Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Early and late season camping

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Early and late season camping Empty Early and late season camping

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

This has been mentioned loads of times but with every new season we get new dandy campers so worth a new post,all folding campers and trailer tents not just dandys can suffer from the damp under the mattress problem.Its enough to make you sell up and go in a hotel real pain,the good news is its simple to cure.
The reason it happens is your body heat transmits through the mattress to the bed board which is cold early and late season,the answer is just as simple put something on top of your mattress to stop the heat in its tracks we use self inflating mattress SIM,i think helen uses memory foam toppers.
We tried the insulating layer under the mattress which works for some and cant hurt but it didn't work for us,any way i dont object to the bed being a bit more comfy,that's why if i used electric blankets they would be on top of my bedding not underneath.

If you do get it first time out just make sure you prop the mattress up during the day to dry,i would just add some campers never have it,its certainly no big deal once you find the fix that suits you.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Early and late season camping Empty Re: Early and late season camping

Post by Helen on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:09 pm

Ours are like foam rubber mats that just sit under the mattress, the memory foam was added at a later date just for comfort purposes and we find the thin mats under the beds in our insulated dandy work fine with no problems.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:25 pm

helen wrote:Ours are like foam rubber mats that just sit under the mattress, the memory foam was added at a later date just for comfort purposes and we find the thin mats under the beds in our insulated dandy work fine with no problems.

Yes its strange as i said ive heard people say the camping mats under the bed work for them,but it never worked for us but you certainly dont have to put up with it,its a question that comes up every year on ukcampsites about canvas folding campers and trailer tents ect.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:29 pm

In all honesty Mike we have never had it, the previous owner put them under the beds and not us so I don't know if we would get it without them there but have never bothered removing them to find out lol!
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

Never had the problem in the Green Un
The new Designer came with foam matting (sleeping bag roll) under the foam mattress.
So never thought more about things.
Lifted the mattress the day before I left and it was absolutely sodden. (No the top of the mattress wasn't wet thank you)
Will look towards solutions for this. Now if it happens on most folding campers then there will be differing contributory factors, but I can't help but think that the aluminium frame is one humongous heat sink.
I bet the post frame models suffer with this more than the pre frame ones!
The other point of large scale condensation was behind the end wall (ply) on the bed.
I'd think the end window (single skin) contributes to this?

Last edited by Tow Itch on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:22 pm

We get it on the side window but not the walls or bedboards, I have considered putting something in the end wall window hole at nights attaching it with those plastic clips that you sometimes get on the back of picture frames but that's something else I need to get around to.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:25 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Never had the problem in the Green Un
The new Designer came with foam matting (sleeping bag roll) under the foam mattress.
So never thought more about things.
Lifted the mattress the day before I left and it was absolutely sodden. (No the top of the mattress wasn't wet thank you)
Will look towards solutions for this. Now if it happens on most folding campers then there will be differing contributory factors, but I can help but think that the aluminium frame is one humongous heat sink.
I bet the post frame models suffer with this more than the pre frame ones!
The other point of large scale condensation was behind the end wall (ply) on the bed.
I'd think the end window (single skin) contributes to this?

Just goes to show how these things vary we have never had it on the back of the end walls
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

I think you get it on one end wall if you have a pvc side window like in the designers. Neutral
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

Did wonder if that was the case
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:44 pm

Still it's far better than camping in anything else Very Happy