Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

I Couldn't Resist ...

peridot
Dandy Admin

I Couldn't Resist ...

Post by peridot on Sat 25 Jul 2015, 10:26 pm

I've always had a hankering after one of the early 60s green Dandys.

I recall before ever considering owning a Dandy, seeing a beautifully renovated one go for a song on ebay and often wish I'd known enough at the time to nab it.

I've often been tempted to buy one in need of renovation and do it up but, in reality I knew I'd never find the time for it.

So when a renovated one popped up recently on ebay, I knew it was meant for me -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know some people prefer them to be kept as close as possible to original colours and finishes, but I quite like the variety of individual styling.

I'm going to pick it up next Friday although it will be late August before I get the chance to give it its first outing.

Not sure where this leaves the Destiny. I'll be keeping both for the rest of this year but its really not getting the use it deserves and managing it where I live is proving problematic. I'll decide over winter.

navver

Re: I Couldn't Resist ...

Post by navver on Sun 26 Jul 2015, 12:20 am

Wow, that's what you call a dandy. Looks beautiful. I actually like the make over as the original dark wood can be very oppressive by todays tastes.

The awning looks good as well. Does the sloping awning flaps make it the earlier version? I guess it's a 4/5. Should generate a lot of interest on site.

We've just got back from a week at Cornwall and there were several folding campers (canvas ones) on the site. Don't normally see any at all and I wonder if they are becoming more popular.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 26 Jul 2015, 11:07 am

Cheers navver. I was guessing a 4/5 too. I need to get hold of it and do some more investigating in conjunction with some of the posts here describing the subtle differences.

I guess I may having towing height issues too. Current car has a swan neck bar so can't use a drop plate. I'll see how it looks on the trip home.

I was thinking that I seem to see more folding campers around too. We're staying at Slimbridge at the moment and there's a couple on site.

Sanjo

Post by Sanjo on Sun 26 Jul 2015, 1:57 pm

Saw this on the facebook page and it is really lovely. Sean did the sprucing up really well by the look of it. I hope it give you a lot of pleasure
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm

Oh that is nice. I'd lift copies of his renovation photos while you can.
I think that we are looking at an early 70's Dandy. The angled walls on the awning are later than the first vertical wall models. There are some orange/yellow Dandys with the earlier vertical awning walls as well as the first greens.
The seller refers to sanding back the aluminium  trim on the doors but I think the new aluminium strips he used were to replace the brown PVC edging you can see in the renovation photos. You Dandy is slightly older than mine as it has the wooden ends to lift the settee upright whereas mine has the tube frame at the back. The Cushionflor it had was the same pattern as mine is.  
Never seen a Dandy with a conventional Yale cylinder lock before. Well never seen one with it as the sole lock.

Nice touch with the new rear light clusters. Please see if he still has the old ones. I'd buy them as spares!

This type of awning is easier to erect than the later awnings.

Best of luck if you can get the other half to accompany you in this. I like it but I'd have to admit it's a whole lot more rudimentary than your Destiny. Especially so with all the mods you made though this would be far easier for solo camping.

Sanjo wrote:Saw this on the facebook page and it is really lovely.  Sean did the sprucing up really well by the look of it.  I hope it give you a lot of pleasure
Do we know who renovated this? I don't do facebook.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 5:36 pm

Thanks for the pointers Tow Itch.

I'll enquire about the light clusters. The new ones are a bit brash but they look effective.

I'm pleased the awning is easier to erect as it will get a lot more use with this one.

I'll be keeping both units initially anyway, and I don't envisage Mrs P setting foot in this one. It will be mainly for myself and daughter at the music festivals and will have it's first outing with us at the Green Man in August, which seems appropriate.

The big one seemed a bit silly there when all we need is somewhere to crash out at night and cook breakfast in the morning Smile

navver

Post by navver on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 7:54 pm

You've got the bracket for the support bar on the outside of the window wall as well. No bar because the box has been added. That bar is an early feature.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 28 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm

navver wrote:You've got the bracket for the support bar on the outside of the window wall as well. No bar because the box has been added. That bar is an early feature.

I've still got the bar on mine.

Is the roof bar on the settee side misaligned? It looks further out from centre on the door side than the hitch side.

There is a hole underneath the handle on the Bradley hitch. I opened mine out to something like 11mm. It now has a substantial padlock that holds the handle in place and can be left in situ while towing.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 12:08 am

The bar looks misaligned on one of the photos, but okay on others. I'll check it out on Friday.

It's a great many years since I've seen a Bradley hitch, but I do remember the padlock hole. That's a nice simple hitch lock system, I'll make use of it.

Sanjo

Post by Sanjo on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 5:53 pm

Sanjo wrote:Saw this on the facebook page and it is really lovely.  Sean did the sprucing up really well by the look of it.  I hope it give you a lot of pleasure
Do we know who renovated this? I don't do facebook.[/quote]

On facebook it was a man called Sean McCaffrey.

I've tried to post a picture but cannot do it .Sorry

Sanjo

Post by Sanjo on Sun 02 Aug 2015, 6:02 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm

I collected the camper last week and it towed fine. No major problem with hitch height.

Previous owner Sean is a really nice guy. His major passion is motorbikes and trikes, and the machine he used to tow the camper is a real beast of beauty. I'm sure he won't mind me reproducing his photo below.

I did enquire about the light clusters Tow Itch, but they'd been thrown away with the old end boards.

We were heading off on holiday at the weekend and are now enjoying (?) 37 degree heat in Italy so further investigation of the Dandy will have to wait a little while.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

navver

Post by navver on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 7:59 pm

Wow that's got the look of a car engine about it. Would probably make a good job of toing your destiny.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sat 08 Aug 2015, 4:11 pm

I think he said it was a 3.2 litre engine navver, so yes.

He certainly mentioned the pleasure of giving a little wave to the 4x4 drivers towing caravans as he whizzed past them with the Dandy on steep hills Smile

peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Sun 20 Sep 2015, 10:27 pm

Well, after a few very successful trips away in the "new" Dandy, we've decided after much deliberation that we're not really going to get sufficient use out of the Destiny so it's time for her to move on to her next carer.

As we've no space where we live to erect the camper, the best bet is for her to return home to Wigan for a little while, where Ian can have her on display.

So we're off up the M5/M6 tomorrow to bid farewell. I think it's going to feel just a little bit like a child leaving home and we will miss her. I won't know what to do with all that space in the garage Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm