Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

raising ride height

vessey44
vessey44

Re: raising ride height

Post by vessey44 on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

Nick,We'll have to raise the ride height of my Dandy now & ill need your measurments etc. for mini wheels
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

no worries mate will sort it out
vessey44
vessey44

Post by vessey44 on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Im already searching for mini wheels Laughing
naedoot
naedoot

Post by naedoot on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

worth a look ?

would the 5 x 12" wheels fit as a direct replacement to the 12" thats on an old 6 ?
vessey44
vessey44

Post by vessey44 on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

Naedoot many thanks Very Happy

Im already thinking of going VW Scene with the Dandy...Banded steel wheels & sticker bombed Laughing

Not really im going to try and make it as it left the factory or as close as
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

matt this is our dandy now with its new wheels which we got powdercoated white

jethro
jethro

Post by jethro on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

Hi, long time reader, first post.

We have a 1993 Discovery, of which I intend to raise the ride height.

I have purchased a pair of new 750kg suspension units, 4 x mounting plates and a 2" square box section.

The mounting plates and suspension unit holes have 1/2" holes whereas the original mounts have 3/8" holes.

Not sure at the moment whether to cut out the original mounting plate that is welded to the cross beam, or purchase a matching plate to save a lot of bother.

Will keep this thread updated when my conversion to 750's are complete.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:14 pm

It seems the more popular option to weld 2 mounting plates to box section then bolt to exist mounts.

I considered increasing our dandy ride height as hitch is barely 350mm which is 50mm short of what Riva claimed for the late Designers.
However after swapping wheels for 12inch over 10inch and replacing my car the trailer tows almost level,so i wont be altering the ride height now.

Good luck with your new suspension
dave42w

Post by dave42w on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:37 pm

jethro wrote:Hi, long time reader, first post.

We had a similar need with our Designer. After a lot of thought and with little free time we decided in the end to take it to DandyRivaSales and they replaced the suspension units with 750kg ones. They used the box section between two mounting plates technique to raise the height and it now tows level.

We had them fit gas struts to the beds at the same time.

Now ready for our holiday at the end of the month :-)
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Error in maths

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:02 am

jethro wrote:Hi, long time reader, first post.

I have purchased a pair of new 750kg suspension units, 4 x mounting plates and a 2" square box section.

The mounting plates and suspension unit holes have 1/2" holes whereas the original mounts have 3/8" holes.

Not sure at the moment whether to cut out the original mounting plate that is welded to the cross beam, or purchase a matching plate to save a lot of bother.

Will keep this thread updated when my conversion to 750's are complete.

Is the cross beam all ready pre welded with the mounting plates already offset to allow the slight move forward required to allow for the fact that the 750Kg unit places the hub centre slightly further back than the 500Kg unit or is it just meant to raise one 750Kg unit in replacemeant for another?
see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Though my version of the maths is that in example 1 the axle is behind the pivot by 76.2mm2 / 2 square root of =53.88mm
As against example 2 of 101.6mm at 300 so as a 3,4,5 triangle the horizontal displacement will be 81.2mm
I see the difference as 27.32mm. Much closer to 1 inch than the almost 2" of 50mm.
John has stuff posted about uprating a Delta's suspension. Or at least the process of raising suspension. That may prove worthwhile. If you can't find it give us a shout.

Error. 300 doesn't form a 3,4,5 triangle triangle that is 36.90 101.6mm X Cos 30 = 87.99mm or 89mm displacement is then 35mm  Of course the positions change again when fully loaded to 100 for the 750Kg suspension and 130 for the 500Kg unit 

Last edited by Tow Itch on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
jethro
jethro

Post by jethro on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:09 am

Thanks for the link Tow Itch. I'm replacing the original 500kg units with new 750kg Indespension units.

It looks like the best way forward would be to fit a 500kg plate to the top of the box section, and off set this back from centre to say 14mm. Then fit the 750kg plate to the bottom of the box section off set forward by 14mm. Thus moving the wheel hub centre forward by 28mm.

I recently weighed my Discovery on a weigh bridge. It registered 480kg, this was minus the leisure battery and an additional gas bottle, but included the awning, poles and one gas bottle. So with the new units should be less loaded to the limit. Just hope it doesn't shake it's self to bits with the harder suspension ride. I will be fitting nyloc nuts and spring washers to all plates, to help prevent this.

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

Ian (Riva Leisure) was asked about upping to 750Kg suspension. He has no problems with that. The original comments on this are on here somewhere.
Go to memberlist and check through John's posts. I don't know if I'm confusing things but there are photos illustrating possible reinforcing links to the A frame. Well worth looking at.
You have already bought the 750Kg units? I was just ruminating that as you will increase the wheelarch spacing courtesy of the new crossbeam you might be looking at other options.
If you just want to be able to carry slightly over 500Kg you will have no problems and will have increased the ride height suitably to avoid any problems with the Riviera heater touching down. Yet if you want to up carrying capacity significantly the constraint will be the tyres. Mike's strangely on 10" wheels on his 6 and constantly talks about the need for reinforced tyres (6 or 8 ply) to carry the weight of 750Kg. You may choose to up to 12" wheels as it's easier to get these with a suitable load rating. So if I were considering changing my wheels I might look at something different to 4" PCD as it might make wheel buying easier and cheaper.

Oh and welcome Jethro, a virgin no longer.
dave42w

Post by dave42w on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Ian (Riva Leisure) was asked about upping to 750Kg suspension. He has no problems with that.

I was quite keen on changing to a different PCD bolt pattern and larger wheels at the same time as upgrading to 750kg but Dandy/Riva were not willing to do that for me. So I settled with the same wheels and bolt pattern on the 750kg units.

I think indespension sell the 750kg units with either the 500kg bolt pattern or with the 1000kg bolt pattern. Personally I think there is plenty of space in the wheel arch for larger wheels. However, we went with what was easiest for us in actually getting the work done.

We have also upgraded the hitch to the Al-Ko with stabiliser built in to avoid any issues as we will be adding some weight in the future.

Even with the Dandy completely empty it towed back from Wigan beautifully.
John
John

Suspension

Post by John on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm

The wheels move back 29mm
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:55 pm

dave42w wrote:
Tow Itch wrote: Ian (Riva Leisure) was asked about upping to 750Kg suspension. He has no problems with that.

I was quite keen on changing to a different PCD bolt pattern and larger wheels at the same time as upgrading to 750kg but Dandy/Riva were not willing to do that for me. So I settled with the same wheels and bolt pattern on the 750kg units.

I think indespension sell the 750kg units with either the 500kg bolt pattern or with the 1000kg bolt pattern. Personally I think there is plenty of space in the wheel arch for larger wheels. However, we went with what was easiest for us in actually getting the work done.

We have also upgraded the hitch to the Al-Ko with stabiliser built in to avoid any issues as we will be adding some weight in the future.

Even with the Dandy completely empty it towed back from Wigan beautifully.

I would expect Ian to want to use the components he has to hand.

There are not 500Kg and 1000Kg bolt patterns per se you can have a variety of stud diameters and PCD's Though some are more common than others.

Nothing wrong with fitting the AL-KO stabiliser but despite the fact that towing law is preoccupied with towing weights the factors relating to stability leave weight of trailer as a low factor.
The ratio of length from hitch to wheel to total length is what is important (why small Dandys are so stable)combined with mass centralisation about the axle. See: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Especially the bit marked Abstract which is a quote from Dr Darling.
Shock horror what the law wants to regulate and what stops you from having an accident are two different things. Next I might suggest speed isn't that important on affecting accident rates.

I see John as just said the actual movement is 29mm. I'm quite happy to be within 1.68mm from rough maths and someone else's measurements. At least it's confirmed to you your not looking at the 50mm quoted.
Don't be so coy John put the link in to your mods some good metalwork there. Bugger Oh it's OK I'll put the link in now I was trying to write two replies at once so didn't want to search out a link for this. Just accidentally deleted the other reply and it was a long one.
John, just searched everywhere on here and can't find the picture I want. Looked at the Yahoo site (good source of info Jethro) and found your pictures there.

Now John not to denigrate your work but it's not the picture I was looking for. I am looking for the picture of the suspension modification where the plate welded to the box section was extended and bolted to the A frame. I can't remember who did this mod I hope someone can find the relevant picture.
jethro
jethro

Post by jethro on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't intend carrying much more load than I currently do, so will stick with the 10 inch wheels and tyres, unless the unit looks odd after being raised.

I am hoping for a 3" ride height gain. Will post pictures when completed.
jethro
jethro

Post by jethro on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

New units fitted, and ride height has raised by around 3 and a half inches. Loads of room within the wheel arches.

I'm sticking with the ten inch wheels for now, as I'm probably going to struggle getting the awning to fit now the ride height has been raised. Hopefully just fit longer rubbers to the awning to get it to peg out. May even have to get TVS to fit extended mud walls if necessary.

Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 12 Aug 2012, 9:44 pm

jethro wrote:New units fitted, and ride height has raised by around 3 and a half inches. Loads of room within the wheel arches.

I'm sticking with the ten inch wheels for now, as I'm probably going to struggle getting the awning to fit now the ride height has been raised. Hopefully just fit longer rubbers to the awning to get it to peg out. May even have to get TVS to fit extended mud walls if necessary.

As suggested by Mike for general setting out. Peg out your rear (unit side) corners first. After you have zipped up, there will be enough give.

Just to re state someone (posting on the Yahoo site I think) did economy suspension by re using their hubs and brake units. 750Kg suspension for £80 something bought just the suspension and did a bit of work.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:15 pm

Thought I'd bump this because I found the photos I was looking for.

I found them on my own computer but know not who took them. So if they're yours I'm sorry I didn't ask for permission cracking job of work though.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No intent to evade or ignore copyright if you wish pictures will be removed. I'd prefer to know more about the suspension job though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Mar 2019, 10:05 am