Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Does your dandy hold water when it rains?

lynn83

Does your dandy hold water when it rains?

Post by lynn83 on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 5:52 pm

We always have to push up the roof from inside when it's been raining, to tip the rain off. Does everyone else have to do it?
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: Does your dandy hold water when it rains?

Post by mike on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:06 pm

Oh yes, most of it goes on me Very Happy never Nancy,have improved the situation a bit by putting extra roof bars over the bed area,the only consolation is it will never soak through like it would on canvass.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

I got very wet packing away as I was stood at the back wall when we dropped it and all of the water off the roof dropped onto me but we did pack in between some very very heavy rain. We haven't had it happen before and we have packed away in the rain so I think it was because we had removed the roof bars and everything was ready to drop and then it really rained......... hard. We sat inside and waited for it to stop with only the centre roof bar in place, hence getting really very wet as it really had pooled on the roof. Sad I think I would have been dryer if we had continued in the rain.

We don't get it that much so I think it was lack of roof bars that caused this mis-hap, our awning and sun-canopy are the usual culprits for pooling.
lynn83

Post by lynn83 on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

Pleased we are not the only ones. There was quite a bit of water on top today but there is something satisfying hearing it come off, think we had enough for a fish pond. Laughing
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

Our Dandy or awning roof didn't collect water when it rained, the roof has a the centre support, the two U bars and an additional two bars, one at either side, the awning roof also has five roof supports.

Am I right in thinking the earlier Dandy's have a different roof gradient?

Would putting storm straps on help prevent the rain from collecting by keeping the roof more taught?
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

Yes Cazz they are more rounded and because the awnings are not as wide there is less chance of sag between the roof supports as they are closer together. When we erect our Dandy I always give the roof a good yank to pull it tight before putting the end bungees on the buttons. We only had the problem the last time because all of the roof supports except the centre one were not in place so it allowed water to collect We do however get it on the awning and have to push the water off from inside if it pools, it depends on how well we put it up in the first place. lol! We also tend to put bungees on the Dandy for chances the wind gets strong and I think this also helps prevent it. Very Happy

At least Dandy's don't leak if water pools on them, so no need to worry
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm

That's true, there will be no drips getting in. Wink

Your incident with the roof sounded unfortunate, it's not often you keep dryer by staying in the rain, lol!
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm

It wasn't good Cazz, kitchen wall started folding inwards and the roof dipped towards me and emptied a large amount of water over the front of my head, my face, my big woolly jumper and down my red welly's and everything dry was already packed away so I literally steamed all the way home Embarassed
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Sat 15 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

helen wrote:It wasn't good Cazz, kitchen wall started folding inwards and the roof dipped towards me and emptied a large amount of water over the front of my head, my face, my big woolly jumper and down my red welly's and everything dry was already packed away so I literally steamed all the way home Embarassed

lol! oh I mean oh dear, it isn't nice travelling when soaked through, I bet you were blamed for causing condensation. Laughing
lynn83

Post by lynn83 on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:43 am

Aww def not good having an outdoor shower, especially if it's freezing cold.
We have our ropes and bungees as tight as we can get them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:15 am