Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Awning Zips - at our wits end

chrisb

Awning Zips - at our wits end

Post by chrisb on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 6:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please can kind folk shine any light on our zip puzzle. So we got this awning with the Dart and were doing so well putting it up on Saturday last until we came to the front 2 x panel zips. Has anyone please got any experience of these Marchal Awnings ? The 2 end panel zips are straightforward, no problem but on the 2 front panels ( photographed ) the zips actually "run off " the zipper and regardless of what way we configure them it can "rip up" from one side leaving it impossible to close. Whilst it looks pretty new and perfect condition we can only conclude that the incorrect zips were fitted to these particular panels. At one stage I actually thought that we had the awning up inside out, such was our frustration. We cannot positively "close" the zip from both ends. Are each of these zippers supposed to have 2 x "zips" each ? Are we missing something here ? This is driving us MAD  Evil or Very Mad
Any help appreciated.
Chris B
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Awning Zips - at our wits end

Post by Helen on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 8:51 pm

We had the same thing with a canvas caravan awning Chris, it's supposed to be like that and means you can have the top half of each section open without the bottom being open, you can get what's called veranda rails to support the weight of the fabric. It is frustrating and took us ages to figure it out too, we had the front panels of our caravan awning off and seriously struggled to get them zipped in. you could put a hook and eye on the bottoms to stop it opening on it's own. We figured that we had a zip end at the bottom of each side of each panel and also two more at the top center of each panel.
chrisb

Post by chrisb on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:29 am

Thank you for your reply Helen,
A bit like getting a jigsaw puzzle with no photo on the box!! We don't know what we are attempting here. The metal "zip pullers" were separate to the zips themselves. Regardless of what we do ( 5 folk have now tried to figure this out ) there is no way to prevent the closed zip " ripping open from the bottom" . It certainly looks as if the they were stitched on incorrectly left to right. Either on the panels or on the main Awning. I can put each panel on the opposite side left to right / right to left BUT they are now inside out. If only they fitted the same zips as they did on the 2 x side panels. Sad
Chris

navver

Post by navver on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 3:14 pm

I've had one of these and from hazy memory; I think both zippers go on to one panel, both say at the bottom. You then attach the other panel through the top one and into the bottom one. Then slide the top one up away from the bottom one to fasten the zip. The bottom zipper forms what would normally be the end you thread the zip into.

I think the thin end of one is at the bottom and the top one has the thin end facing up.

I think there is a stopper at the bottom of one panel and at the top of the other. So you thread the bottom zipper on from the top and vice versa.
That way you can slide the bottom one up or the top one down to open.

Is that clear?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 6:26 pm

I tried to comment on this last night but upon trying post a long thread I got caught out by the time activated log out so my post disappeared into the ether.

Rather more briefly I think you have a two way opening zip. I see looking at your photos you have two different designs of zip sliders noticing this added to my belief about the type of zip you have.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One zip slider is slid on in the conventional Y configuration where it would collect both sets of teeth together to form the closed zip. The other slider is slid on right behind it in an inverted position where it would spread the zip out so the flap can be opened in either direction.
I'm hoping that you have four zip sliders or two pairs with one of each kind of slider in each pair. There should be a stop to prevent the sliders running right off the ends but these can be acquired.
I can't find a film on industrial zippers but to clarify as best I can what I think you have is a two way separator type M as shown here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
A film on several details of zips but nothing about two way separator zips.

This piece on two way separating zips is more based on clothing type zips but it should add clarity.

I know of places locally to me that work with tents and awnings but that is not much use to you in Ireland. You can find loads of people who deal in zips on the web and if you need two more more sliders then just the sliders are available.
chrisb

Post by chrisb on Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:30 pm

YES!YES! Very Happy A huge thank you to all for your replies.
Tow Itch you were spot on. We had it figured that both needed to be on "square end to square end" on the sliders but having tried pushing the end pin through the 2 sliders together we gave up: we actually went at it again with a bit more grunt and bingo, both on in their correct profile. They are Type M as you suggest and they work perfectly. We wasted last Saturday afternoon like two clowns trying to operate the awning instead of going for a nice walk but heyho all forgotten now. I am just leaving the sliders in their correct position from here on ready to accept the pins on the panel zips. Don't know why they were ever taken off. And the detail with the pullers on the sliders being different only added to confusion. They are actually identical ( all 4 ) except 1 has a different "puller" .
Again, many thanks for your assistance, I was at the end of my tether and just about to start the proverbial modifications. There's no doubt: if all else fails READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. . .if you have them.
Chris B
chrisb

Post by chrisb on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 5:29 pm

As a footnote: In future should anyone access this with the same problem: All 4 Zippers ( pullers )  start at the bottom of the center awning vertical leg - not on the panels - and each panel connects down into each pair of zippers. Sounds confusing but if you are looking at the components it all makes sense.
Again, many thanks for all replies. Much appreciated.
Chris
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 5:38 pm

chrisb wrote:As a footnote: In future should anyone access this with the same problem: All 4 Zippers ( pullers )  start at the bottom of the center awning vertical leg - not on the panels - and each panel connects down into each pair of zippers. Sounds confusing but if you are looking at the components it all makes sense.
Again, many thanks for all replies. Much appreciated.
Chris

All 4 Zippers ( pullers )  start at the bottom of the center awning vertical leg - not on the panels
You are stating to start from the centre leg of the awning. Does that mean that the outside ends have stops on?
I'd probably consider sewing/melting/fixing stops on both ends (all 4 ends) of the awning zip.

Glad we were of some use and all came good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:28 pm