Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

**NOW SOLD**Just posted my Dandy up forsale

Rosen

**NOW SOLD**Just posted my Dandy up forsale

Post by Rosen on Mon 26 May 2014, 1:06 pm

Hi,

NOW SOLD***
Thanks all

I'm just trying to get some feedback and see how much interest there is in dandy trailer tents.
Having owned ours for about 5 years, it is time to let her go, if you have any suggestions on description or places to advertise my Dandy, then I would be happy to know about them.

Thanks

my listing on preloved.
cant post link as I have just signed up here ..  preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110925272/dandy-discovery-trailer-tent.html

From preloved-

1994 Dandy Discovery Trailer Tent

Sleeps 5 (2 x double beds 1 x single bed)
Full winter spec/roof insulated/lined
Full Electric hookup and switchbox with sockets in camper
Electric hookup cable and mains plug adaptor
Factory fitted floor gas heater
Twin cooker and grill
12v Pump for sink/tap, water and waste water containers
Double glazed door window and kitchen window
Proper trailer re-enforced tyres and spare
Gas storage box on trailer
Gas bottle included (3.9kg)
Locking door with keys
Bulldog trailer lock

Full original & rare Acrylic awning that zips to the Dandy, it can be a sun canopy or full awning with doors and windows.

Luggage rack, trailer cover and Awning pole bag

Have many spare parts, accessories, curtains and other camping equipment that I will include with the sale, such as..

Folding kitchen stand and cupboard
Chemical toilet
Hanging shelf
Camping Table (use in Awning)
Digital TV aerial and Booster
Mains to 12v converter

More photos on request.
Open to sensible offers, it is ready to go for this summer.

Last edited by Rosen on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: **NOW SOLD**Just posted my Dandy up forsale

Post by mike on Mon 26 May 2014, 4:29 pm

Link

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 27 May 2014, 12:58 am

good luck she looks great have you tried camp/caravan mags
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 27 May 2014, 2:56 am

Try reading [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] They cover what buyers need to check and most off putting phrases in adverts.

Electric hookup cable and mains plug adaptor
Factory fitted floor gas heater
Twin cooker and grill
12v Pump for sink/tap, water and waste water containers
Double glazed door window and kitchen window
Gas storage box on trailer
Gas bottle included (3.9kg)
Locking door with keys
Bulldog trailer lock

Full original & rare Acrylic awning that zips to the Dandy, it can be a sun canopy or full awning with doors and windows.

Have many spare parts, accessories, curtains and other camping equipment that I will include with the sale, such as..

Chemical toilet
Hanging shelf
Mains to 12v converter

More photos on request.
Open to sensible offers, it is ready to go for this summer

Points I'd raise from your current advert: (Before I start I'm pedantic and overly wordy use what advice you want and discard the rest.)

Is it? If you have the sales documentation or have read the last two digits of the frame number then I'll not argue but Acrylic windows are generally said to be 1995 onwards.
It's not a trailer tent it's a folding camper. Trailer tents need pegging down for any form of erection. Folding campers have a main body that can be erected without pegging. They are quicker and easier to get a base set up. When advertising do list as "Dandy Folding Camper/Trailer Tent" So it's included in a general search for folding campers or trailer tents.

I'm no copy writer but I'd try and split the ad into two or three parts 1) or 1&2) It's Dandy/It's a Dandy Designer. Where you explain to the unknowing who are looking for a camper what Dandys are and possibly their unique selling points You can put them away wet. They never ever lerak nor need reproofing. Full 4 season camping warmth and storm resistance
2) What the Designer model is. Two double beds table and seats for two that make a single bed etc.
3) Why I should buy YOUR Designer; condition, servicing record, unique features.

Yours is as seen on pictures. This term is often abused, just a gas heater or just wall insulation isn't fully winterised.

Dandys weren't normally factory fitted with electrics. Hence electrics are home fitted. We have seen some nightmares, hence I tend not to view fitted electrics as an advantage on a lead with a mcb/rcd unit at the end. Are you a sparky oir do you have any evidence the set up was competently fitted?  

The original fitment of 145/80 R 10 tyres are perfectly adequate. The cheaper 145/80 B 10 has a greater load capacity but has some downsides. If you have 145/80 R 10 in 6 or 8 ply or listed as light truck say so. If you know about the tyres were they a recent fitment? If so that would be more of a selling point.

This is your unique bit. Dandy awnings are great if the weather cuts up rough but are a bit of a trial to erect. The very last Dandys had the option of zip on acrylic awnings I'm not aware of the option in the mid 90s. What do you know about the awning? Was it supplied by Dandy or made by some well known other like TVS? It is Acrylic not just rip stop nylon? One of the early Acrylic awning producers was Ten Carte a label from them would also be a big plus.
You need pictures of the awning and of the pole arrangement.
You are selling ease of awning erection.
Acrylic is not as robust as the Dandy PVC awning you need to provide evidence or at least reassure about the awning condition.

Luggage rack? Pictures this could be quite important! several £££s

Chemical toilet
Hanging shelf
Mains to 12v converter
Full list things of value anything else is your present to the buyers. What is the 12v system?

More photos on request.
Open to sensible offers, it is ready to go for this summer

Preloved and Gumtree are great but top dollar should come from eBay with a decent ad and lots of photos. If two or more want a Dandy with a lightweight awning it could go for silly money. Thing is we all know the downsides and irritations of eBay.
I see you did list a price on preloved. £1,650 seems reasonable, I was thinking £1,500 to £1,700. Stating £1,650 ovno then following it with "open to reasonable offers" may cause people to try to drive a hard bargain.

Mike how did you manage to get a link that revealed an ad posted yesterday?

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Tue 27 May 2014, 8:54 am

Thanks for getting back to me.. many points in your replys..  big thanks..

First off it is defiantly a Dandy Discovery.. it does not have a table inside, it has a bench seat, although I'm lead to believe it has the same dimensions as the Designer.

You are correct about the date, I did think that the previous owners said it was 1997/8 but after looking at the numbers on the A frame, I could only find date/number 94, which I thought was too early, but I just played it safe with 94. I will get a photo of all the numbers on there, but if anyone can tell me which it is that would be great.

As for the awning, it definitely is the acrylic awning as supplied by dandy at the time, I will get some photos of the awning later today, but I have a image that I found on the net that shows the same awning on a later darker blue dandy. The poles for the awning attach to the dandy with hooks that go through small white bracket holes that are just below the roof on the front of the dandy.  The awning does zip from both sides of the outer walls of the dandy right up to the centre above the door, and has a wrap around with pockets that sit below the windows of the dandy, and there is also a small blue section that is separate that fits under the door. You can then attach the side windows and the two front windows to the awning if required. Will get photos and some ID later when I get the awning out.  The previous owner did tell me to never let the awning go for sale separate as they are like gold dust.

I do also have the storage cover that attaches to the left side of the dandy, using press studs.

will get back later. thanks

Quick update, the awning is made by the french company Marechal, and is PVC/Acrylic, I am no expert, but I guess these were specially made for the Dandys at the time. I have uploaded some photos of the logo and front window of the awning.

Thanks for helping me with the dating and the other information, I will be updating my advert.. many thanks.

Last edited by Rosen on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : awning info)
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 27 May 2014, 11:05 am

D'oh it is a Discovery, I'll learn to read and look at pictures at some point. I actually think they are more functional than Designers.

Date is on the offside of the A frame but may be hid by the gas box or you might not find it anyway. So so detail anyway, condition is the key.

From your description it certainly sounds like the awning is on a Dandy frame. I'd say generally we frown on people selling of awnings separately, of course it's their own business but an awning does make the outfit complete and give more options for longer camps. Even standard awnings generally fetch £200.00 plus
There are all sorts of Dandy oddities from brochure options like Darts and Deltas with inboard wheels, transitional Highside Destinys models through to extra width beds. A 90s Acrylic awning is as rare as any of these and makes it easier to use the awning on a short camp. The effort required with a standard awning can put users off for short camps.
I'd not mess about with library photos. Photos with it up as a canopy then with the sides being zipped in are the order of the day.

I do also have the storage cover that attaches to the left side of the dandy, using press studs.
Does the storage cover look like the bottom of this Dandy? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] If so it's a skirt quite desirable and expensive.

I'm still curious what this luggage rack is? There are issues with what I've seen as luggage racks but still desired.

If you end up on eBay you may have a very desirable Dandy. Dandy spec varies quite a bit. though not everyone needs a winterised one they are always more desirable. Awnings crop up 2nd hand from £200.00 I think Ian has some 2nd hand ones for sale at something over £400.00. I think the recently made Acrylic awning for a Destiny made by TVS was in excess of £1,000. Yes a Discovery is smaller but it's only fabric the work is the same. You might try to find out if the Acrylic awning is the same size as on the later ones. Try phoning Ian at Riva [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The later awning is over 31sq ft larger than the PVC one.

So we have tried to upsell your Dandy. Sorry we never got to hear from you before you came to sell. Would you like to offer us something back? You may not want to use eBay anyway but if you're thinking about it can I ask you to hold it for a week or two. If someone from here offers you what you first asked for you are no worse off. You are actually better off than if negotiating with someone on Preloved when you didn't know exactly what you had.

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Tue 27 May 2014, 11:59 am

Hi again,

Yes it is a skirt, also with the small part that goes around the wheel inside the storage area.

Just contacted Riva sales, Defiantly a 94 Discovery, although the roof must have had the zips added to accommodate the 4 season Marechal awning, which at that time were available for the Designers, the awning is the full width of the Dandy, but is slightly longer in depth, so quite big.

Also I am told it does have the winter pack, roof is padded(as standard), but the walls inside are white and not blue/white, which means it has been insulated.

The 12v system, I did have a leisure battery, and a solar panel for running lights and the pump for the tap, inverter, charging devices etc great for camping on non-electric sites, but recently the battery is in need of replacing.

The Luggage rack is on the top of the folded bed on the trailer, with the white retaining bar that sits on the outer edge of the trailer, which is then covered.

As for selling the Dandy, I myself would be happy to keep it, as I sometimes do use without the awning for weekends away on hiking trips, and its nicer than a tent !! Wink but as a family camping tool, we have probably outgrown it, as my son is now grown up, and my other half does now prefer hotels, b&b etc I am not in anyway in a rush to move it on, its owes me nothing, would actually be sorry to see it go, had it for about 5 years, probably used the awning 4 times on longer trips. I also have a classic car, and have enjoyed keeping my Dandy in great condition, replacing various pot rivets, and the usual TLC that they deserve.

I do not really want to use ebay, and I would prefer to deal with someone that does actually know about Dandys, and can understand the benefits of them. If a serious offer is made during or after a viewing, I would be happy to part with it.

navver

Post by navver on Tue 27 May 2014, 10:26 pm

By the sound of it the awning is as the later acrylic ones were and I think they too were made by Marechal in France not TVS. The poles hook onto little white eyes outside the dandy. The acrylic awnings are 8 feet deep I think as opposed to 6 feet for the PVC type. Quite a bit bigger.

The date 1994 looks bang on. The kitchen is the new type but the top tier is shallow and the middle tier is very deep. The later kitchen has all 3 tiers the same depth. They were like this in 1994. I have seen a 1994 with this kitchen but it had glass windows. I guess the details didn't all suddenly change on January 1st each year. They probably had a pile of bits in the stores and had to use them all up before going over to the new. It seems to have been a slow evolution rather than a sudden change.

I too feel the Discovery is much better than a Designer and I wish they had carried on making them. The Designer looks good but has a lot less storage. The Discovery has the extra kitchen unit which can also be fitted at the door end of the settee making a useful TV table.

Good luck with your sale, I'm sure it will sell readily especially as it has so many good features making it stand out from the rest.

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 7:40 pm

Hi all,

Been getting some interest.. will be updating my advert soon.

Regards

Last edited by Rosen on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 7:38 pm

Hi Rosen, when I click the link it tells me to sign into Yahoo ...... I don't use Yahoo  scratch I can sign in using google but Yahoo then wants permission to view my email address and view information about my account. I then tried to sign in via facebook and get the same message regarding permissions to view my details.

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 8:04 pm

Ok, sorry, think it is a yahoo/flickr issue, not sure how I can post the album link, but heres a couple of photos showing the zip on awning.

Size of the awning is approximately 2.5m x 4.2m or 8ft x 13ft 9".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

navver

Post by navver on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:02 am

Thats really neat. I have the later dark blue designer and have exactly the same zip and clips as yours. I don't have an awning though, just a PVC sun canopy with the conventional dandy frame. Ian said mine was probably made for a show, where they sell them but don't know whether they want an awning or not.

Someone must have bought it and had the zip and clips etc fixed on somehow I would guess.
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 2:08 am

great photos and great looking Dandy love the awning stunning extra space good luck def a great buy
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:00 am

Wow that is a good looking Dandy, love the awning and the under bed skirts are another great addition.

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Sat 07 Jun 2014, 9:13 am

Thanks all,

Having several offers now through Preloved, unfortunately not quite as near my listed price as I wanted, so it is still available, maybe I will consider a lower price for just the Dandy+awning without all the accessories, or I just may keep it for another season. Wink

Just for information, the size of my dandy with the awning, is approx 4.5m X 4.2m (footprint)

Some more photos.

Thanks all for your input
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 07 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm

I would say that your advert on Preloved showing £1,650 ovno and then ending in "Open to sensible offers" does you no favours. buyers expect to haggle on fixed price sales sights like Preloved and Gumtree without getting an invite to do so
You have a cracking Dandy in a very rare specification and the best examples of Dandys should fetch a premium price. Last year appeared to be a low spot for Dandy prices see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Now it was 2012 but look what the Admiral ended up bidding for her Dandy.    
The Admiral wrote:
Tow Itch wrote:
Was it anyone who uses here? £2,752.52

It still may well be very good value. I do hope whoever bought it went to look at it. Spoil it for everyone if it's back on eBay next week.

Yes it was me and Nigel, I know it sounds a lot to pay, but we did go and view it on Saturday and we think it's worth it as its a really lovely unit. It's got upgraded 750kg suspension, both bed skirts, underfloor heating, proper Dandy awning with zip out sides and a kitchen unit, everything you could ask for really.

I am sorry to be selling Minnie, but this was too good an opportunity to miss!
Though lacking the 750Kg suspension and the gas struts I'd say yours is in the same order of rare find. The soft furnishings did really pimp this one as well.
I think the rare examples are worth a premium price imagine the cost of turning a run of the mill example into one like yours or the Admirals.

I had thought prices had risen this year they did appear to do so up to mid March with a so so uninsulated unheated Designer fetching £1,500 prices now seem to have dipped again. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My advice would have been to stick on eBay but it's no guarantee at the moment.
I realise that you live in Leicestershire but I'd be tempted to ask Ian what his rates are for a commission sale (you let him sell it for you) and what he thinks it would fetch. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We normally have people on here looking for Dandys surprised no one hasn't bit your hand off yet. Seen a lot less sell for a lot more.

Please show me a picture what is this roof rack device for the Dandy you mentioned at first?

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:47 am

Thanks again for all that info, I can probably agree with the prices going up/down/up etc, but I do think this time of year they should fetch a slightly higher price than the end of the season.

The price that I stated on my advert is what I think is a very good starting price considering the accessories that I am selling with the Dandy/awning, photos below.. but a sensible offer to me is saying I am flexible either way to work with a potential buyer, but it don't mean someone can haggle me down 40% of the price without even looking at it,  so hopefully it will enable somebody to get started and kitted up for summer, and I would be happy to pass on all my accessories rather them just being stored in my shed.

The luggage rack that I call it is just the top section of the bed, which has a retaining bar along the side, I usually put the spare trailer wheel in there, which has its own storage bag.

There is also a factory fitted external gas tap that can be used for a twin burner/grill, so you can cook outside or in the awning.  

Lightweight kitchen stand with the external camping stove.

Also two lightweight camping tables, again I used them in the awning.

Electrical items, 2 main 4 way sockets that simply plug into the trailers fuse box that has the sockets at either side of the main unit in the Dandy, clip on lights and the mains to 12v adapter for running the tap pump.

Digital TV aerial, extension lead, and booster, poles and bracket that attach to the jockey wheel with ease.

Some Dandy spares (let you work out what they are) for the actual trailer, plus spare curtain

Last couple, hanging shoe rack, Dandy window fly net cover, tent pegs, hanging storage bag and the heater cover.

As for the 750 wheel upgrade, which it has not been done on my Dandy but as you say could quite easy to be added by riva, also the gas struts, I was actually thinking about adding them myself, if I do end up keeping it.

Hopefully not only does this show what is with my Dandy but also gives a few of the forum members some ideas etc.

Regards

fifi81

Post by fifi81 on Tue 17 Jun 2014, 11:13 pm

Hello! I'm really interested in your Dandy - we're currently looking for our first Smile is it still available? Thanks

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 5:31 am

Hi, yes still available, I have sent you a pm with link to photos, any questions please contact me.

Rosen

Post by Rosen on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 9:02 am

Now sold, gone to a lovely family, wishing them lots of great holidays.

Still have the accessories, external cooker, tables, kitchen stand, tv aerial & booster, orange electrical lead, should anyone be interested please pm me, as these will be going on eBay shortly.

Big thanks for your help on here, much appreciated.

Shaun

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 8:18 am