Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

12v socket wiring

Aeronk

12v socket wiring

Post by Aeronk on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 12:00 pm

We have just had our first outing in the Dandy and all went fine. One thing I have noticed is that the 12v sockets seem to be wired in a 'chain' one to the other. I have in the mean time bought a 12v distribution board that has 10 fused connections as I thought it best to separate all the sockets.

What is the advice, is it ok for them to be wired from one to the other or is it wise to separate them out as I am intending. I will be plugging in 12v lights and possibly a cooler box but probably not anything else. All other electrical items will go into the mains sockets.

Aeron

navver

Re: 12v socket wiring

Post by navver on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:20 pm

Several 12 volt sockets can be daisy chained on one circuit (one fuse). We call it a radial circuit. The limitations are the power consumed by all equipment plugged in and in use and any voltage drop in excessively long circuits.

This is what household ring circuits do, however with 230volt circuits much more power and much longer circuits can be used. With 12 volt, the current is 20 times as high and the voltage drop is consequently also 20 times higher but as a percentage of 12 volts is subject to a much tighter restriction than 230 volts.

Consequently, 12 volt circuits can supply much less power and must have much shorter circuits.

When designing circuits, we have to assess how much power will be used by all the devices plugged in. A domestic 32Amp 230 volt ring main can supply 8000 watts. A 10 Amp radial 12 volt circuit can supply 120 watts so you can see the limitation. A domestic ring can supply an area of 100 square metres as long as there aren't too many heavy using kitchen appliances. On the same basis the 12volt circuit could supply 1.5 sq metres, not even one dandy designer.

As you have already got the fuse board I would use it.

Aeronk

Post by Aeronk on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:32 pm

Thanks Navver, see my other post regarding replacing the transformer, fuse board now installed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 7:22 pm