Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

No more Dandying

Helen
Dandy Owner

No more Dandying

Post by Helen on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 10:20 am

Well I'm sad to say our Dandy has gone to a new home Sad this time last year John was critically ill with Legionnaires. We did get out last year for a holiday but the legionnaires has caused life altering problems so after a year of deliberating and not much improvement healthwise we have had to let her go. She has gone to a good home and for our full asking price, she took all of 20 minutes from being advertised to being sold Smile

navver

Re: No more Dandying

Post by navver on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm

That's sad news Helen. I hope he makes a reasonable recovery. Did they manage to find the source.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 9:25 pm

No they didn't Navver, but we are convinced it came from the foundry where he was working but checks didn't find it and as no one else came down with it we'll probably never know.  John's now on lifelong medication and has to be monitored regularly. We went out in the Dandy last year and although we enjoyed relaxing it proved to be too difficult to erect and pack away on our own so decided last week as things aren't much better we'd have to give it up.
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 8:40 pm

I'm sorry to hear about John,I hope with exception of this you're both well.
I've been considering buying a Dandy but I'm not sure I want to set it up by myself .

KB

Re. No More Dandying

Post by KB on Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:06 am

Dear Helen & John,

It was sad to learn of John's illness and the impact that had upon your lives; I do hope he makes a full recovery.

I bought a Dandy following extensive research which included reading many of your informative and helpful posts on this site.

Unfortunately, after a thoroughly enjoyable first weekend away the Dandy (a plain Designer with neither wall insulation nor underfloor heating) sustained some damage (the kitchen wall departed from its hinge) on packing up day due to very high winds and I have not had time to effect repairs myself.

Hopefully, all will be sorted soon as will modifications and (minor) repairs to the awning which came (unseen) with the Dandy.

Incidentally, I agree entirely with the general observation to the effect that original awnings are a complete pig to erect but during the mini-hurricane we encountered during our stay when the camp site owners had very helpfully tried to re-peg errant tents and other wayward awnings whilst owners were away, the albeit slightly defective Dandy PVC Pig (the stitching on the door zip had come away leaving an air gap) never shifted.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand, it will, I agree, be almost impossible to identify the source of infection which may have come from any contaminated water. Maybe also, and I emphasise it is not my intention to imply any harm in this remark, that at the time of his being infected, John was more prone than others due to some some susceptibility in his immune system. There are so many variables that it is almost impossible to trace a source unless more than one person was infected at the same time and the incidence of multiple infection provides a clue.

That is why Legionnaires' Disease is notifiable.

Have you seen this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The symptoms of Legionnaires' disease may not immediately be sufficiently remarkable to the person infected or those close to him or her to afford any clue as to the nature of the illness, so, unless there is contagion affecting a group simultaneously and where similarity becomes apparent, the condition could be mistaken.

However, diagnosis of Legionnaires is easily done by a simple test and should be readily identified by a professional on presentation.

The disease is notifiable simply to ensure that where possible, any source possessing potential for causing multiple infection is located and treated, without delay.

I hope those steps were followed in John's case.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

Once he was diagnosed the authorities were very prompt visiting the hospital the following morning and we can't fault them at all, seems inadequate to answer with just a couple of sentences after such a lengthy post. Two authorities were involved because the foundry comes under a different area. It would have been nice to know where he got infected but we're just happy he survived it.
rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 9:57 pm

Sorry you are having to give up, will you still be able to manage the caravan? Thanks for all your helpful posts on here.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 9:21 pm

We're back ...... just couldn't live without a Dandy so when ours came back up for sale as it wasn't quite big enough for the family who bought it ...... we couldn't resist. We'll be having gas struts fitted and already have an air porch from an air tent that I think I can make work which will make our lives easier. We collected our Dandy today and brought her back home Laughing

navver

Post by navver on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 10:30 am

That's good news Helen. I hope you can both manage it OK. The gas struts should help as will taking your time.

Sanjo

Brilliant

Post by Sanjo on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 11:42 am

How good is that Helen. So pleased you have not just returned, but have re-adopted your baby.

We had gas struts fitted a few years ago by Ian because I had an operation on my right shoulder and then followed that by fracturing my left wrist and had to have it plated.

We are now 75 and 68 and have been pleasantly surprised this year that we can still manage her. In fact this year we have camped more than ever before. The last couple of years healthwise has been a bit grim especially for my husband and last year my normally can't sit still, want to go somewhere husband couldn't be bothered.

The first camp this year he had a huge grin on his face because not only did we get the tent erected he reckoned we'd done it in record time, Apparently this was a "test" camp and he was fully prepared to say at the end of it "let's sell her-we can't put her up".

I hope your husband has made good progress and that you both enjoy your new lease of Dandy life
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 9:34 pm

That's wonderful news Helen.

Great that you're on the road again Very Happy
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 6:32 pm

Best bit of news I've read in a good while.

I do mean the second half of the story by the way.

You spent a lot of time and effort on your Dandy good to hear it's back with you. I imagine it pined for you just as much as you pined for it.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 7:05 pm

It hadn't been treated too well Kevin but we've managed to sort out most things I'm pleased to say x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 7:01 am