Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Share
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3175
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

I've seen something that made my heart jump this evening.
Went into Morrison's and they have nuts in bags for Christmas.
You can get Brazil Nuts in their shells again
I thought it was some worry about toxic moulds on the shells that made only pre shelled nuts available.
Anyone who is an aficionado of Brazils will happily tell you how much more moist (OK oily) they are when fresh from the shell.
If you have never tried Brazils make this the year.
Oh simple joys.
avatar
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 52
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Eilis on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

i always found it a real challenge to crack them without destroying the nut in the process lol
avatar
Krist0n

Posts : 325
Join date : 2011-11-05
Age : 42
Location : Sandbach, Cheshire

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Krist0n on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:02 am

Yes, but trying to get the nut out of the 2 halves you inevitably ended up with, was the best part of it all. Rather annoying, I agree, but all part of Christmas. cheers
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3175
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:25 am

The problem with conventional nutcrackers is that, just as you overcome the resistance of the shell there is then nothing to stop you pushing straight through the fruit.
I have a nutcracker that works on a screw thread so only displaces a small amount at a time.
You could also use a device with a positive stop.
I can think of a suitable tool that has a positive stop. It also has an internal cam to increase leverage.
Only problem is a Mole Grip isn't the most decorative tool for the Christmas table!

back_to_the_boats

Posts : 21
Join date : 2011-11-06

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by back_to_the_boats on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

Do like the birds do. Drop them in the road and let the cars crack the shells clown
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3175
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

back_to_the_boats wrote:Do like the birds do. Drop them in the road and let the cars crack the shells clown

Oh and if they were gritting the night before you get ready salted ones!
avatar
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 68
Location : north east lincs

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by mike on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

Tow Itch wrote: The problem with conventional nutcrackers is that, just as you overcome the resistance of the shell there is then nothing to stop you pushing straight through the fruit.
I have a nutcracker that works on a screw thread so only displaces a small amount at a time.
You could also use a device with a positive stop.
I can think of a suitable tool that has a positive stop. It also has an internal cam to increase leverage.
Only problem is a Mole Grip isn't the most decorative tool for the Christmas table!


Dandycampers does it again i would never have thought of mole grips as nut crackers,well done
avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3175
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

mike wrote:
Tow Itch wrote: The problem with conventional nutcrackers is that, just as you overcome the resistance of the shell there is then nothing to stop you pushing straight through the fruit.
I have a nutcracker that works on a screw thread so only displaces a small amount at a time.
You could also use a device with a positive stop.
I can think of a suitable tool that has a positive stop. It also has an internal cam to increase leverage.
Only problem is a Mole Grip isn't the most decorative tool for the Christmas table!


Dandycampers does it again i would never have thought of mole grips as nut crackers,well done

And there's still time to send a pair away so they can be back in time for Christmas but displaying an E.P.N.S. coat so they match the rest of the tableware!
Anyone under 40 remember E.P.N.S.?
avatar
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 41
Location : Staffordshire

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Cazz on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Only problem is a Mole Grip isn't the most decorative tool for the Christmas table!

avatar
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3175
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:48 pm

If too late for EPNS

Try Stainless Steel
avatar
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 68
Location : north east lincs

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by mike on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Aldi £4.99

Sponsored content

Re: Don't Know If Bargain Or Not

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:26 am