Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Oh Dear.....Dandy number 3

ChrisP

Oh Dear.....Dandy number 3

Post by ChrisP on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 8:15 pm

Just bought this one on ebay.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I just missed out on a really tatty 4 with inboard wheels earlier this afternoon, but secured this one. Significantly more expensive, but it does look much nicer... and although not insulated, does have the underfloor heater as well as the awning.

I should be collecting it later in the week.

Although this is my third, I only have one other (4/5) at the moment since I downsized from a Destiny.

I will post some pictures once it is collected.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Re: Oh Dear.....Dandy number 3

Post by peridot on Sun 09 Aug 2015, 11:18 pm

Looks like a really clean and well-maintained unit there Chris P. I'd say it was well worth the price.

I'm going to miss the underfloor heater in the 4/5 I've just bought, having retrofitted one to the Destiny and got used to its luxury. I'll be on the lookout for one to fit, but they are extremely rare these days.
ChrisP

Some Pictures.......

Post by ChrisP on Sun 16 Aug 2015, 11:33 pm

I collected it on a very wet Thursday evening. On Saturday I was able to set it up and see what I had bought. I also setup my 4/5, so that I could get all the stuff stored in it transferred over to the new one

Here are the pair side by side. I know the 4/5 is sagging on one side. It is the shock not the chassis. Been like that for the last two years with just enough space to get a hand in between the wheel arch and the tyre. The 4 with outboard wheels is actually wider than the 4/5 with inboard when you include the arches.

Next the two setup and with the awning on the 4.

Just the new one on its own

The interior is very tidy. I tested the cooker, but not the heater - needs a regulator on the hose. On ething that would have thrown me if the sellers had not mentioned it was the sliding section on the roof hoop. You can just see it to the right of the kitchen unit. It looks like an adjustment to get the hoop (it's the lower one when folded) into the smaller body. If it was a repair, why make it slide, so I think it is by design.

There were no mains electrics fitted, but I can transfer over my generic tent one from the other Dandy until I have time to fit something more permanent. It did have an unusual 12v distribution though. There were some 12v strip-lights that rather cleverly used the plastic clips plumbers user for copper pipes to clip to the roof poles.

One puzzle though was the extra pole with the awning. I thought it might be because the sofa side is lower, but the 'skirt' is the same height regardless and there were two 'skirt poles' already.....any Ideas, or is it just a stray pole?

Apart from that, the awning was surprisingly easy to put up. It took just 30 minutes for a first pitch (solo) and without looking at the instructions. It helped that all the pole springs and all bar one on the sprung balls were working, so the frame didn't fall apart while attempting to pull the awning material over. I don't think the small awnings merit the 'difficult' reputation they have. However the extended awning with an annex I had on my destiny was a complete swine, both due to weight and the fact most of the pole springs were broken. Given that one of the reasons for buying this 'new' Dandy was the awning, it is a good job we got on well on the first date!

All in all, I am very happy with it. I will transfer my Indespension Triplelock hitch over, to ensure I get to hang on to it! And probably my new wheels/tyres as well. It also looks like the clamp and jockey wheel shaft fitted to this 88 model is wider than the one originally fitted to my 85, so it will be easy to swap over my jockey wheel with a pneumatic tyre. It make a huge difference when you gave to pull the Dandy by hand over grass at the NT Langdale site.
ChrisP

Windy first trip...but the awning held up

Post by ChrisP on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 3:24 pm

Went to Rhyd Y Galen (near Bethel) in North Wales. The site has views towards Snowdon. Quite windy setting up which made things a bit trickier. I was really impressed with how the Dandy awning resisted the wind. None of the alternative awning I had for my 4/5 would have survived, which would have been a bit of a disaster, since we abandoned the interior kitchen in favour of a simple shelf and cooked in the awning. I found that with this arrangement, the 4 felt bigger inside than my 4/5 did even though it is smaller.

navver

Post by navver on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

That's a neat set up. I think it 's a good idea not having the kitchen inside. You do need space to put things down like a telly etc nowadays. The dandy kitchen is a bit basic and the fridge and microwave are real necessities now.

I have seen one where the original inside kitchen was fitted with removable legs (screw on) so could be used inside or out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:49 am