Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

surviving storms

back_to_the_boats

surviving storms

Post by back_to_the_boats on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

What is the recommended way of storm proofing a dandy? with a tent is was cross guying the poles. Having just been out walking the dog and the cowered beast sheltered behind me when the wind and rain was at it's worst, I was grateful that I was not camping.
mike
Dandy Owner

Re: surviving storms

Post by mike on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 1:18 pm

back_to_the_boats wrote:What is the recommended way of storm proofing a dandy? with a tent is was cross guying the poles. Having just been out walking the dog and the cowered beast sheltered behind me when the wind and rain was at it's worst, I was grateful that I was not camping.

It would have to be one hell of a storm to adversely effect a dandy but you can pitch it with the fixed end of the roof into the wind,guy rope or bungee the roof edges to the trailer,you could use a storm strap because unlike canvass it would be very unlikely to damage any thing.
The awning is a lot better than a canvass one as well because of its wieght,the unit may rock and rattle a bit in a storm but a bit of flexing is a good thing,sure ive forgotten some thing but some one will add it.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

I'm not sure of anything recommended but we have had experience in really bad winds and once caught the tail end of a massive storm. We did have fair warning for that one and as a precaution we removed the suncanopy, lifted the Dandy legs and towed it (still erected) to a more sheltered area (the site owners were fine about this) the car also created a windbreak and we decided to sit it out in the Dandy and we were fine even though it sounded like a truck had smacked into the front of the dandy and no damage was caused, if it had been towards the end of our holiday we would have packed and gone home affraid

I do throw a storm strap over the Dandy and the awning and treat it a bit like an old frame tent if it gets really windy, we have spare ropes that we have put a loop on the end of so we can easily wrap them around the frame on the inside of the awning and just slip the other end through the loop and then peg them down inside the awning.

We have had several storms whilst Dandying and have often woken to a field full of flattened tents but we have had a bit of rocking even with the chocks under the wheels. Mother nature is powerful and if we get fair warning we prepare or pack.

There has been a Dandy on it's side supposedly due to wind but it's just a picture and no one knows the full circumstances apart from the poor owners.
roseslee

surviving storms

Post by roseslee on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 11:05 pm

We were camping in the Galloway hills in high winds the kitchen end blew about a bit, the small screws that hold it to the hinge popped out the end was moving about a lot but never caused any damage, the next day we went home and I got some small coach bolts and drilled through the end and fixed it back to the hinge and did the same to the door end "just incase" then headed back that day to the same site. Oh the joys of camping.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:06 am