Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Fancy a new Hoover

mike
Dandy Owner

Fancy a new Hoover

Post by mike on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 11:13 am

Well buy it soon if you want power,the new rules come into play soon and you can only have a 900watt similar restrictions on hair dryer power,so pleased Europe is spending time and money sensibly Very Happy just bought an 1800watt vax on sell out from tesco,dont need it but like power affraid

No its not April the 1st
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Fancy a new Hoover

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 3:17 pm

It's not just hoovers and hairdryers though ...... they are going to also add fan ovens and fan heaters to the list affraid I hope they leave my convector alone Twisted Evil
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 3:38 pm

Looks like the BBC got it wrong its up to 1600 watts
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 6:12 pm

Yes but it will drop to 900 a couple of years after ..... I think it's 2017

navver

Post by navver on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 10:54 pm

I assume this is to save energy but if you use a low power heater or hair dryer etc., you will use it for longer to do the job. That will use just as much energy.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 12:16 am

I don't think the ever increasing power consumption of vacuum cleaners was matched by performance improvements. It was more of a marketing gimmick - "it's really powerful so it must be good".

My mum only a few years ago had to give up on the vac that she got as a wedding present because she could no longer get parts for it. It had a 450W motor and, trust me, if it wasn't doing it's job it would have been scrapped long ago.

For other appliances such as heaters, kettles, hairdryers there is only an exercise to look at how the efficency can be improved. Obviously limiting the power of something like a kettle is of no benefit, but many kettles boil for some time before the auto cut-off operates which is very wasteful. Kettles that switched off at 96 degrees (the ideal temperature for tea and coffee brewing) would save a massive amount of energy without affecting performance in any way.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 9:36 pm

peridot wrote:I don't think the ever increasing power consumption of vacuum cleaners was matched by performance improvements. It was more of a marketing gimmick - "it's really powerful so it must be good".

My mum only a few years ago had to give up on the vac that she got as a wedding present because she could no longer get parts for it. It had a 450W motor and, trust me, if it wasn't doing it's job it would have been scrapped long ago.

For other appliances such as heaters, kettles, hairdryers there is only an exercise to look at how the efficency can be improved. Obviously limiting the power of something like a kettle is of no benefit, but many kettles boil for some time before the auto cut-off operates which is very wasteful. Kettles that switched off at 96 degrees (the ideal temperature for tea and coffee brewing) would save a massive amount of energy without affecting performance in any way.

I can follow the general thread of what you are saying  but I do find this whole idea draconian and not altogether rational. We have been forced into halogen, LED or mini fluorescent lighting at the expense of the tungsten bulb. Apparently several types of light affected disorders don't do well with the lights. Most supermarkets have places to weigh in old batteries, I've never seen anything similar for the mercury containing mini fluorescents. What do readers do with theirs, pop them in the bin? We now have speed limits that may be varied in accordance to atmospheric pollution or at least we have their proposal. When the base load of pollution may well not be from the traffic. Welcome to the world of the power limited car and bans on barbecues due to environmental considerations.

What I do disagree desperately with is the statement that a kettle switching off at 960C is good enough to brew tea.
While peoples rules on brewing tea vary it is always held that the water should be at a rolling boil and the pot should be taken to the kettle not the kettle to the pot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] containing several other links to tea making. BTW the BBC reports on the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] report are in errror there actual findings can be found at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are several methods displayed in video but like all YouTube efforts they all contain errors. From the lady from Fortnum And Mason using a hot water dispenser and not freshly drawn and boiled water to Stephen Twining leaving the top off his tea caddy whilst pouring hot water in close proximity.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Steven Twinings effort.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Margo from Fortnum And Mason.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Another piece by Stephen Twining where he explains the difference between colour and taste.

As per normal if basic instructions are required WWII era films are the most instructive.

I understand that coffee is best prepared with water that is off the boil but unless you drink Chinese Green tea then it is bubbly boiling water.
The only piece I have found that recommends letting the water cool is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where it recommends allowing 20 seconds for the water to cool but that was extracted from BS 6008:1980.
The ISO standard is one of those cases where the ISO is inferior to the BS, not in this case as seems obvious that Johnny Foreigner knows bugger all about making tea but that: A) the water should be boiling B)Even if the instruction were not perfect water throughout the UK boils at approx 1000C An ISO regulation is world wide and it is possible to be cooling water that boiled at far less than 1000C if for example one was in Boulder Colorado. C) No size was given for the boiling vessel so 20 seconds of cooling could result in very different temperatures. D) Likewise for ambient temperature while cooling.

Yours well known bigoted xenophobe Tow itch. Much less well known for his love of a good cuppa.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 10:28 pm

Don't get me started on Compact Fluorescent Lamps

One of the greatest evils ever foisted on us by vested commercial interests riding roughshod over ignorant policy makers. I don't think we'll ever know the extent of wasted resources and environmental damage caused by these vile things.

We should have stuck with tungsten lamps until LED technology was sufficiently developed to offer a realistic alternative. I think it's almost there now, but it would have happened much faster and saved much more energy if CFLs had not been encouraged under utterly false pretenses.

As an aside I had a very interesting chat with an LED lighting supplier last weekend who, instead of trying to flog me his expensive fittings, offered some low cost options to convert the existing ones in the Dandy to LEDs. I plan to do so over winter and will report progress in the technical section.

As a coffee drinker, I will have to bow to superior knowledge on the tea front. I will follow the links for further elucidation.

Mrs P. is the tea drinker in our household and all I can say is that she is entirely happy with the beverage produced by our BiBo water dispenser set at 96 degrees. I think she will openly admit that were the house to catch fire she would first remove the BiBo to a place of safety and then check on the welfare of the rest of us Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm