Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Hello from Weymouth

Jase Y

Hello from Weymouth

Post by Jase Y on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 7:46 pm

Hi All,

I don't own a Dandy yet, but am really keen on looking at one. My wife and I have always camped, tents, VW vans even a 1968 Westfalia caravan.
We have a three year old and one year old, we think a Dandy could work for us so any advice would be gratefully received. Trouble is only place I've seen selling them is way up North at Riva Dandy?
How much is a real world price for a 6 berth, preferably winterised with heater?

Hope to find one and get to some meets

Jase and Clan

navver

Re: Hello from Weymouth

Post by navver on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 8:23 pm

6 berths started as a dandy 6. These can be had for about £500 for a brown one from the 80s, but maybe up to £1200 depending on equipment awning etc.. Later light blue and white ones were called Destiny Lowside but were really exactly the same as the old brown 6s, probably £1000 ish maybe more with equipment.

In about 1994 they invented the Destiny Highside which, guess what, was higher and included a built in fridge. These would be £1800 to £3000 as they ran until 2003 and price depends on equipment such as awning, heater, insulated side walls, underskirts and later, they had posher coloured upholstery.

In 2004 they introduced the toilet Destiny, which has a built in cassette toilet in its own compartment with a washbasin. One on ebay for £4750 and one for £6000.

The 6s, lowsides and all 750kg max weight and 9' long trailer body. The toilet destiny is 11'6 long and 1000kg max.

There is also a Dimension from 2004 which is shorter but still 1000kg and doesn't have a toilet. Similar price to the toilet destiny.

Not sure if there is anyone close to you. There is a members map on here showing where members are.

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm

Pretty much as per navver.

In about 1994 they invented the Destiny Highside which, guess what, was higher and included a built in fridge. These would be £1800 to £3000 as they ran until 2003 and price depends on equipment such as awning, heater, insulated side walls, underskirts and later, they had posher coloured upholstery.

With the odd exception I'd say a top price of £2,500.
Never exactly sure when the last of the Riviera heaters disappeared but the chances are that with the end of the 1990s it won't have a heater. There are (possibly single figure) a few of these that are longer with a bathroom as per the post 2004 ones. In the 3 years of this forum I've heard of 2. Not exactly sure but I think the weight was increased.

Not knowing where you live I don't know if we have members close to you but to see if we have anyone close use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] then check the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see if they have posted recently then try a personal message to see if they're happy to let you look at their Dandy.

Few of the 6s are insulated (but some are) most of the Destiny Lowsides are insulated (but a few aren't) as far as I know all Destiny Highsides are insulated. I don't think insulation is the end of the world. For sure I'd prefer it but any Dandy is far warmer than a canvas folding camper. I think it is more to do with removing visible signs of condensation and condensation is not the issue anti Dandy people would have you believe. Do a search to see how few questions on it there are. Far more important in my view is the heater, this takes the chill off a summer or autumn evening or gives safe 24/7 heating if camping in winter. Winter camping is very possible and here I might concede the advantage of an insulated Dandy.
Some late model Dandys might be fitted with a Propex heater [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] these might be more efficient at distributing the heat  in a large  camper but do take a toll on the battery life and aren't exactly silent. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] See comment no 8 onwards.
As this is all portable gas equipment either a Propex or Riviera can legally be self fitted.

We have had members report some towing stability issues with the Dark Blue Highside Destinys.

The older brown 6s can be a bargain way to test your toe in the water and bar a wet and spongy floor the most expensive fix is new suspension at sub £250.00 for the new parts.

navver

Post by navver on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 10:53 pm

Looks like Weymouth is a huge hole in membership of dandy campers. It is posh down there.

Looks like Esmeralda near Exeter, me in Bristol or Peridot in South Wales. I have a 2005 designer. Peridot a toilet destiny.

Jase Y

Post by Jase Y on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:28 am

Thanks all for the comprehensive replies, Weymouth posh? You wouldn't think so if you lived here. Good beaches and nice countryside though. We go to Devon and Corwall mostly, but just did a big trip to France with our campervan and awning (camping with small kids was hard). Didn't go to well hence the move to a Dandy. Looked at couple of mouldy Pennines which put the Mrs off, but these look great, cool and a little quirky.
I don't really understand what they do to winterise a Dandy but I assume insulate floor and bed boards somehow?
I really want a good one that I can trust, have read the what to look for thread. A winterised one with heater would be my preferred option. Is anyone retro fitting a propex? See they do external floor mount ones now. Also can a motor mover be fitted? My reversings not brilliant and its a bit tight getting up the drive. Are they ok stored outside??
I have seen a company Riva Dandy advertising them, but they seem a bit dearer than indicated but I assume they are all serviced up and raring to go then.
I'll keep a look out, get as much knowledge as I can from the forum and hopefully get to a meet when we have one.

Thanks
Jase
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 7:38 am

Winterised is a strange term,it can be applied to a dandy that has twin wall pvc with a thin layer of foam in between (the same as all dandy roofs) and the under floor heater,floors are not insulated and bed bases are not.The floor doesn't matter the carpet takes care of that,the bed bases are a controversial item,normal summer camping not a great problem but in winter and cold weather the cold can come through and make you cold in bed.

I have Dandy camped in some very cold winter weather and solved the bed problem by laying good quality self inflating air beds on the mattress,these are foam filled and stop the cold coming through and more important stop your body heat striking the cold bed board which in all folding campers not just dandys can cause condensation.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 8:45 pm

Jase Y wrote:Thanks all for the comprehensive replies, Weymouth posh? You wouldn't think so if you lived here. Good beaches and nice countryside though. We go to Devon and Corwall mostly, but just did a big trip to France with our campervan and awning (camping with small kids was hard). Didn't go to well hence the move to a Dandy. Looked at couple of mouldy Pennines which put the Mrs off, but these look great, cool and a little quirky.
I don't really understand what they do to winterise a Dandy but I assume insulate floor and bed boards somehow?
I really want a good one that I can trust, have read the what to look for thread. A winterised one with heater would be my preferred option. Is anyone retro fitting a propex? See they do external floor mount ones now. Also can a motor mover be fitted? My reversings not brilliant and its a bit tight getting up the drive. Are they ok stored outside??
I have seen a company Riva Dandy advertising them, but they seem a bit dearer than indicated but I assume they are all serviced up and raring to go then.
I'll keep a look out, get as much knowledge as I can from the forum and hopefully get to a meet when we have one.

Thanks
Jase

Mikes covered winterising except that some will try to say that winterising is just the wall insulation. Do check anyway as so many are just plain confused about Dandys.
For example this Dandy isn't winterised [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] look at how clearly you can see the single layer of blue and white PVC in the 5th and 7th pictures. This Dandy is winterised [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] For a second looking at the 8th picture I thought it wasn't but it's clearer in the 10th picture the blue and white is more defuse. You can see a hint of blue and white as there is a strong light source behind if it were cloudy the wall would just look white.

It depends what you mean as trust. Providing you don't buy a Dandy with a soggy floor the worst problem you can have is faulty suspension and in that case all the new parts cost sub £250.00 which is pennies and ha'pennies compared to caravan repairs.

Is any one retro fitting a propex? John did as did at least one other member who I can't remember at this point. This one must have been retrofitted as it was originally fitted with a Riviera heater [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Look at pictures 6 and 11. Why would you do this??????
peridot has either retrofitted a Riviera heater or is about to do so. All the fitting and use instructions are here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

Can a motor mover be fitted. Yes it can several of the Dark Blue Destinys have had motor movers fitted. peridot fitted one to his. Do remember if you go down this road you are also tying yourself up to using a substantial leisure battery as well.
Your reversings not brilliant. Is that it's not brilliant period or it's not brilliant when reversing a trailer? If just not brilliant while reversing a trailer do remember that trailers get easier to reverse as they get larger. Small trailers are almost impossible to reverse, I can reverse my Designer into my drive but I tend to unhook it as I live on a busy road but I have reversed larger trailers in with little clearance. Nothing improves things as much as practice.
Mike had similar problems having a tight sloping drive and wanting to park his 6 on it. In the end he fixed up a bracket to allow him to mount a winch for pulling the Dandy up  the drive. We have details if needed.

Are they OK stored outside. Yes the rear entry ones are best stored with the front a few inches higher than the rear to stop any possibility of water creep through the door. This is not possible with side entry models but many are stored outside. Oversize covers that reach over the sides are available. Do consider that the Dandy not being there is a sign that you are away from home.

Riva Dandy Sales (formerly Riva Leisure) No longer manufacture new Dandys but Ian (the owner) did manufacture Dandys and does have the equipment to reproduce virtually anything needed. Most parts were also not specially produced so are available from general hardware.
As for parts backup Ian is just a phone call away and is really supportive. Do contrast this with reports from Conway and Pennine owners about Pennine. If wanting to contact Ian do phone emails are a bit hit and miss.
Ian either sells as a commission sale or as a fully warranted sale by Riva. Yes he is more expensive than a private sale he offers a guarantee and has a living to make.
Some of his sales and repairs are not cheap but I've never heard anyone speak badly about his work. You pays yer money and you take your chances.

Do have a good read and ask about any thing you're not sure of.
After a non existent year for group camping this year it's nice to see new members asking about camping for next year.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sat 04 Oct 2014, 9:40 pm

Hello Jase Y and Family.

Hope all your questions have been covered so far, if you have more don't hesitate to ask. Smile

We visited Weymouth for a day while on our honeymoon a few years ago.
Really like that part of the country.

We stayed at a B&B in Sturminster Marshall. I had been there a few times before Mrs P and I got together.

Thinking about it I camped near Weymouth in Phoenix a long time ago, before she needed rebuilding.  Rolling Eyes

Jase Y

Post by Jase Y on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 5:39 am

Thanks again,

We've made our mind up and will be seriously looking. We have a T4 van I converted which we will use to tow. Makes quite a long set up then, which was my excuse with the reversing onto the drive. Have moved the gate post a bit now as well since the Mrs knocked it down in my van! So may be ok.
See there's a couple of Destinys for sale on the RivaDandy site, so will have to try get up to have a look. Long way up from Weymouth, but not a small investment for us us. Shame the newer models don't have heaters. Perhaps an oil filled radiator will do the trick. Sure there will be more questions once we've got one.

Happy camping

Jase
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 6:39 am

Jase Y wrote:Thanks again,

We've made our mind up and will be seriously looking. We have a T4 van I converted which we will use to tow. Makes quite a long set up then, which was my excuse with the reversing onto the drive. Have moved the gate post a bit now as well since the Mrs knocked it down in my van! So may be ok.
See there's a couple of Destinys for sale on the RivaDandy site, so will have to try get up to have a look. Long way up from Weymouth, but not a small investment for us us. Shame the newer models don't have heaters. Perhaps an oil filled radiator will do the trick. Sure there will be more questions once we've got one.

Happy camping

Jase

I always used electric hook up and found a small convector heater best,it gave more instant heat.

Like this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

navver

Post by navver on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm

The Riva web site isn't always up to date on what he has to sell. Best to ring and ask. Which model destiny are you after. Lowside, high side or toilet.

Jase Y

Post by Jase Y on Sun 05 Oct 2014, 4:42 pm

navver wrote:The Riva web site isn't always up to date on what he has to sell. Best to ring and ask. Which model destiny are you after. Lowside, high side or toilet.

After a Dimension or Destiny I think, not really to bothered about a toilet, but may be handy with the kids. Main things got to be condition, Don't mind reupholstering cushions and sorting mattresses but want a trailer I trust isn't going to shed a wheel or go through the floor. Not a lot of time with the kids so want to be able to pack and go if you know what I mean...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 11:07 am