Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Items wanted by members

Cazz

Re: Items wanted by members

Post by Cazz on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 8:22 pm

I'm on the scrounge Embarassed , I'm after a computer or lap top or netbook or tablet Rolling Eyes , or anything of any age that works for internet browsing only.

Ours has defunked, and unfortunately a new one wasn't on our shopping list, but then neither was a very poorly dog or car windscreen. affraid

If you hear or know of anything near Burton - on - Trent, Staffordshire, please give me a shout.
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm

I need a toilet tent, anyone know of any cheap ones?
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:58 pm

Cazz wrote:I'm on the scrounge Embarassed , I'm after a computer or lap top or netbook or tablet Rolling Eyes , or anything of any age that works for internet browsing only.

Ours has defunked, and unfortunately a new one wasn't on our shopping list, but then neither was a very poorly dog or car windscreen. affraid

If you hear or know of anything near Burton - on - Trent, Staffordshire, please give me a shout.

I have an old laptop let me get it checked out and I will post it may take a couple of weeks if that's ok
jake001

Post by jake001 on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 10:16 am

ShaunJUK wrote:I need a toilet tent, anyone know of any cheap ones?

I got this one, it seems ok at the price, and slightly larger than some cheaper ones

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 10:41 am

Caz with one Z and numbers, you are amazing. It's a shame we don't live closer together, but there again you probably wouldn't want to be near me. lol!
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 11:46 am

Cazz wrote:Caz with one Z and numbers, you are amazing. It's a shame we don't live closer together, but there again you probably wouldn't want to be near me. lol!

think its the other way round as my neighbours both sides are away and all on my own

PJ

Tow cover

Post by PJ on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

Can anyone recommend a good tow cover please? I have been looking around but they seem to be suitable for caravans, but they look like big flappy bags!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm

Hi PJ, we just took a piece of an old tarp and we use that with bungee's wrapped around it and although not the perfect solution it's a lot more secure than half of the ones on caravans  Smile You could also try using a waterproof bag ..... the small sack type that kids use for gym kit.

This type of thing with a quick coating of fabsil may work out okay

juliegeorge13

Pale blue skirt for Dart.

Post by juliegeorge13 on Mon 26 May 2014, 8:25 pm

Hi,
We are looking for a side skirt for our Dandy Dart in pale blue as she is one of the last in pale blue 2003. Anyone selling one please contact us. Many thanks. Jools Laughing 
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 27 May 2014, 1:01 am

juliegeorge13 wrote:Hi,
We are looking for a side skirt for our Dandy Dart in pale blue as she is one of the last in pale blue 2003. Anyone selling one please contact us. Many thanks. Jools Laughing 

It's not just buying a skirt. The original skirt design has flaps on the bat wings, the start and the end of the roof. these flaps hold the press studs to attach the skirts to the Dandy, also because these flaps overlap the skirt they cause rain running off the Dandy to run over the outside of the skirts not drip inside.
The flaps are I think both heat sealed and stitched to the relevant parts of the Dandy. Not a 5 minute job. Ian will fit new skirts but it's not cheap. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You might try someone who repairs curtainside vehicles or works in sheet PVC. Beyond that if you can think of a suitable arrangement yourself several companies sell  PVC fabric.

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 4:46 pm

Hi I'm looking for a dandy destiny 6 cooker sink and maybe unit.. I do have one already but it has no built in cooker it's just a metal sheet on that side. It looks like it was replaced at some point as the unit is different to the others. Also I have no cupboard over the wheel arch next to door. If anyone is replacing any of these things could you let me no please. Thanks

Ps any ideas of doing any of this myself would also be helpful Wink
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:22 pm

Ellaxx wrote:Hi I'm looking for a dandy destiny 6 cooker sink and maybe unit.. I do have one already but it has no built in cooker it's just a metal sheet on that side. It looks like it was replaced at some point as the unit is different to the others. Also I have no cupboard over the wheel arch next to door. If anyone is replacing any of these things could you let me no please. Thanks

Ps any ideas of doing any of this myself would also be helpful Wink

First of all confirming that you have the 6 type Lowside Destiny? The Highside Destiny is a different kettle of fish.

Second some photos would help us understand what you do and don't have. You have been a member long enough to post photos. see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Correction first should have been welcome and congratulations on your first post.

Third. I'n not asking for your address but a rough idea of where you are would help anyone with something as it will be bulky and not easy to post.

Help on doing this yourself. Phoenix made up a cooker unit unit for his 6 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The middle and bottom units are relatively simple but you would need to see photographs to understand their construction if you have not seen them before.

You will occasionally see Dandy kitchens for sale on eBay and I stand to be corrected but I think the cooker units are all the same dimensions bar the Highside Destinys it's only the lower units that change width to fit into Darts. I think the lower units may be the same size on 6s and Designers but would need someone to measure that.

If you decide to follow Phoenixs lead there are plenty of caravan, camper or motorhome sink units for sale on eBay.
The original units fitted were Spinflo units like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Be aware if you have any waste holes in your Destiny the units are handed. It is cooker sink drainer. I am told that the cooker can be removed and turned round to give an opposite handed unit. That would work with this unit but not on any unit that was pre drilled to accept a tap.
N.B. Many ex Dandy units from Deltas are opposite handed why????
I can't see any Spinflo units for sale on eBay at the moment (unusual) but there are always plenty of suitable units. Phoenix's unit isn't a Spinflo.
If you are especially safety conscious you might see the odd unit with flame failure devices (thermocouple) that stop or prevent the flow of gas if there is no flame.
Variety on eBay at moment. If you click on a cheap one more cheap ones appear beneath. Are some in different sections? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you are thinking of buying a hob/sink unit we need someone to post the dimensions to make sure you don't buy an odd sized unit.

Once you know the size you might check for people scrapping Pennine or Conway folding campers. Though of different design these may well provide suitable units and because they are canvas more are scraped off. If you are particularly fond of cooking or would like an oven some of the larger units had full ovens.

Any more questions do ask.

Not just tech photos of what bits of kitchen you have but generally "We love photos here"

What caused you to buy a Dandy was it by accident did you get sick of wet tents or campers or did you think "That's a good idea"?

Especially if yours is a 6 rather than a Lowside Destiny do look up Caz Numbers 6 with 1970's wallpaper and other decorations. Blast I can't find this at the moment and i'm sure it would make you smile if you have a brown one.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Mon 29 Sep 2014, 10:13 pm

Hello and Ellaxx

Mr Itch has put the link on to our kitchen build.
Just looked at some photos of ours and zoomed in, it has "Fellows" on the front. We are not sure but it may have come out of a conway we think, it was a fleabay bargain. Below is a description taken off an old listing we have found and from memory the sizes sound about right. If making your own cabinet to house one don't make it too tall as it sits on the floor when packed away so must not be to high as to foul the collapsed side walls.

A FELLOWS 2 RING HOB AND GRILL STAINLESS STEEL SINK DRAINER
COMES IN THE ORIGINAL HOUSING
MEASURES 41  INCHES WIDE
16  INCHES FRONT TO BACK

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 7:35 am

Hello thank you for the lovely welcome. This is my dandy destiny 6 low side 1987.

This is the first time I have uploaded so sorry if it's not worked. I will try it again if it hasn't. Once I've figured the pic out I will get back on to the subject of my sink cooker Smile
url=http://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=6&u=19012851

Ok that's not worked either help please lol

Well I've tried everything and it just won't upload Sad never mind. I'm on a ipad if that makes much difference 

It is light brown with a white roof and red door, bit of a bummer with the photos cus really need to show you my unit, I have been thinking and maybe I could get away with taking the metal plate off and installing just a cooker grill.The unit itself is not broken or anything just looks a bit different, thanks for all the links and although I have searched ebay you seem to have found more then I did, 

Here are my measurements 114cm x 38cm from top to bottom is 31cm and the metal plate is 60cm

I live in leicestershire.

Hope that helps 

Ps great job on the cooker unit Smile
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:36 pm

We have not tried putting pictures on from an I Pad so don't know if that is why you are having problems.

Mike put instructions on how to do it here is a link to them.

Ellaxx wrote:Ps great job on the cooker unit  Smile

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:45 pm

Ella if you upload to the fb group I can post your pictures on here for you x

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:50 pm

Phoenix wrote:We have not tried putting pictures on from an I Pad so don't know if that is why you are having problems.

Mike put instructions on how to do it here is a link to them.

Ellaxx wrote:Ps great job on the cooker unit  Smile

I've tried everything on the link but it doesn't seem to work, maybe it is because I'm on the ipad Smile

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:51 pm

Helen wrote:Ella if you upload to the fb group I can post your pictures on here for you x

Ok Helen thanks
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 5:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

your welcome Ella x

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:49 pm

Helen wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

your welcome Ella x

Thanks to Helen she has uploaded my photo for me.

navver

Post by navver on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:21 pm

Yes and that's not a dandy sink either.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:53 pm

Sorry Navver but that looks a lot like the sink in Phoenix.
Someone has made that cabinet up and put a piece of stainless the opposite side to stand the cooker on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:44 am

Oh that is absolutely lovely!
The middle section is definitely original. I'm tempted to say that the top isn't or doesn't match a 1980s Dandy but we all know better than that there are all sorts of one offs. There are various 60's and 70's sink or sink and cooker options this looks like one of those but of heavier construction. It is of it's time though it looks right unless there is some problem with the tap arrangement at the end. Are they just stray wires or has something been tied on?  
Personally I'd not mess with that at all and I'd venture to say that even Mr Phoenix who is both industrious and capable might well not have replaced that with a combined unit. You have a great food prep area admittedly with no raised lip to back or sides.
What you do depends greatly on you and what you want.
I'd probably just buy a gas double burner and grill. This can be placed on top of the stainless steel area at your pleasure and taken out to the awning or even outside for a spot of al fresco cooking if so desired. A folding aluminium splashback could be formed or an aluminium faced wood one might be easier to construct.

Then again what you do depends on you but.....
I'd definitely go large cylinder gas options if you have an underfloor heater. You may spot it if you look at other threads but I'm a big floor heater fan.
Suitable cookers are many fold  unfortunately for double burner and grill set ups the grills are variable. The ones on the Spinflo units are great you get toast not just hard bread others are variable but great choice exists [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also have a Sunncamp camping stove of this type [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the grill on this is good but it's not as easy to use as the Spinflo units as they have knobs that go OFF ONN to SIMMER the Sunncamp controls are just from off to full so it's not as easy to simmer.

Even if you just want a couple of rings I'm not fond of the square single burners. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yes for a disposable system the gas is cheap but I've heard of too many accidents. Admittedly some where because users had put a plate on upside down but still too many bad accidents.

You might see some tilley double burners or double burners with a grill [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Bugger when I looked earlier I saw 5 or more. I had a double burner one years ago. Perfectly of the period and the fastest boiling stove I ever had and I'm sure the grill is brilliant the problem is they are high pressure unregulated gas and you are limited to what the gas connection is on the end as they are swaged on. Oh that and high pressure gas stoves with hose connectors were banned from sale years ago. N.B. I'm aware there are new HP stoves with hose connectors covered with aeroquip type hose that is now legal.

You could even go to petrol stoves if you just wanted a twin burner [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The unit at the moment might be a bit high for a full stove but do you have the wardrobe above the opposite unit If not [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have fun with your choices. Please can someone find the Caz Numbers shots of the inside of her 6 I'm sure you'ld love these.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 12:46 am

Didn't see but a brighter comment on the provenance of the unit by Phoenix.

Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:55 am

Tow Itch wrote:Didn't see but a brighter comment on the provenance of the unit by Phoenix.

Hi Thanks for that, I think I may keep what I have unless a whole unit pops up one day Smile.....

The wires at the side are for a battery, At the side of the cupboard is 3 12v sockets.

The tap folds down at the side and has a electric pump, not sure if any of it works yet as I have no battery.

I do have a cooker that sits on top it was given to me when I brought it.

There is no cupboard over the other side maybe this got damaged and was thrown away, I don't no but I think I will make something for over the wheel arch.
There is no underfloor heating either,this one is very basic to be honest but I do have a double bunk bed which I don't think many have if anyone Smile

Also to answer the question of how a dandy come about. Originally I was looking for a trailer tent, as I had one about 6/7 years ago,so thought I would see what was about on ebay ect..then I came across folding campers love them but at the price of some of them and knowing I would have to dry them out each time made me not want to pay a lot for one and let's be honest weather in England isn't always great and 9 times out of 10 it's going to be damp or wet. But once I saw the dandy which was just browsing one of the sites I fell in love lol, I was hooked on getting one but budget ment I had to look for a older one, at the time I was looking and the lowest priced ones were about £1000. Apart from the odd mega cheap one that pop on ebay for 10 seconds before someone snapped it up.
I got mine off someone on the fb dandy group and paid £450 for it so I think I got a bargain
They are fantastic!
If you would like to see what I have done so far I have a album on the dandy fb group

Unfortunately we can't go away in it this year as we have no towbar, but can't wait for next year and would be lovely to go on a dandy meet to see everyone else's dandy,(do you need to be in the dandy club to go on meets?
Thank you for getting back to me all, I'm sure I will have many more questions for you Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 23 Jul 2017, 9:33 pm