Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

tow bar - single or double electrics

paulinek

tow bar - single or double electrics

Post by paulinek on Fri 10 Jun 2016, 4:46 pm

Hi

Do i need to to get a tow bar for single electrics or double electrics for the dandy i have not bought yet.
The garage asked if i need a 7 pin or 12 pin not got a clue.

I decided to get the tow asap then start looking for a used dandy weighing 500kg.

Pauline
ChrisP

Re: tow bar - single or double electrics

Post by ChrisP on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 8:12 pm

It all depends on which Dandy. The Rear entry ones just have electrics for the towing lights (old type single). The side entry ones with a built in fridge also have the connections to power the fridge and charge a leisure battery. (old type double).

To be honest, when I had my car done, I got a new type 13 pin Euro connector and use an adapter to hook-up the Dandy.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 8:13 pm

Just noticed the 500Kg comment, which means rear entry and single. However, i would still get the new type and an adapter.
peridot
Dandy Admin

Post by peridot on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm

I'd echo ChrisP's advice regarding the 13-pin socket on your tow-bar. It's a much better made and more reliable connector compared with the older 7-pin standard.

Your Dandy when it finds you will most likely have a 7-pin plug. Ideally you should get someone to replace this with a 13-pin type but in the meantime you can use a simple adapter like this - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

While getting the 13-pin socket on the car is a good idea, you should check with your fitter the relative cost of having it fully wired up, or just wired for the seven basic lighting connections.

Some cars have all the necessary wiring brought to the rear and the 13-pin trailer kit will be just a few pounds more expensive than the 7-pin one. However as the automotive industry is obsessed with penny pinching many cars have the internal wiring omitted and the fitter would need to install wiring for the fridge and battery charging connections through to the battery location, which is a time consuming and costly exercise. There is no point in paying for this if you only need the lighting connections for the smaller Dandy.

navver

Post by navver on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 11:16 pm

The car has a max tow of 500kg. Not many trailers or caravans or trailer tents etc of that weight will need a fully wired socket. I wouldn't go to any expense on something which may be useful in the future if the car could tow a lot more because it can't.

I agree the 13 pin is a better bit of kit than 7 pin but would see what the cost difference is before deciding if its worth it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 5:50 pm