Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Gluing pvc

mike
Dandy Owner

Gluing pvc

Post by mike on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

This topic always seams to get varied answers i was surfing around the net and found this,i know nothing about it but emailed a question about bonding pvc and got the following answer

Dear Mike,

HH-66 is an excellent product for bonding vinyl fabrics, in fact most fabrics, but especially good with vinyls. It would be a superb product for doing your repairs. I really believe that there is no better product available.

I have been using HH-66 for repairing Marquee fabrics (which are identical to lorry side curtains) for over 10 years as I have never found a product that even comes close to being as good. This year we started importing HH-66 from the manufacturer in the USA ourselves as it’s virtually impossible to source in the UK. However we have to take a bulk shipment which is more than we require so I decided to sell it online to recoup some costs.

With regard to HH-66, there is no preparation needed at all. It bonds fabrics in the same way as heat sealing. It is a contact adhesive and needs to be applied to both surfaces. If you apply it to one surface first and then let it go off, then apply to the other surface and bond, the seal is virtually permanent.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dont know what is meant by the last two words
Helen
Dandy Owner

Re: Gluing pvc

Post by Helen on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

Anyone else have any idea's on repairing pvc.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

Chatting to the guy that does my pvc work he never uses adhesives now only stitching or heat but his advice if you where using a contact adhesive was to sand the area on both pieces then apply the contact adhesive a very thin application let both pieces dry completely then re apply as per recommended by the manufactures,his reasoning was you have given the first application a better chance of sticking to the pvc and the adhesive will then be sticking to itself.
Will try this when i renew some velcro.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

Sticky velcro is a pain, some stuff sticks great and other stuff comes off, think I will try something like this next time.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

We use contact adhesive for sticking on PVC skirtings in the flooring trade. It is used the same way you describe Mike, don't know if its the same stuff.

F Ball Stycobond F60.

To put our velcro on we used impact tape Helen. Its similar stuff to above but on a roll.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

I have been trying to stick some velcro on the pvc of the Dandy to give the awning a better fit around the bed area but it always comes away when we unstick the velcro and ends up with both hook and loop stuck together on the awning bit:roll:
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

Helen wrote:Sticky velcro is a pain, some stuff sticks great and other stuff comes off, think I will try something like this next time.

The HH-66 is specifically vinyl adhesive. Velcro is an evo stick job or one of the options outlined by Phoenix.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 5:29 am

ahhh, I've just realised why there is a huge tube of evostick contact adhesive in the drawer of the Dandy. If the last owner used it on the velcro, it hasn't done a brill job to say the least.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 9:13 am

Have to admit I went for the cheap option on some stick on velcro and bought it off ebay, that was to put at the bottom of the door for a small skirt. I then went and bought some from the camping shops (rather expensive) but it did stay on.

The problem I have had and my daughter was getting it to stick to the pvc and not the solid part of the trailer

We seem to have got a little off topic but still in the sticking to pvc area lol!

We have used tenacious tape for small reapirs to our old trailer cover and it worked okay for a few years.

hannah3dog

PVC adhesive

Post by hannah3dog on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 9:05 pm

Google "stormsure flexible sealant" Its excellent stuff. I bought it from Ravenspring Ltd for a drysuit.There are youtube videos showing it being used on neoprene
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 8:47 am

Thanks Hanna,

Link to Stormsure flexible repair

John

Post by John on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:41 pm

Used similar product to hh 66 ,superb product closest to heat bonding you can find , recomend to all dandy owners

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:32 am

I have repaired this tear with tenacious tape at the moment.
But a lady who repairs awnings locally, suggested sticking a patch over the tear both sides and she will sew round the patch.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:35 am

I think I'd go for gluing a patch over rather than sewing, I remember someone saying they had a problem with water seepage through the stitching holes when done on pvc.

If I remember correctly it was Mike with his old delta awning
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

Helen wrote:I think I'd go for gluing a patch over rather than sewing, I remember someone saying they had a problem with water seepage through the stitching holes when done on pvc.

If I remember correctly it was Mike with his old delta awning

I didnt get it wet enough times before selling it but the guy that did the sewing said it would stop leaking after a couple of soakings.

mike

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:52 am

Hi Helen, The lady said that she would put something over the stitching to seal the holes, but if this hh66 is as good as the website says you would not need to stitch around the patch, any idea where you can get it from in the uk?
Will have to do a search on the the net. Pete
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

fearful wizard wrote:Hi Helen, The lady said that she would put something over the stitching to seal the holes, but if this hh66 is as good as the website says you would not need to stitch around the patch, any idea where you can get it from in the uk?
Will have to do a search on the the net. Pete

I didnt know the link in the first post was dead,if you find somewhere will you please add a new link.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:01 am

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:09 am

Thanks Mike i was just about to post that video myself.
You can use HH66 to seal stitching holes as well, another video on youtube.
I must get some.

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:24 am

HH 66 on ebay

HH-66-Vinyl-Adhesive-Glue-Cement-8-fl-oz-236ml-Vinyl-Wood-Metal-Plastic-Leather

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:31 am

Sorry link to ebay didnt work try this. Pete

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

Thanks Pete
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm

Dont want to sound like Jeremy Clarkson but with that adhesive you should be able to fit insulation and make a pvc porch awning HOW DIFFICULT CAN IT BE lol!

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Sun 17 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

Need to get a large tin then. lol. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 20 Oct 2017, 6:44 pm