Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

How Old is to old

greycamper

How Old is to old

Post by greycamper on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 2:24 pm

Hi, Everybody

Was just thinking, how old is to old for camping, scratch I love camping, but don't see many senior citizens, they usually in their caravans or camper vans.

I just thought I would ask, no disrespect to anyone, or people with disability, I do not mean to offend anyone.  

Regards
Greycamper

navver

Re: How Old is to old

Post by navver on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 8:14 pm

I'm 65 in 3 weeks time. Absolutely no intention to give up. The dandy is so cheap to run, it's affordable on a modest pension

greycamper

How old is to old

Post by greycamper on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 8:30 pm

Thanks for your reply, a man I met was 85 but said his legs giving way now, felt sorry as he really loved camping, dont know what he going to do now.
Im 69, but I dont feel it still as mad as ever
Regards
Patricia
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 5:17 am

I reckon as long as u can still hack it, your not too old. I met a couple of quite an age on a camping trip, and they had just upgraded to a Mazda bongo with a drive away awning to make life a bit easier. I see myself in their shoes in 20-40 years time Smile  carry on camping!!! 
cheers

greycamper

How old is to old

Post by greycamper on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 9:18 am

Hi,

I started with a tent, went to a Bell Tent, hated sleeping on the ground, sold that, was thinking of a Dandy, but got a caravan, didn't like towing that, gave that to my son, went to see a Portafold, couldn't even lift the side, say's can erect in 2 mins, by one person, must be superman,  they do wobble when the first start to put it together, needs 2 to steady it.
then I was thinking about a campervan, but it was the cost, insurance, tax, repairs, etc, so now gone back to my first idea a Dandy, I will get there in the end

Regards
Patricia

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:28 am

I am 65 next year, started camping about 3yrs ago, bought a discovery, found it hard to put up on my own so i bought an eighties combi camp, a lot easier.
First camp very windy, went to pack it up and a rip appeared at a stress point in the canvas, what to do.
I bought a complete new canvas and fitted it, what a pain, now its a nearly new camper.
Third camp great, packing up my knee went through bed base, stripped it out and fitted a new bed base, now it is almost a new camper.
Just got back from another trip touch wood everything is okay and it should last for years now.
But i still miss the strength of the dandy, so i am on the look out for a project poss 60s 70s dandy to restore.
I still have all the aches and pains as i had when setting up the dandy, but i don't think age matters as such, its really what you want to do.
And i am sure i am a lot fitter than if i was just sat at home vegetating. Pete Smile

greycamper

How old is to old

Post by greycamper on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 11:01 am

Hi, Pete,

I like the Comanche Brisa, and was thinking about one, but when I had my bell tent and it got wet, it was a nightmare drying it. I have no garage, so it would be difficult, was going to spray it with Nik Wax but don't think that would stop it, when packed from going mouldy.

So back to the Dandy, going to get a Dart and have Struts fitted, Ian at Riva said that would be OK, if not have to scratch my head, with my grey hair, look dazed, and hope someone comes to the rescue ha ha,  lol!  they do when I'm shopping," You alright Love ha ha", works every time.

Mind you I wont be wild camping, done that with the grandchildren, now when I say I'm going camping, they say "Don't forget the axe" forgo I had to chop the wood, had to go buy one, but did love it at the time. Campsites only, getting soft now.

Patricia

navver

Post by navver on Sat 13 Sep 2014, 8:35 pm

I'll bet if you turned up on a site with a dandy and there was a bloke sat in a chair outside his tent/camper/caravan and you asked him for a hand to put it up, he would with pleasure. I know I would. Many would be inquisitive as to what was inside that trailer.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 25 Sep 2014, 12:17 am

We have had a lousy year this year for group camping. If we can knobble you for a camping trip next year I promise to give you a hand.
A long trip down to Chichester the Thursday before last for the Goodwood Revival. Caz Numbers and family gave me a hand setting up but I came over all lazy and didn't bother setting up the awning the next day which is probably a first for me.

As per navver I do find the front and back walls the biggest strain. Though it was blessed relief on the Monday that it was a beautifully calm day. As the campsite is parallel with a WWII airfield you can if on your own spend ages chasing the roof trying to get it to fold up.

greycamper

How old is to old

Post by greycamper on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 2:26 pm

Thanks for your reply, seems as you get older, seem to get weaker, take all these superfoods, feel fit, till I faced with something heavy, not to worry always some way round it, daft ideas always come in my head, try it then back to the drawing board ha ha.

wont be the first time dragged some nice man off the street to help , trouble is when you camping no streets

regards
Patricia

navver

Post by navver on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 8:01 pm

I'm in the process of getting dear old Mother incarcerated in an old folks home, so going round a few at the moment. She has dementure and I am seeing some awful sights. It's an almost Scrooge like glimpse into the possible future for me and it doesn't look good. Having helped design many such homes over the years, I can see they are now much better than they were. Who knows they may even have a cure when my time comes or more likely they'll just put us down.

The important thing is to get the most out of what we have left and keep doing the things we enjoy as long as possible.

greycamper

How old is to old

Post by greycamper on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:37 pm

Hi,

Thats what I say, enjoy life while you can, it comes to us all in the end cant avoid it. I had a life changing op, a couple of years ago, so I just enjoy myself now, always loved camping, so what the hell, might as well enjoy it.

Doctor said cant go camping, what can they do to you, smack you and send you to bed, ha ha

Wanted a campervan, cheap one, but then you have insurance, mot, tax, repairs so I will get a dandy, enjoy it better, better atmosphere on a campsite, found that out with my caravan, never enjoyed it, gave it to my son/

Regards
Patricia
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 11:05 pm

Hi Greycamper and welcome.
My other half is 70 and has camped all his life. The Dandy has extended his enjoyment no end. We got fed up getting up off the ground in the tent. We have a delta with struts fitted. I would say, we have had offers of help on campsites the last few years. And have had folks asking to photo Dora and look inside.
With the struts you have no heavy lifting at all. But still grab that nice man. Twisted Evil
Essie
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:14 pm

Now if you get wind ..... I mean when setting up and packing away Laughing then you really will need an extra pair of hands, the struts are great but they don't make up for having someone to shout at if the wind catches the roof or any moving Dandy wall Twisted Evil

Don't attempt erecting and putting down in winds on your own if there is someone that you can rope in as the Dandy (& you) could get damaged.

greycamper

how old is to old

Post by greycamper on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 8:48 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that, will remember, if its windy have to stay bit longer ha ha.

Regards
Patricia

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:50 am