Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Panda 1.2 & Dandy Dart/Delta

greycamper

Panda 1.2 & Dandy Dart/Delta

Post by greycamper on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 6:37 am

Hi,
Just thought I would say hello to everyone, just joined your group.

I have sold my caravan, and now want a Dandy. I have just purchased a new Fiat Panda 1.2, searching on the net, said not suitable for towing? Don't want to go to the expense of fitting tow bars etc, if it is unsuitable.

I want a Dandy Dart or Delta, can anyone help me with this, or anyone got a Panda & Dandy.

Thanks
Have a nice day everyone

Regards

Patricia
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Panda 1.2 & Dandy Dart/Delta

Post by mike on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 6:44 am

Welcome,no experience with the panda but i have had two puntos 1.2 and towed with both,first a Delta and then a dandy 6,dont know what engine variants there has been on the panda but there was a lady who towed a dandy with one.if its legal it should do it.

greycamper

Post by greycamper on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 7:49 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply

Regards
Patricia
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 9:33 am

There are some cars that can't be fitted with towbars e.g. Ford Ka.
Just visited Whitter's website and they list towbars up to this year. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] If you enter your reg Whitter will give definite answer.
I tried for information from Fiats website but they want your email address before you can download a brochure which I was uninclined to provide. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As long as you can fit a towbar the Panda it would be no problem towing a Dandy given the maximum gross weight (500Kg) and the fact that the Dandy is a braked trailer.
Dandys were designed to be towed by Minis and Reliants so a modern car with 69 horsepower and weighing just over a tonne would have no problem.

greycamper

Post by greycamper on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 10:48 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, you can fit a tow bar to a Panda, Whitter dont do a tow bar for the new style Panda, tow bar was no problem was more worried about the weight of the Dandy.
I am retired and I will be using it on my own or with the grandchildren.
I will go to Dandy at Wigan and try one to unfold etc may have to have things fitted to make it easier.
Thanks again
Regards
Patricia
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 6:43 pm

greycamper wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your reply, you can fit a tow bar to a Panda, Whitter dont do a tow bar for the new style Panda, tow bar was no problem was more worried about the weight of the Dandy.
I am retired and I will be using it on my own or with the grandchildren.
I will go to Dandy at Wigan and try one to unfold etc may have to have things fitted to make it easier.
Thanks again
Regards
Patricia

Gas struts on the beds would make it much easier. It has to be said that a Dandy isn't the lightest folding camper to erect but it is definitely the most rugged and long lasting.
This guy is cheaper than Ian for gas strut fitting. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

greycamper

Post by greycamper on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 6:58 pm

Hi,
Thanks will keep them in mind, was going to buy a Dandy instead og
f my caravan, but got a bargain I couldn't refuse, but hated towing it. Did have a bell tent, loved that, but was cold at night, old age creeping in. then it grained one day, and got wet just before leaving, what a chore that was drying it, never again.

So I am back to my Dandy again, should have got it in the first place, we all learn in the end Rolling Eyes

Regards
Patricia
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 08 Sep 2014, 10:01 pm

Hi and greycamper

Good luck in your search for your Dandy, they eventually find you in the end. Very Happy

navver

Post by navver on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 7:59 pm

Hi Greycamper and welcome.
I retire in 3 weeks and sold our caravan last year in readiness. I bought a Dandy Designer specifically so I could tow it with our 59 reg Panda 1.2. At the moment I still have the Mondeo so use that.

I used this forum to sus it all out and very helpful they all were. Mike on here has a Punto 1.2 and used to tow the Dandy 6 weighing 750kg so half as much again as the designer. My main problem was carrying a mobility scooter for my wife in the Panda, but luckily she seems to be managing without at the moment.

Our Panda has an 800kg tow limit so should cope well with the dandy. You will be amazed at how much easier they are to tow without the wind resistance of a caravan.

My wife didn't like the dandy much at first but she is getting to enjoy it much more now. She hates any change. Biggest problem was the lack of an on board toilet but we use a porta potti inside. I've made up a curtain across the middle to give her some privacy when using it. That has really helped.

Look at the designer or discovery as they are quite a lot bigger than the dart but without much extra weight.

The dandies are quite heavy to erect. I've got gas struts on the beds and that helps. I actually find lifting the walls the heaviest job but simply using a plastic step to lift the door wall onto before lifting with the bat wings helps if I'm on my own.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 18 Jul 2018, 11:28 pm