Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Weekend 21st-23rd Oct Howgills

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Weekend 21st-23rd Oct Howgills

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm

Sorry quite rude of me but friends and I are off to the Howgills 21st-23rd Oct
We are camping at Low Greenside Campsite see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's not quite as full blown a weekend as the last one at Dent which might have been a bit difficult. Too many people who have known each other for years.
Yes I know Ravonstonedale is quite close to Dent, but we do go to other places.
There is some degree of EHU 2 or three units I think. we're only three outfits at this point and I'd not bother with EHU if someone was interested but is EHU dependent.
Can't remember what the cost is but it's cheap I'll post tomorrow.
Majorly male but house trained.
Not mentioned in the details but I seem to remember a chocolate maker within 1/2 a mile.
See I know how to appeal to someone else's female side!
Caz1960

Re: Weekend 21st-23rd Oct Howgills

Post by Caz1960 on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:19 am

Question Question Question Question EHU Question Question Question what's that mean??
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

Electric Hook Up Caz Very Happy
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm

Can't post what the costs are as the chappie who booked forgot.
I'm scared to phone "Rosie" the lady who runs it as I've spoke to her twice in the past and both proposed camping weekends went belly up.
It's in the region of £5 P.P.P.N.
I'm not expecting to overfill the site but all are welcome.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:27 am

The weekend in the Howgills has died a death.
Weather induced access problems have prevented a friend using his tin tent.
So now were off to Aston, nr Wrenbury and the previously mentioned Cotton Arms.
It's a free camp (no facilities)
However I fear any savings on the camping will be more than expended in the pub.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like a cracking place.
Do feel free to join.

Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:27 pm

Have a lovely time Kevin
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:52 pm

hi kevin,
hope you had a good weekend
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 4:20 am

did you have a good time?
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:17 pm

Hello All

Things changed somewhat.
It got to Friday instead of Thursday.
Friend arrived at The Bhurtpore Inn only to find that the owner was going out with notices that the field was closed as they would be shooting the rabbits that had taken over the field.
The friend did wonder if the notices had appeared because he turned up first. A 20+ year old caravan towed by a flatbed Transit does look a little suspect.
So it was on to The Cotton Arms.
Such an unexpectedly mild weekend. I only noticed that while Wrenbury is just over 50 miles away most of the trees still have leaves that are green, locally they have not only browned but fallen.
Right on the edge of phone reception and a fitful Dongle performance allowed me to read this forum but not attempt to post.
There was wifi at the pub but that like many BT hubs was steam driven.
Having forgotten about it was intending to watch the Malaysian bike GP but was prevented by the inability to go on line.
I stayed last night as well so it was only upon reading The Times today that I discovered the sad death of Marco Simoncelli.
Not exactly relevant to your experiences of a camping weekend I know but having only found out today I find I'm still quite shocked. Baring Jase I imagine most of you know little about motorcycle racing and assume it's very dangerous. Well for sure injuries are common but Moto GP isn't the TT where you're never surprised by death.
I'm quite fond of you tube clips but I'll not bother with one for this though. The link is to a BBC Sport webpage and it explains a little more. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Tow Itch on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the link)
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 5:15 am

I saw that on the news and although i don't watch motorcycle racing, it's shocking as he was so young. Worryingly his helmet came off and that's always going to get you Sad

i haven't seen any clips of what happened to make him lose control but then he slid over the track and hit 2 other bikes but by that time he was helmetless and on the ground.

the press do always make a big thing of these tragic accidents but they are rare as the safety requirements in racing are massive.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

Hello All

Deary me my last report on this all got a bit maudlin.
Just so shocked when I read the papers on Monday. Seeing the actual accident didn't help. Although I realise that as with horse racing following riders going over you is the biggest chance of getting killed. I have previously seen that type of accident. I just can't remember seeing a bike with a rider on travel in that manner.

Right enough of that back to camping stuff.
It obviously bites more being on my own but having a single price per unit (eminently fair way of charging you don't take any more room up with two, or three people) does add up. If the site is free is it too much of an inconvenience to provide your own light and toilet. (sic)
There was a group of 8 Motor homes camping. I found out on Monday they were paying £5 per night, now they had no hookup, but whether this discount was for staying the week or for being a group I know not. I do feel though for future meets you should negotiate hard for discounts. I especially feel this as none of you organising types want any of the discount Laughing
I did make some further preliminary enquiries as per camping at the sports centre (mentioned previously) I'll expand on that if I start to sense any interest.
The Cotton Arms isn't expensive at £10 per night + £4 per electric hook up but at the end of the stay added up and if diverted elsewhere could have bought a lovely meal at the Bhopal (Bhurtpore) Arms. True the Bhopal didn't look to be the cheapest of places for beer nor food but I can recommend the beer (In both quality and selection) and the food looked lovely. The hostelry opposite the Cotton has been refurbished, never the cheapest of places, so prices could not have increased but it is to be hoped quality has, as previously the food wasn't very good. If the quality of the fayre matches the high standard of the refurbished it should be very good. One little health and safety issue was upstairs kitchens. When one of the very busy waiting staff goes A over T down the stairs then no doubt it will be the staff's fault as they failed to follow instructions and keep one hand on the Bannister.
As mentioned previously I have acquired a gas heater for inside the Green Un though happy with the ventilation calculations I weakened and adopted the current norm of acquiring a CO detector to go with it. This has yet not so much as chirped.
Though fire acquired I fell back to my Tilley Lamps on Fri, Sat and Sun. Not a failure of the gas fire nor my fear of the dark precipitating this, just that even on minimum the fire proved too hot. The 800w of the Tilley providing sufficient heat.
No condensation was experienced at all. Roll on winter meet.
Though I'd received a cheap inner tent from a Conway a few days earlier I didn't experiment with this. Depending on the depth of cold I may do this at the winter camp. Please bring needle and thread Helen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 3:49 pm