Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Newbie with unknown poles, help!

Jaycee

Newbie with unknown poles, help!

Post by Jaycee on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 11:26 am

Hi, I purchased an old orange Dandy at the end of last year. We've had it up to check it out before we take it away in a couple of weeks. All seems well considering it ancient however I had two poles that I can't find instructions for. One is a square pole, short with holes and pins in each end, I wonder if this is to be used to stabilise the frame? The second looks home made so I don't know it it's a replacement or a handy extra. It looks like a shortened broom handle that has a flat metal hook added to the end, similar to the ends on the awning poles.

Any help would be welcome

navver

Re: Newbie with unknown poles, help!

Post by navver on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm

The square one might fit at the front between the drawbar and the kitchen (front) wall. They only did that on the early ones.

Other possibility is that there may be 2 short poles which hold the awning up close to the dandy. Almost like a windbreak pole if you know what I mean.

hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 9:54 pm

We also have orange dandy - its great just back from 2 weeks in it. Confirm Navver is correct for the short pole. On our site another more modern Dandy owner came over and said he was thinking of fitting one the same as his isn't very stable in a wind and he thinks its a good idea. the pole fits in channels on the wall and towbar using pins. You have to get it the right way round on ours or it won't fit. It feels a lot stronger with it in. I don't know about the other pole - is it for hanging things off inside it eg your suit !?

Jaycee

Post by Jaycee on Mon 07 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm

Thanks guys, really helpful input and I'll be opening my Dandy up again this weekend (weather permitting) to try and fit it between the drawbar and kitchen wall!
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

The square bar with the pins is a storm bar and does fit on the kitchen wall as said. We have one on Phoenix, see pic.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The short bar with a c clip on the end may be an extra support someone has made for your settee. It clips onto the top bar of the settee back and the bottom goes against the edge of the bed base. We have them to hold up the settee in our 6 but not Phoenix. We have wooden arms for the settee in Phoenix, what do you have?

Jaycee

Post by Jaycee on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

Thanks Phoenix, I'll check the settee out when we get the dandy up this weekend!

hannah3dog

Post by hannah3dog on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm

Mines identical to phoenix but not quite such good condition!!
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 6:06 pm

We have been asked how our storm bar is fitted as someone wants to fit one to their Dandy. We have posted this here in case anyone else wants to put one on theirs as well. We have just been out and took a picture of the bracket on the tow hitch. If needed next time we have Phoenix up we will take a picture of the other end, although it is basically the same just bolted onto the kitchen wall. The u shaped bracket's gap across is 1 inch to fit the piece of 1 inch box section. You can see in the picture there are 2 holes drilled in the flats of the u bracket they line up with the hole in the box section and are for the pin to go through holding it all in place.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:17 am