Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

The Myth Of The Perfect Awning?

Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

The Myth Of The Perfect Awning?

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Dear All

Never paid a great deal of attention to the pieces about awnings as I have an awning on the current "Green Un".
I have for a while been considering a more modern replacement, but the thought was always to go for a winterised, Delta, Discovery or Designer complete with awning.
Always assumed Helen's pieces about modifying awnings was because she didn't have the original. If I've got things right she did subsequently purchase an original awning. So why use an "inferior" substitute?
The major complaint about Dandy awnings has always been weight. I don't know if it's in order to minimise the the weight but the issue I see is that the awning is only 6' deep. Certain trailer tents go the opposite way and are too large but the 8' to 10' that most caravans have is a lot more useful.
There is a little more flexibility in packing away an awning than the main unit, but I still don't think I'd want to be drying out an expanse of canvas.
How good were the Dandy's acrylic awnings at drying out?
What depth were they?
Obviously expense curtails everyones options, but if expense were not a constraint what would be your ideal awning?
If a suitable Conway or Pennine was being scrapped (later One Acrylic awning) could this be a time to take advantage of their similar sizing?
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: The Myth Of The Perfect Awning?

Post by mike on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:26 am

The perfect awning for me has to be the dandy pvc,there is no way i could dry an awning at home,i have a canvas awning for my caravan but have never packed away wet due to not using it certain weekends,packing it away early after listening to the weather forecast,and waiting around for the dew to dry.
We have mitigated the weight problem to a very large extent with having the sides made to zip out if the time comes when we cant manage it then it would be be the 6 and a utility tent,the other observation i have about canvas awnings (dont know about acrylic) is on cold windy days if i sit too close to the canvass it seams like i can feel the cold penetrating the canvass,that might just be me.

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm

Have you found a dandy with acrylic awning as i have only seen a few for sale over the years,i have a feeling that the earlier ones where canvass and it was the blue ones that started the acrylic awnings but i could be wrong on that.

I did see a designer at a dandy rally with one and it looked very nice
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

The 'inferior' awning made of canvas gave me more options, I could leave the door open or even just roll the side window up that was part mesh and allowed the awning to cool, it also had a frosted effect so you had privacy. The door is also the type that you can just sip down a bit from the top and allow in fresh air still keeping a little privacy, it also helped keep the dog inside. The roof was made from Nylon and although canvas it isn't a thick heavy canvas. I did also like the fact that it was deeper and because it was custom made and thin canvas it meant that we could fit it properly against the legs inside using strong magnets and it doesn't gape at all ........... unlike the Dandy awning. We did keep on top of the waterproofing with fabsil and this meant that water didn't soak into the fabric but ran off like mercury when you smashed an old type thermometer. The big issue for us is the weight of the Dandy awning. I do however intend to get the sides zipped like Mike but I still have an issue with the butchers flap 'doors'.

I would still use that awning if we were only going away for a couple of days instead of the Dandy one.
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

Yes Helen I did put the term "inferior" in quotation marks.
You obviously have reasons for using the Royal Traveller awning. This is the sort of thing I want to explore.
Your trade off of weight as against drying off and depth with fit against other Dandy attributes results in your choice.
What do you see as the other Dandy attributes. Why would you use it if you were in situ for longer?
Mike
No I've not got a unit in view, my finances don't run to dark blue Dandys.
I just want to explore options and what would be best.
I can very much understand what you said about the canvas awning being colder than a PVC one. I noticed how much warmer my Dandy was over a trailer tent on my last two outings.
As I'm not intending to sleep in the awning I'd gladly exchange a slightly cooler awning for a couple of feet extra depth.
Anyone any knowledge of acrylics?

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

It may be worth looking at the nylon type free standing awning,our utility tent is made of the same stuff and it drys fairly quickly,plus less weight to throw over the clothes line when you get home,got to admit i wouldn't want to do a dandy awning on my own even with removable side panels.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

I have used it for longer than a couple of nights Kevin, even took it down after a week and then put it back up the same day, we once dragged the Dandy to a better position after all of the weekender's had gone home and then carried the awning across to it. The reason we got the Dandy awning was for when we have the little one in tow and have to put her trolley inside and in the traveller it was in the way of either the Dandy door, the awning door or the window with everything else we had in there. We use the Dandy awning for longer stays now because I take so much junk with me that we don't really have to, I just sort of accumulated it all and take it 'just in case', although the Royal Traveller is a bit deeper than the dandy awning I tend to be able to fit more in the dandy one more effectively because it has windows on all sides and two entrances and I do like to have all round vision. I have given up on my Dandy suncanopy now as we might as well take an awning with us Neutral

If I was camping on my own then I would probably get a movelight one for ease of erection but we also have a couple of utility tents one is pvc and one nylon, the nylon utility tent takes up a lot less space and is lighter but isn't as tough as the pvc but I agree with Mike they are the easiest solution if camping alone and for drying purposes too.
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 9:23 pm

Hi All,

We have been looking into an awning for Phoenix, she came with only a sun canopy as shown.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is from memory 4' deep and is made from canvass.

We did buy an original Dandy awning, which was orange walled and white roofed to match Phoenix. We then found out the only problem was Phoenix does not have the flaps on the batwings with studs on to fix the awning to. We did not really want to adapt Phoenix and lose her originality to fit it and so have sold it on. After looking at Helen's bit about the royal traveller awning and her photos, we have decided to give that route a try. We have ordered a 2011 bustent model because of its curved roof which we are hoping will suit Phoenix. It should be with us on Tuesday. Its made out of fabric which is 100% polyester. Will let you know how we get on when we try them out together.
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

i would love a Acrylic awning for our Dandy it was 8' deep i find the biggest issue with the pvc awning is it being only 6' deep.I guess Dandy or Riva eventually realised the market wanted 8' deep awnings so offered the Acrylic option.
The Acylic dandy Awning is zipped onto the Dandy roof so a nice tight fit although this method means that the Dandy was built to suit the Awning at time of order.

An ideal Awning would be 8' deep made with lightweight poles breathable poly cotton sides c/w fly screens and topped with durable Pvc Roof,the Pvc would deflect the worst of the weather and the poly cotton sides would reduce weight and condensation.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sat 07 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

And the sides would zip off so you could easily dry them out and put the pvc roof away wet if necessary lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 9:21 am