Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Lubricating Wheel Bearings

chrisb

Lubricating Wheel Bearings

Post by chrisb on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 8:35 am

How exactly are they lubricated ? Does the centre cap prise / tap off and you pack in grease or is there a grease nipple somewhere?  No doubt the 97 Dart that I have is different to others, I have tried and failed to "host and image" . . are there current instructions on how to add a photo please ?
Many thanks,
Chris

navver

Re: Lubricating Wheel Bearings

Post by navver on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

There are instructions on how to post an image. I used to be able to do it but since changing to Windows 8.1 I cannot on any forum.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For your wheel bearings.
Jack up the wheel and remove it.
Prise or tap off the central dust cover.
Inside there is a castellated nut with a split pin. Remove the spit pin and undo the nut. It is probably no more than finger tight.
Remove the drum complete with bearings. There will be a pressure washer under the nut.
The bearings are taper roller type, the inner one has an oil seal as part of the bearing. The oil seal fits on the inside i.e. on the side nearest the middle of the camper.
Remove the bearings and clean, then pack with bearing grease.
Put the inner bearing on the stub axle, followed by the drum, then the outer roller bearing, pressure washer, castellated nut.
Now the nut has to be tightened but only to the point where there is no play. It#s useful to put a spanner on it and while spinning the hub back and forward, tighten and loosen the nut repeatedly while gradually tightening it until the wheel spins freely but with no play.
Then fit the split pin, dust cap and wheel.

The bearing races are pressed into the hub. If the bearings are in poor condition there will be a number stamped on them so you can get a replacement. The two will be different because the inner has an oil seal and the outer doesn't. You may want to replace the race by getting the new one pressed in.

It's quite easy to do.
chrisb

Post by chrisb on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:55 pm

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.
Much appreciated,
Chris

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:19 pm