Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Packing away or erecting in high winds

Helen
Dandy Owner

Packing away or erecting in high winds

Post by Helen on Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

Packing away a while back and it was very windy and the awning was lifting before we took all the pegs out. We have had the suncanopy in the air before so I looped guy ropes over the bars on the inside of the awning and pegged them down before pulling the last few pegs from rubbers around the bottom of the awning. We then folded forward from back to front edge pulling the awning guy ropes as we went along. Might seem like a lot of messing about but once one of these things lifts you know about it and the damage that can happen to both Dandy and awning frame. This did happen with our suncanopy and we did get some bent poles as a result but it could have been a lot worse.

We have also discovered that if you do this in reverse it also works when erecting the awning.

When erecting your dandy in windy conditions face the end that the roof is fixed to into the wind as you can always reposition your dandy once its erected by simply lifting the legs turning it around and then dropping the legs again when you are in a suitable position, if you are packing away then do the same in reverse it doe's help.
Owd Lad

Erecting an awning in high winds

Post by Owd Lad on Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

This may be an idea that could only apply to people with zip out sides to their awning but we have found that, once the frame is erected, if we run an awning strap over the front end of the three main horizontal poles and secure the strap with the big screw in pegs that come with it,we can then continue adding canvas to the frame without fear of awning take off. once erection is complete it's easy to adjust the strap to the correct awning height and we find that it's unnecessary to use any further guy lines (strength of wind permitting). the same applies when collapsing the awning, in that the frame is under control, even if the canvas is still a handful.
Steve
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Packing away or erecting in high winds

Post by Helen on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 1:39 pm

Bump .... it could get windy over the next day or so according to the weatherman. Take care if your packing away after your Easter break
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 5:10 pm

Hopefully because our awning has zip out sides it will be a little bit easier. I'm planning on unzipping the front section leaving the ladder pegs in until its down, then doing the same for the two sides before finally unguying and then taking off the roof section if that makes sense. The weather is looking good apart from being a little windy so we can take our time with it.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm

We take the guys off like this with the suncanopy,

untie inside the Dandy first then we pull the pegs closest to the Dandy first(John on one side me on the other) then fold the roof over to the next and then pull that peg out and fold again until we take the last peg out ...... seems to work well for us. We manage to fold the roof on the frame like this as we go then take it off at the front lay on the ground tidy ropes up and fold in half then half again.

Did I mention I am paranoid about the wind lol!

I really am I think you'll probably remember how panicked I was putting up your last awning in the wind affraid affraid affraid so figure that by folding as we go there's less fabric for the wind to get under and lift Very Happy
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:17 pm

As it turned out, we didn't have any real problems taking the awning down mainly due I think to the zip out sides wouldn't like to have tackled it all in one piece. Olivia however was another matter it was a bit of a nightmare, I was hanging on to the roof for grim death whilst Nigel did all the actually 'taking down' but we managed it and Olivia is now safely back in her garage.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

I've read a tip about that too ..... a long time ago so can't remember exactly how it went but it had something to do with adding some type of rope and pegging the loose end of the roof down scratch

If anyone's found a way that helps with packing away in wind please share it with us ..... the wind can make things difficult and Dandy's can get damaged Sad

navver

Post by navver on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

As a pure guess, I would say turn dandy so left hand bed faces the wind.

Add ropes to the bungees that hold the roof under the bed and peg so that the rope and sloping roof line are a straight line all the way to the ground where the rope should be securely pegged. Make sure each bungee is roped & pegged to spread the load and avoid possible damage.

Have an assistant ready to stand on the roof and progressively walk towards the dandy as the roof goes slacker.

Then fold in the normal way keeping the roof taut.

This should leave the dandy folded with the roof attached to the dandy at one end and pegged at the other with someone stood on it. Unpeg and roll the roof along the ground in a sweries of folds, eventually lifting onto the dandy.

Instead of pegging you could tie the ropes to the car tow bar or towing eye and simply move the car slightly each time to keep the roof taut. I think I prefer someone standing on the roof though as this will hold it down and be quicker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm