Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Mice trouble

bedwok

Mice trouble

Post by bedwok on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

Hi

We opened up our Dandy a couple of months ago to give it a clean and an airing.............at which point we noticed several mice had used it as a comfy retreat for the winter. They have shredded all the curtains trashed the mattresses and generally made a right old mess. Just wondering if anyone else has had this trouble and how you stopped them re entering if so ?? We have had new mattresses and covers made ( not cheap ) and just getting the curtains sorted but obviously we are unable to or that should be unwilling to leave anything in the dandy, which is obviously a real pain when we come to use it !!!

Unable to post pics get error message saying file type not supported ? Using a tab photos taken on android phone but wouldn't have thought that would be a problem.

Any help would be greatly received. We have wondered if fitting velcro all the way around the top cover so we can stick it to the tub may help but to be honest not sure how the little fellows have got in .

Regards

Bedwok ( Pete )
Krist0n

Re: Mice trouble

Post by Krist0n on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 7:42 am

Have u got vents in the bottom of the trailer like our destiny has. The vents open up under the bench seats / storage area.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:19 am

You need to cover the pipe that goes through the floor when not in use.
My Discovery had a small piece of pipe fixed in the floor which you feed the pump through into the fresh water container.
If you have the same you may be able to get a blanking plug from a plumbers merchants, or just block it while the dandy isn't being used.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm

We had had a small visitor in Phoenix a couple of winters ago. Luckily not too much damage, so now we take all cushions and mattresses out now over winter and store them in the loft. We think that he/she sneaked in under the travel cover as when down the kitchen wall covers and seals off the waste water pipe.

navver

Post by navver on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm

Make sure there is no trace of food left in and try not to park it on grass in places mice might like to frequent.
bedwok

Post by bedwok on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the replys and suggestions.... We dont have any vents under the storage areas i have had a good look around for any entry points and the only 2 obvious ones ( apart from somehow getting under the cover ) are the waste water hole in the floor which was covered from the inside with a mirror and stuff" piled on top of it and a electric cable which had been weaved around the chassis ( but hanging down a couple of inches ) since removed and done properly. We can store mattresses etc over winter but are worried about leaving anything in there anytime after forking out so much to get it usable again.... but on the on the other side we dont keep sandy at home and dont want the hassle of having to erect every time before we go away and same again on our return aaaaarrrrg little gits catch twenty two. Anyone had any experience with the sonic repellant devices ?

4x4

Post by 4x4 on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 1:13 am

You won't stop them getting in now they've found a comfortable home they will chew there way in if the easy access is blocked and the tiny gaps they can squeeze through would amaze you . Traps inside would be my advice and if you can scrub the surrounding area with bleach so others can't follow the scent of the ones you caught .

mike a

Post by mike a on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:00 am

I have wondered about the very same, with our last trailer tent (a conway) I kept in a friends barn and a total mouse hang out!
I bought a cheap big roll of cling film and went round and round (till i was dizzy) the transit cover so it was gap proofed, and then left a sonic mouse chaser plugged into an ext lead under the trailer. I had no sign of mousy investigation at all, no droppings, no nibbles. I will do exactly the same with our designer this winter and fingers crossed no probs. hope this helps.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm

Pan scrubs inserted into the plastic pipe mice can't chew through these.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mothballs are also used to discourage mice [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 3:51 pm

Tow Itch wrote:Pan scrubs inserted into the plastic pipe mice can't chew through these.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mothballs are also used to discourage mice [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We used the pan scrubs and a battery operated sonic repellent over the winter in the garage and had no problems.
Linda Holmes

Post by Linda Holmes on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

The pan scrub idea sounds really effective - I must try that. We haven't had any probs with mice since we bought our Dandy, but they had had a field day in her before then. She had been parked up fully opened in long grass for a year and a half, and was being used as a teenagers den by the owners' kids. Mice had got in via the sink drain hole tubing and had peed and chewed their way through a fair chunk of seat cushion. The whole unit stank! We haven't had mice here and I had attributed it to the folded down kitchen unit blocking the vent, but as people have said, mice can gnaw through most things so I think I'll be giving the pan scrub a go when we open her up soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:49 am