Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Help, roof inflating like a marshmallow in wind.

Pixel8it

Help, roof inflating like a marshmallow in wind.

Post by Pixel8it on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 2:02 pm

Hello, I'm new to Dandy ownership and have just come home from 2 days in 20mph+ constant winds. The Dandy held up great & the awning too. Packing up was great until we came to folding up the roof which was full of air and billowing. It's like a huge marshmallow & too inflated to fold & get the cover on, it's like packing an inflated bouncy castle!! Just managed to get front bungees on & drive home slowly. Very fed up, what usually take 10 mins took over a hour & still couldn't get air out. Don't know how it got in as watertight so thought airtight. Checked but can't see any tears or rips it can get in, only the white section has inflated.
Is this because the wind has been forced into tiny rips in the fabric somewhere? Has it happene to anyone else? Is there anyway to stop it happening? Any ideas advice or tips appreciated as husband has given up on it now as nearly broke his back trying to pack it!!

Last edited by Pixel8it on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

navver

Re: Help, roof inflating like a marshmallow in wind.

Post by navver on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm

Sorry to hear of your problem, but I've never heard of this before. Are you saying air has got in between the inner and outer layers of the roof. It is in layers as the roof is PVC impregnated each side of some insulation and this is only in the white section. The coloured section is single skin.

My guess is as yours, that there must be some holes for it to get into. You will need to find the holes and seal them but will need to force the air out first. Will be a lot easier to examine when the wind has dropped.

It's possible moisture can get in to the insulation as well.

We normally point the fixed roof end into the wind when erecting and folding. It's better pointed into the wind all the time if it is windy You can raise the legs and move it around even when it is erected.

20+ winds are quite high and not usual.

Pixel8it

Post by Pixel8it on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm

navver wrote:Sorry to hear of your problem, but I've never heard of this before. Are you saying air has got in between the inner and outer layers of the roof. It is in layers as the roof is PVC impregnated each side of some insulation and this is only in the white section. The coloured section is single skin.

My guess is as yours, that there must be some holes for it to get into. You will need to find the holes and seal them but will need to force the air out first. Will be a lot easier to examine when the wind has dropped.

It's possible moisture can get in to the insulation as well.

We normally point the fixed roof end into the wind when erecting and folding. It's better pointed into the wind all the time if it is windy  You can raise the legs and move it around even when it is erected.

20+ winds are quite high and not usual.

Hi Navver, thank you for your reply Smile
It was very very windy. After an few hours it started deflating & parked in a less windy spot we got the roof out so we could have a better look than the frantic one this morning! Found a 10mm slit in the inner lining which was at the front so the air must have forced in through there and blown it up!! Doesn't look like any moisture in there, but how will I know?? I'm worried it'll go mouldy! It was inside so hoping will be ok. Stupid wind was coming from all directions!! Was in Newgale in West Wales, the clue is in the name!! Going to follow advice about fixed end into wind, was a little worried it would tip it! Going to got some fixing tape stuff & hopefully will be ok. Although still worried about moisture in it :/

navver

Post by navver on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 10:10 pm

If the slit is in the inner skin there should be no moisture in the insulation so that's good news.

Riva Dandy do a patch kit Give Ian a ring there to get one. He should be able to let you have the correct glue as well. Alternatively you an use tenacious tape.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pixel8it

Post by Pixel8it on Fri 28 Aug 2015, 11:44 pm

Thank you, going to give them a ring in the morning and have ordered some tenacious tape also! It will be fixed in time for a trip to Forest of Dean next week! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:17 am