Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

I WANT A DANDY BLUE COLOUR LIGHT WEIGHT

paulinek

I WANT A DANDY BLUE COLOUR LIGHT WEIGHT

Post by paulinek on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 12:47 am

I am new to folding campers and read a lot over last month and have decided i would like a dandy.

However i only have a small fiesta 1.2.

I nearly went to view a 6 berth weighing 7.5 kg and then read my cars V5 and said maximum weight i can tow is 500kg.

Therefore need advice am i better with the 4 berth at 500kg have not found one yet. are they really too small the 4 berth compared to the six berth.
I have my heart set on blue.

i cannot afford to trade in my 1,2 car to a bigger cas as only bought it a year ago and i will lose money by trading it in.

On top of the 500kg wieght i wanted to take 2 bicycles and then clothes quilts etc.

I am new to all of this

any helpful advice appreciated. I am on the lookout for my used dandy now.

Paulinek

navver

Re: I WANT A DANDY BLUE COLOUR LIGHT WEIGHT

Post by navver on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 7:58 pm

Is your cars towing limit for braked or unbraked trailers. All dandies are braked. The braked max tow may be higher.

All the rear entry dandies are 500kg maximum weight when loaded. This is true for the earlier brown and the light blue and whites and the latest

The latest dark blue and whites have a heavier unladen weight than the 1980s brown and the 1990s light blue and whites. We're not absolutely sure why but it may be because the beds were aluminium instead of steel and the woodwork was heavier. Or maybe the earlier weights were simply wrong as weights weren't so important years ago as cars had no towing limits. Every dandy was made specially for every buyer so each one may weigh a little different depending on options they asked for.

Unladen Weights were quote as:

Model           Dark Blue       Brown or light blue/white
Dart or 4          350kg           5cwt    or approx 255kg
Delta or 4/5          -              5.5cwt  or approx 280kg
Designer or 5    395kg           6cwt    or approx 306kg
Discovery or 5       -              6cwt    or approx 306kg

Of course you can load more on them than the 500kg they can carry but that's up to you and cannot be recommended.

So the earlier brown or light blue/white were lighter than the latest dark blues and will give you more user load

paulinek

tow weight for 1990s deandy destiny camper

Post by paulinek on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 10:26 pm

thanks for your reply it was a six berth dandy destiny i saw 1993 blue and white 6 berth and the guyselling it said was 750 kg and when i looked at conway counryman and fiesta folding campers they were all 750kg. i read the pale blue destiny 4 berth was 500 kg laden weight and threfore was worried the 4th berth may be to small compared to the 6 berth.

my v5 said maximum tow wight 500kg

Pauline

navver

Post by navver on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 10:08 pm

A lot depends on how many there are of you. The 4 berths will be fine for 2. Although the designer and discovery are the same size, I think the discovery has the most room. It gives 2 settees and the full length bench gives a lot more storage along with the extra kitchen unit.

The table is nice in the designer.

I'm still not sure on your V5 max tow. It should give braked trailer and unbraked trailer max tow weights. 500kg sounds low for a 1.2.

Mike on here used to tow a 6 with a 1.2 Punto although that has a max tow of probably 800kg or so.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm

Hello Pauline

I'd say it's pretty much universal we'd all love you to join us in enjoying a Dandy but that having being said we don't want you to buy the wrong Dandy for you, or even worse buy a Dandy for the wrong reasons.

I have been known for posting major tomes but I've not posted much for a while. I'm a bit stuck trying to reply to you to find suitable links relating to what I want to say.
Give me a couple of days to find the links.
As per navver I'm a bit suspect about your towing weight. Also viz a viz your second post there are no 500KG Destinys. Further we need words about the bicycle mounts. Give me a day or two to look up stuff.

paulinek

Post by paulinek on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 7:03 pm

I like the idea that you can put it away wet.
I like the fact that it is insulated and will be warmer than other tents.
I like the look of the blue dandy.
I like the fact its light to tow
I like the fact that you can go beginning and end of season as its cosy hate beingcold.
Its for me and my daughter and sometimes i will bring a pal or my partner so basically 2 adults and a kid.

thank for your information really helpful

still dont know which tow to get single or double electrics can you help me with that.

Pauline

navver

Post by navver on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm

All the dandies have 2 double beds and will sit 3 on the settee. The designer and discovery have a single bed as well.

An awning can be fitted which will give more room.

In my designer I was able to store all the camping related items inside the dandy with awning on top. This was porta potti, water and waste containers, step, electric hookup lead, TV, cushions, sleeping bags and pillows, electric fire, cooking pots and pans, crockery cutlery etc.

We took a holdall each for clothing in the car which lived on the fixed bed by day. The bedding all went behind the settee when made up, the bedding for the fixed bed stayed on it.

We had a small chest fridge which fitted bedside the kitchen. This travelled in the car on 12 volt and ran on gas or mains electric on sitter. this stayed in place overnight as only a small part of the 2nd bed was lost.

The porta potti came in at night. It fitted by the door just to one side. I made up a curtain to separate it or you could use a toilet tent.

So I think you will have enough room in any of them although the designer and discovery have just that bit more. All are max load of 500kg so you should be able to tow it OK.

You certainly have the right reasons for a dandy and it wont disappoint on these. When you say blue dandy, do you mean the pale blue and white or the dark blue and white.

Your only problem as I see it is the weight of the extra kit you want to take like bikes etc, although bikes will travel very well on a roof rack on the car. This gives you the ability to drive to somewhere nice to ride them as well rather than only on the dandy.

You can get bike racks for dandies and some have made them.

The low towing limit may be due to the chassis construction rather than the engine power. What year and model is the fiesta.

paulinek

Post by paulinek on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 11:17 pm

thanks for all that advice very helpful. its a fiesta 2012 1.2 petrol.

do i get a tow fitted with single or double electric.

thanks

Pauline

navver

Post by navver on Sun 12 Jun 2016, 6:24 pm

On single or double electrics.

The black 7 pin plug called 12n works all the road lights on the trailer. That's side lights, stop lights, indicators, number plate light.

The grey 7 pin plug called 12s works battery charging, a fridge if fitted and can work the internal lights in the trailer.

Modern caravans have a 13pin plug fitted which works everything the old 2 plug system did.

Normally I would suggest getting a 13pin fitted as you may wish to change to a caravan in future. However with such a low towing limit that is probably impossible. I believe the new Pennine/Conway folding campers do now fit 13 pin plugs.

You can get convertors so you can plug in 12n and 12s plugs into a 3pin (13pin) car socket and vice versa.

As the small dandies do not have fridges fitted I would suggest you only have a 12n (black 7 pin) fitted)

However, if you wish to charge a battery or run the dandy internal lights a 12s (grey 7 pin) would be necessary as well.

The high sided and toilet destinies are the only ones with a fridge and they have internal lights on 12volt.

Older rear entry (dart, delta, designer etc) don't have a fridge. You would have to have a separate 3 way fridge or cool box.
They also do not have internal lights as standard except where they have an optional shelf over the kitchen. This has a light incorporated in the shelf.

People without will generally hang lights from the roof bars and these may be 12volt types or battery operated LED lanterns or Tilley lamps or gas lamps.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Sun 12 Jun 2016, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited by Tow Itch. Certain navver meant 13pin car socket)

paulinek

Post by paulinek on Sun 12 Jun 2016, 7:13 pm

thanks for all your information very helpful. i am going to try get tow fitted next week on my day off. from what i have just read my understanding is that i only need single electrics black 7 pin as getting old cheaper dandy which is likely to have no fridge looking at 1990s till 2000. so i assume they all have no fridge. just take a small one with me and i can plug it in when i get there. hope i am getting it lol.

pauline
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 10:30 pm

Hi Pauline,

I'm catching up after a few days away and had replied on your other thread before I saw that you'd had other useful advice here, with more details of the car you have.

So yes, you need single electrics black 7 pin. If your garage can fit a 13-pin socket instead at the same cost I'd recommend you get them to do so and buy one of the adapters from the ebay link I posted on your other thread. But if not, you'll be fine with the 7-pin one.

Don't worry about fridges etc. at this stage. Get looking for that Dandy and tell us what you see Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm