Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

I've just fallen in love with Dandies!

Charlie B

I've just fallen in love with Dandies!

Post by Charlie B on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 4:22 pm

I caught sight of a card advertising a trailer tent in my local supermarket.  It got me thinking and realised that this is just what my friend and I need for our new retired life.  I have a dog, he has a tow hitch!

I have towed a big caravan across France but was never really happy doing so, Ken had a Raclet many years ago until it blew away. Today we have decided that a Dandy Dart would be the answer.

I have a dodgy knee which makes tenting a bit tricky but a trailer tent would be fine.  We hope to go to France a lot now we are both retired taking Charlie the hound (through Eurotunnel) with us.

We are on the lookout for an early Dandy Dart. We think a cheapy to start with and then go posh later on when we know that it will get used a lot.

Could anyone advise if an early Dart is very much different to put up from the one featured on RIVA's youtube video?

Cheers!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: I've just fallen in love with Dandies!

Post by Helen on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

The earlier Dandy's are different to put up as in the tubes that pull up the roof are shorter and then you extend them into position. Apart from that not much else differs ....... unless you find one with a storm pole which is a real bonus as it keeps the Dandy perfectly squared   I know they're not square but was looking for a word that people would know what I mean ....... if you know what I mean  Laughing  even with the storm pole it's straightforward

lots of us with Dandy's have something or other that's gone dodgy  affraid 

Welcome to the Dandy Campers Forum  
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

to the forum
Charlie B

Thank you for your kind welcome. Towing with a Wagon R?

Post by Charlie B on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 6:30 pm

May I ask how well a Dandy would fare being moored outside or should I try to clear the garage out to keep it out of the weather? I have a Suzuki Wagon R 1200cc. It looks like the weight would be OK but has anyone tried towing such a beast with a little car?

navver

Post by navver on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 7:35 pm

Mike on here tows a 6 which is 750kg fully loaded with a Punto 1.2. The darts are much less than that although fully loaded they are rated at 500kg but you probably won't load it to the limit.

The dandys are really stable having 10" wheels, good suspension and they are all braked trailers which helps a lot when towing with a small car. Many of the other trailer tents and folding campers are unbraked.

This is one with a smart car

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Someone else tows one wth a Nissan Micra 1.0 I think.

They can be kept outside without any problems. Mine is. The cover is PVC so could fade in the sun I guess, mine is in a fairly shaded posision. Any fading is purely cosmetic. The trailer sides are aluminium although early ones were timber or plastic I believe. The metal legs and towing hitch etc are galvanised but can rust where it has been welded. A coat of zinc paint should protect them and a caravan hitch cover may help.

Mine just sits outside though.

Charlie B

Many thanks Navver! Great information.

Post by Charlie B on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 7:50 pm

That really answers all my questions - so far. I'm sure there will be more but I have read lots of the threads and gained so much information. Thank you Navver for your speedy response, I will be dreaming tonight, I know.

Just a small thing - how would I recognise a fellow Forum member when we get to be out in our Dandy? Do you have a pennant?

Have a great summer everyone, the forecasts look good for a few weeks.

Jennywren

Hi Charlie B

Post by Jennywren on Sat 14 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm

I have a Suzuki 1.3 Carry van and towing my 1995 Dandy Dart is a dream, don't know its there unless I look in the mirror!
Which part of the country do you live?

Kind Regards Jennywren
Charlie B

Dandy/Suzuki combo

Post by Charlie B on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 5:44 am

Tha's great news Jenny. What an interesting set up. Although my friend has a tow hitch I would love to be able to take the grandchildren away for a night using my Wagon r. (Ken, Charlie dog and 2 kids and me in a Dandy may be pushing my sanity  Rolling Eyes )

I live in Pulborough, West Sussex. Where abouts are you?

I tried to add info and an avatar but there is no 'save' button on my screen.

Jennywren

reply Charlie B

Post by Jennywren on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 2:59 pm

Hi again Charlie I'm not very good at computers and often "loose" messages I am trying to send just before I have completed them....I live near Haverhill in Suffolk which is on the Cambridgeshire/Essex borders about 120 miles from you. my Dandy dart is exactley the same width as my Susuki van and is as I said great to tow.....However although I have had Gas struts fitted I find I still cannot put my Dandy up on my own. It maybe that  I am not tall enough and probably that having MS reduces my strength and stamina  even on a "Good" day doesn't help. I feel diappointed about this and don't like letting it beat me..I'm going to try again.....BUT..I may have to sell my Dandy and if you are intrested you can PM me and I can let you have my phone number and we could talk about that possibility.
Regards Jennywren
Charlie B

Post by Charlie B on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you may have to sell your Dart, due to your health. I've have to stop doing what I loved following some surgery that went a bit wrong so my sympathies and isn't it a b****r how life is so jolly unpredictable. It's a shame that nobody has invented a remote control type gizzmo that gets her up at the touch of a button.

Keep me posted as I'm really only on the nursey slopes of Dandy buying. I'm probably a month or two away from making a decision but that could change easily.

Chris.

Jennywren

reply to Charlie

Post by Jennywren on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 5:57 pm

OK Charlie just get in touch if you want to know any more about Dandy
All the best Jennywren
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 11:15 pm

scratch there's a thought if gorgeous George ( on space saving ) can have hydraulic side to his caravan why not Dandy's ooooh feel a plan coming on that's a good tech headache for Naver and Mr Tow itch to get their heads around  study 

Jennywren

more mechanical assistance!

Post by Jennywren on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

Hey Caz my son has started thinking along those lines.........if anyone can think of a PLAN I'm willing to listen!
Thanks folks
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 17 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

Hello Charlie

Welcome to the club.

My standard thoughts on selecting a Dandy.
Look at a few before you buy. You learn to see what is right and what isn't
Just as not all Reliants are Robins even though many think they are not all Dandys are Darts. The Dart or 4 is 4' in width plus wheels there is a Delta at 4' 10" and the Discovery and Designer at 5'10" one other reason for looking is because of this. 4'10" is a lot more spacious than 4' and 5'10 is another world altogether.
The unladen weight does creep up a bit as they get larger but they all top out at 500Kg gross.
Towing a Designer is 2/10ths of bugger all more complicated than towing a Dart. You can just feel an increase in presence but as with all of these rear entry Dandys they are remarkably stable. You will never get a twitch out of one. You can read the threads on dynamics if you wish but the stability of the smaller Dandys is no boast.
Towing with a small car. Dandys were designed to be towed with small cars. There are a few towed with classic Minis. I shall be seeing someone next week in your neck of the woods who tows with a classic Mini. They are towed with 2CVs Reliants etc. Cazz and Wayne tow a 5 with a classic VW type3. The 1991 brochure says that you would need at least (Mini) Metro to tow a Destiny. The Destiny at that time was as per a 6.
Local trike company from near me and their display at the BMF Rally. Guess what else you can tow a Dandy with?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Buying an old one? The older ones with the more rounded roof profile are slightly easier to erect the awnings but the awnings are slightly smaller.

Options: The options amount to size, awning, internal heater and insulated walls, rarer is the option of skirts. Though there are quite a few one offs.

Is a Dandy for you? You must attempt to erect a Dandy. Though probably the strongest folding camper and certainly the one with the longest lifespan they are not the lightest nor the easiest to erect. Gas struts on the beds help and though it's not been done yet as Caz Numbers muses if a 6 can have gas struts to lift the wall why not the others?

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 11:48 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
Guess what else you can tow a Dandy with?

What?? ... Oh yeah. Sorry, I completely lost interest in Dandy's for a moment or two there Tow Itch.

Can't think why ... there are certainly two stunning models in that picture  tongue 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 22 Sep 2018, 12:09 pm