Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Replacing a Spongey Floor...

splats576

Replacing a Spongey Floor...

Post by splats576 on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 11:38 am

Apologies if this has been asked but can anyone offer any step by step advice or experience on replacing the spongey floor. We have a '93, 6 Berth Destiny.
We're wondering whether it is worth relaying with mdf planks around all the cupboards and waterproofing underneath - or to strip everything out and do it properly on the bare chassis.

Husband had a lot of difficulty in getting the seats out of our ex-Designer, not as easy as led to believe and ended up making the floor good but damaging the seating!

Any stories or advice much appreciated!
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Re: Replacing a Spongey Floor...

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm

Just looking at your previous posts and got to thinking the floor and window might be related. I then re read and realised you're on your second Dandy and neither that you have bought sound like prime examples.

The bad news! Read to the last lines of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So what can we do?  This depends on how bad the sponginess is. If it's just a patch near the door or if it's a bit more extensive. Try reading [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] these cover most of our thoughts.

Re your Designer I remember you having window issues what happened with the floor?

As you might see from above your possible options are re flooring or a stop gap repair that might last 5 years or more if we're just looking at some minor issues near the door. I'd guess that you might like a bit of camping time rather than major repair time. If you are doing temporary repair then whatever you do don't use MDF for anything. MDF soaks up water like a kitchen towel then once wet has the same level of strength as the kitchen towel. OSB board was originally used for the floor but if you're patching  you need marine ply preferably or at least exterior grade [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Try and weigh up how much of a soft area you have then get back to us.

splats576

Post by splats576 on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 3:14 pm

Thankyou - that is helpful. I'm not convinced that its as bad as the board underneath 'separating' or 'coming apart'. I've had a look and still looks quite solid, original black paint all still in tact. Just a bit of flaky paint on the chassis- which i hope to start on tonight.

When you walk around - the floor simply feels very bouncy. Maybe we're not used to having such a big area that doesn't have as many cross pieces underneath??? (optimist?)

We sold our Dandy Designer having fixed the window problem - just added a bit of rubber seal to the joint where the side closes in. There was a leak at the door seal which had made the floor damp but not yet rotten, so both issues easily sorted by clever husband. We sold it as i impetuously found a bigger baby with fridge! We got a great price (£1500) for the Dandy 6, Just anxious i've given us a mountain to climb...
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 3:26 pm

Why not add your 2 penny worth to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] maybe tell roxiemansion about all the things you thought about afterwards but wished you'd looked at when buying the Highside.

BTW what age is it does it have an awning etc, etc. Remember "We love photos here."

splats576

Post by splats576 on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 3:39 pm

yes - it came with full awning and sun canopy, gas struts, winterized etc.

I had a good check around it before buying, no damp issues, no rotten flooring - just a small dunch in the back (that had been repaired and was water tight) - hence the low asking price. I'll have another crawl around underneath tonight.

Is it ridiculous to think the spongey floor could be less steel struts underneath and it's simply more bouncey?? Is that a silly question?!
We had read that the wood originally used loses its 'glue' after a few years, therefore its construction and is less compact, simply due to age. Does this sound feasible?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 5:37 pm

splats576 wrote:yes - it came with full awning and sun canopy, gas struts, winterized etc.  

I had a good check around it before buying, no damp issues, no rotten flooring - just a small dunch in the back (that had been repaired and was water tight) - hence the low asking price.  I'll have another crawl around underneath tonight.

Is it ridiculous to think the spongey floor could be less steel struts underneath and it's simply more bouncey??  Is that a silly question?!  
We had read that the wood originally used loses its 'glue' after a few years, therefore its construction and is less compact, simply due to age.  Does this sound feasible?

Your best test would be to stand in another Destiny. You could try feeling round the door and floor after a period of rain. OSB board isn't marine ply but I've yet to hear about it losing it's glue. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board

navver

Post by navver on Wed 06 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm

My 2005 designer bought from Ian has what I would call a bouncy floor. Ian says it is normal and caused by the support bars being wider spaced. So what you are saying is completely plausible. I've looked underneath and the wood appears to be fine and dry.

Not sure if the supports were wider spaced on the earlier ones.

Don't forget the suspension goes up and down a bit when you bounce inside as well.

splats576

Post by splats576 on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

Thankyou Navver - much appreciated. I think we worry too much about our Dandy - as i've been underneath it for the last few evenings and it is bone dry everywhere - just in need of a bit of Underseal and hammerite TLC.
Not not nice stuff trying to get out of your hair before work in the morning!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm