Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Steel sleeve on the draw tube under the coupling - original or an extra from my Triplelock?

ChrisP

Steel sleeve on the draw tube under the coupling - original or an extra from my Triplelock?

Post by ChrisP on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 6:07 pm

I am in the process of swapping my Indespension Triplelock from my old 4/5 to my new 4. When I took the Triplelock off there was a sleeve on the draw tube over the last 80mm where the coupling bolts on. It adds a couple of mm all round to the draw tube. This meant I could not get the old coupling back on, even with judicious persuading. In the end rain stopped play and I gave up. I had got the Triplelock off anyway and after all, it would be hard to steal the old 4/5 without a coupling!

Today, I took the coupling off my 4 to fit the Triplelock. No sleeve on this one and the Triplelock is has some play. If I tighten up the bolts, I may crack the cast iron coupling.

This set me thinking, did the sleeve originate with the Triplelock? Even though I fitted it to the 4/5 originally, I cannot remember that particular detail. It would kind of explain why the original hit won't go back on the 4/5 if the sleeve is not original.

Before I drive across town and try and get the sleeve off the 4/5 stored at my dad's, I thought I would ask if anyone has noticed (and remembered) if the sleeve was present on their Dandy when they removed the coupling for whatever reason.......

I can't add a picture of the sleeve as the Dandy that is conveniently here with me is the one without....

FWIW the 4/5 is an 1985 hitch and the 4 is slightly newer with an 1988 - there are differences in the whole hitch assembly as the jockey wheel shaft on the newer one is thicker.

navver

Re: Steel sleeve on the draw tube under the coupling - original or an extra from my Triplelock?

Post by navver on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 6:39 pm

My 2005 designer doesn't have a sleeve. The hitch just bolts straight on and the tube is the same diameter all along its length.

Wonder if the tube diameter on a dandy is too small for the smallest triple lock and a sleeve has been fitted to pad it out. My hitch head is an Alko 60/S rated for 450 to 750kg. The triple lock is probably rated for 1300kg.
ChrisP

Re: Steel sleeve on the draw tube under the coupling - original or an extra from my Triplelock?

Post by ChrisP on Fri 21 Aug 2015, 8:14 pm

The embarrassing thing is.... I fitted it to the 4/5, but can't remember if the sleeve was there the first time round or whether it came with the Triple Lock....and doubly embarrassing that I failed to take any pictures of the change over to remind me when the inevitable happened and I forgot.

KB

Post by KB on Sat 22 Aug 2015, 5:47 am

Hi, not sure if this will be of any help to you but noticed AL-KO do an adapter kit for use when fitting their AKS stabiliser to other trailers. One of the sleeves in the kit may solve your problem so perhaps a few questions of the seller may establish whether or not any of the sleeves are suitable.The E-Bay link is :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ChrisP

Solved It!

Post by ChrisP on Sun 23 Aug 2015, 11:12 am

The sleeve was part of the Triplelock kit. It came off the old Dandy easily with a gentle tap. Once off, the old hitch went back on without any trouble. back with the new Dandy and the sleeve in place there, the Triplelock fits perfectly. Seems pretty obvious really with hindsight

Sleeve on
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sleeve removed

Triplelock fitted

I just tucked the old bellows inside the new since the draw tube end is too narrow for the new and the hitch too wide for the old. The ribbing from the bellows seems to hold the two together.

Last edited by ChrisP on Sat 05 Sep 2015, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change to to too)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 9:40 am