Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Designer Jockey wheel

DSJ

Designer Jockey wheel

Post by DSJ on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:19 pm

Hi
Has anyone got any simple ideas to loosen the jockey wheel on our Designer which is very tight and can hardly be turned. I’ve squirted WD40 and tried to get some oil down it but to no avail. Is this a common fault?
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Designer Jockey wheel

Post by mike on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:24 pm

One reason they can be tight is over the years they have been over tightened and the threads have distorted,i would say try copper slip and if not replace the clamp.

DSJ

Post by DSJ on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:44 pm

Hi Mike.

It's not the clamp, it's the actual jockey wheel itself which is very tight which we find it difficult to turn when putting on/off the towball.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 5:13 pm

Dont know of a way to improve that,maybe time for a replacement
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:14 pm

Anyone following this yes I have moved the thread and yes I have sent a message to the OP. 

Hello and congratulations on your first post.

Two point 1) I've never had this problem so I'm just trying to think my way through it. 2) I have no idea of your level of knowledge or competence so if I appear to pitch this to an idiot I'm just truing to cover all bases.

Does it move at all? 
If not:
Is it stuck? I always put a slight pinch on the handle when I raise the wheel (I also make sure the forks at the bottom are in the V notches and trap the jockey wheel behind the A frame. It's paranoia after losing the bottom part while driving) now 10 minutes after handling the jockey wheel I can't remember which way it winds. If it's a standard right hand screw on the thread then winding anticlockwise (looking down) will get the jockey wheel to move down sort of opposite logic. Does a jockey wheel have a left or right-hand thread though? The point of this? If the wheel is fully retracted is it stuck or are you winding the wrong way?

Loosen the clamp and inspect the point where it acted. The metal tube is not deformed at that point is it?

If it moves

It's either the clamp point, grit or more likely rust that is impairing movement.
 Small movements in both directions frequently repeated after trying to drip WD40 into the tube from the top. Try spraying under the cap on the top of the tube.
 If movement is still hard try striking the jockey wheel to get it to unwind. You can't make it more broke if it doesn't work.

Once you do get it free unwind the thread completely. If the problem was grit then remove as much as you can possibly using bottle brushes (poundland) and a solvent (paraffin) wipe off the inner thread apply new grease and see what grit is removed when you unwind again.
Rust. Bottle brush and paraffin. Paraffin is quite good at removing rust.
If the two halves won't free and you suspect rust you could apply heat to try and free things off. Remove the jockey wheel suspend horizontally and heat the tube with a large blowtorch.  

Do nothing? If after trying to move you thought it was going to break I might suggest doing nothing. Well I might suggest it on The smaller Dandys with a fit owner. Just use the clamp to raise and lower the wheel lifting as you go. Despite Riva suggesting only a 22Kg nose weight I'd not try this with a Destiny or Dimension.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 10:47 pm

DSJ wrote:Hi Mike.

It's not the clamp, it's the actual jockey wheel itself which is very tight which  we find it difficult to turn when putting on/off the towball.

Little bit lost here, is it the wheel not turning or the up and down motion as Mr Itch has covered.

If its the up and down motion you could always remove it from the clamp if possible invert it and WD40 down the inner tube to get to the threads from the underside.

If its the actual jockey wheel slacken off the wheel axle bolt a smidge, but make sure its a nyloc nut.

DSJ

Post by DSJ on Sun 20 Jul 2014, 12:01 am

Hi
Yes, it's the up and down motion that is very tight and I have since thought of removing it from the clamp and inverting it and then get WD40 and maybe some light oil down the inner tube to get to the threads from the underside which hopefully will have the desired effect.
Thank you for all your suggestions, I'm not technically minded. Although we had our first Dandy Designer from Howard Murray in 1991 which gave us nearly 20 fault free years before we sold it thinking our camping days were over. However, now in retirement, we realised how much we missed it so we went back to Ian for one of the last Designers he made. We are finding the quality of the new one leaves a bit to be desired!
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 20 Jul 2014, 1:26 pm

Having a senior moment where I was visualising the very old clamps where the screw directly operated on the tube and the jockey wheel wasn't removable until split into two pieces. 

Yes DSJ a few owners of older Dandys have said that the quality wasn't quite the same in the Dark Blue Dandys.

navver

Post by navver on Sun 20 Jul 2014, 7:25 pm

If the worst comes to the worst Ian sells a complete jockey wheel for £45

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I took mine out of the clamp and unscrewed the wheel bit by winding the handle, and gave it a good greasing. It was stiff before.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:49 am