not for what classification we would give to the pipe being used.

KB

Post by KB on Fri 30 May 2014, 1:48 pm

Having looked at the pics again I'm not sure there is any wire attaching to the pipe. I think the attachments are all cable ties and it is possible that the loose tie was used to retain a cap for the end of the outlet at some time but that cap has, seemingly, gone adrift.

It may be possible to source a replacement by using a plastic bottle top of the appropriate size to keep the creepy crawlies out or, as Tow Itch points out, order a replacement from a supplier such as Towsure.

navver

Post by navver on Fri 30 May 2014, 10:03 pm

That's corrugated pipe inside what looks like pipe lagging. It must be the waste surely. If you can get some 20mm waste hose it will probably fit. There is a 28mm used on later caravans which flows a lot better and oddly it also fits a 20mm outlet by jamming it in.

I personally would prefer a nice new clean water inlet with a proper dust cover.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 6:54 am