Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

KristOns New Dandy Destiny

Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

I have given this a thread of it's own so if you need any help or advice it's easy to see and doesn't get lost in the for sale thread
Helen Very Happy

Woop Woop Woop. 2 days with 4/12 sleep, and lots of driving (most of it being work though), I'm finally zonked, half drunk, and celebrating owning a Dandy Destiny. Got a couple or so hundred off the initial price, not half as much I as hoped (I'm a semi pro complainer/haggler), but I'm so so so so so so so so so so so happy. Very Happy cheers

Can't wait to get it set up tomorrow and clean and polish, and hug and kiss and love it lol.
See You Up North Soon. The next Dandy meet is near my home town. I live about 300 miles away from there now though, but was brought up in Darlington.

My first night out in the Dandy (not given her/him a name yet) will be in or around Darlo in 3 weeks as I need to visit Mum, and Travellodge wont let a family of 6 stay in one room, so will be winter testing.

Thank you all for all your help buying. I'm sure your help will still be very much needed, more so in the early days.

I would buy you all a drink, but I spent all my money on a Dandy bounce

Cheers everyone
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Re: KristOns New Dandy Destiny

Post by vickoir on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:16 pm

k.zissler wrote:Woop Woop Woop. 2 days with 4/12 sleep, and lots of driving (most of it being work though), I'm finally zonked, half drunk, and celebrating owning a Dandy Destiny. Got a couple or so hundred off the initial price, not half as much I as hoped (I'm a semi pro complainer/haggler), but I'm so so so so so so so so so so so happy. Very Happy cheers

Can't wait to get it set up tomorrow and clean and polish, and hug and kiss and love it lol.
See You Up North Soon. The next Dandy meet is near my home town. I live about 300 miles away from there now though, but was brought up in Darlington.

My first night out in the Dandy (not given her/him a name yet) will be in or around Darlo in 3 weeks as I need to visit Mum, and Travellodge wont let a family of 6 stay in one room, so will be winter testing.

Thank you all for all your help buying. I'm sure your help will still be very much needed, more so in the early days.

Cheers everyone

well nick and i are only 25 miles from darlo so if we are about and you're not too busy would love to see your new toy and dont worry you dont have to buy us a drink you can just make us a cuppa lol!
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:35 pm

Do you know of any campsites in /around darlo Vicki?
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

k.zissler wrote:Do you know of any campsites in /around darlo Vicki?

i do know a few but not sure if they are open yet will check the ones we use and know are good and get back to you
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm

vickoir wrote:
k.zissler wrote:Do you know of any campsites in /around darlo Vicki?

i do know a few but not sure if they are open yet will check the ones we use and know are good and get back to you

just had a quick check and the places we stay tend not to open til march however never stayed at this site but have been to the place its in and staindrop is a lovely little village and not too far from darlo

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

also finchale abbey is a nice site too, too close to home for us which is why never stayed there be take dog walking round there in summer closer to durham than darlo though
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Wow, k.sizzler That is great to hear, well done you
May I ask what tow car you use?

Last edited by Esermalda on Sun 08 Jan 2012, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to ask a question)
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:38 am

congratulations K.sizzler, so pleased you got the dandy you wanted

here's to many happy holidays

mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

k.zissler wrote:Woop Woop Woop. 2 days with 4/12 sleep, and lots of driving (most of it being work though), I'm finally zonked, half drunk, and celebrating owning a Dandy Destiny. Got a couple or so hundred off the initial price, not half as much I as hoped (I'm a semi pro complainer/haggler), but I'm so so so so so so so so so so so happy. Very Happy cheers

Cheers everyone

cheers cheers cheers
Cazz

Post by Cazz on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

Yes, to everyone who has bought their Dandy this weekend.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 5:15 am

Thanks Vickoir for the site info. Shouldn'y yhink I will have a problem getting a space there at this time of year.

Thanks everyone for all my congrats.

And Esse, I'm going to be towing with a 1.8 semi auto petrol Vauxhall Zafira. Not sure how it's going to handle it yet as not even got my towbar fitted yet lol. Will let you know hopefully by the end of the week. The only thing that concerns me is the semi auto box. It's bad enough when NOT towing. Word of advice to anyone thinking of getting a semi auto Vauxhall!!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

Krist0n wrote:Woop Woop Woop. 2 days with 4/12 sleep, and lots of driving (most of it being work though), I'm finally zonked, half drunk, and celebrating owning a Dandy Destiny. Got a couple or so hundred off the initial price, not half as much I as hoped (I'm a semi pro complainer/haggler), but I'm so so so so so so so so so so so happy. Very Happy cheers

Cheers everyone

Does it have insulated walls if so a good convector heater and your laughing if not you should still be able to keep it warm but may have some condensation on the pvc walls at the bed ends.

mike
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:28 pm

Yes, it has insulated walls, and a skirt for one side. It has a heater that blows hot air (is that a convector?) And I also just bought a small oil filled radiator from the caravan place near us just to keep the chill out on cold nights, as I think the blower may be too much. The blower does have 3 settings though, but no thermostat. It also has a remote control, so I can activate/deactivate it from the bed Smile
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:36 pm

Krist0n wrote:Yes, it has insulated walls, and a skirt for one side. It has a heater that blows hot air (is that a convector?) And I also just bought a small oil filled radiator from the caravan place near us just to keep the chill out on cold nights, as I think the blower may be too much. The blower does have 3 settings though, but no thermostat. It also has a remote control, so I can activate/deactivate it from the bed Smile

No a convector isnt the same as a fan heater but if you have the fan heater then that should be ok,some including me dont like the noise from fan heaters thats why we use convector heaters,yours i guess will be built in so that should muffle any sound,if the walls and roof are insulated just keep the heat up and you wont have any wall or roof condensation but do check under the beds after the first night more so yours than the kids as the two of you will generate more heat.
Make sure you have a good battery in the remote it would be awful to have to get out of bed just to adjust the heater lol!
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:41 pm

Most importantly I will have spare batterys put into a spare battery holder just next to the bed Smile

What do you mean by "under the beds?"
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 6:47 pm

Krist0n wrote:Most importantly I will have spare batterys put into a spare battery holder just next to the bed Smile

What do you mean by "under the beds?"

Underneath the mattress on the end beds the middle one would not matter and you will probably turn it into a table each day any way
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:50 pm

ah ok, I'm with you. So would you advise lifting the mattresses up during the day to air then?

One thing I've not looked at properly yet is the middle bed as I've been scrubbing like a madman. Do I use the table on a low setting to act as the middle part of the bed? I'm guessing that's what you do, but I havn't even got the table out of the garage yet.

Up to now I have payed £25 for a useless hitchlock. It looked good, but when it's in place, the hitch bolts are still accsesible.
£25 on a useless oil filled radiator. It's been on for about 3 hours now, and just been to check on it, and it's just as cold inside as it is outside. It hasn't even taken the edge off.

I've cleaned all the interior pvc, just need to polish it now.

Stripped most of the covers off the cushions (and that aint an easy task with those buttons/tags everywhere.

Washed the roof lining.

Next on list are the interior solid walls. The dreaded loo. And then the cupboards and kitchen area.
Then I'll make a start on the small repairs, and the hammerite. And then the outside stains.

THEN, I'll be ready for a Dandy Holiday bounce
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

kriston, was it completely uncared for? it sounds like it. good job you came along. Don't work too hard though.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

I think it was just very well used, and used more as a work horse than a holiday home.
The cushion covers are all very clean as he kept them covered up, but they both smoked, so the material has obviously soaked up the smell. The ceiling, walls and windows were very nicotene stained indeed. And the end panel of the toilet cubicle has broken at the 3 hinges where it folds. Did I mention that the toilet cassette was full too lol??!!?

The guy had it for 5 1/2 years from new, and like I say, I think it was used a LOT. I think he used to use it to travel for work too, as he works all over the UK.

She'll be restored to all her glory before long though. Always thinking of ways to "Pimp my Dandy" lol!
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:13 pm

Krist0n wrote:I think it was just very well used, and used more as a work horse than a holiday home.
The cushion covers are all very clean as he kept them covered up, but they both smoked, so the material has obviously soaked up the smell. The ceiling, walls and windows were very nicotene stained indeed. And the end panel of the toilet cubicle has broken at the 3 hinges where it folds. Did I mention that the toilet cassette was full too lol??!!?

The guy had it for 5 1/2 years from new, and like I say, I think it was used a LOT. I think he used to use it to travel for work too, as he works all over the UK.

She'll be restored to all her glory before long though. Always thinking of ways to "Pimp my Dandy" lol!

The normal problem is not getting stuff that was on the itinerary.

Something for nothing and you still complain.

Don't know how you have got on with the nicotine staining but I used to work in bars and have cleaned walls prior to painting.
Sugar soap was pretty good but if you've been using Cif that's even more astringent.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

Krist0n wrote:ah ok, I'm with you. So would you advise lifting the mattresses up during the day to air then?

One thing I've not looked at properly yet is the middle bed as I've been scrubbing like a madman. Do I use the table on a low setting to act as the middle part of the bed? I'm guessing that's what you do, but I havn't even got the table out of the garage yet.

Up to now I have payed £25 for a useless hitchlock. It looked good, but when it's in place, the hitch bolts are still accsesible.
£25 on a useless oil filled radiator. It's been on for about 3 hours now, and just been to check on it, and it's just as cold inside as it is outside. It hasn't even taken the edge off.

I've cleaned all the interior pvc, just need to polish it now.

Stripped most of the covers off the cushions (and that aint an easy task with those buttons/tags everywhere.

Washed the roof lining.

Next on list are the interior solid walls. The dreaded loo. And then the cupboards and kitchen area.
Then I'll make a start on the small repairs, and the hammerite. And then the outside stains.

THEN, I'll be ready for a Dandy Holiday bounce

Didn't want to say any thing about the oil filled radiator as you had already bought it but i always found them pretty useless that's why we have a convector,what make hitchlock that sounds bad,dont know about the table as yours sounds different to my 6.
Raising the mattress may not be needed its just worth checking,with all the work at least it will feel like yours at the end.
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 4:11 am

Mine is excactly the same as thi one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You can see how the table is set up with the 2 sofas either side in picture 6
I will have a play this afternoon when I get back from the dreaded shopping.

Re the radiator. I think I will try to take it back, and get the £30 convector heater from Argos. 2kw. Should be a big improvement on the 450 kw radiator. And as for using up all my ampage (which is how I was talked into buying the low kw rad) I will only be using the convector when sleeping anyway. (I wonder if they do remote controls)!!
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:04 am

This is similar to the one we have[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]we made sure we kept the reciept and took the extended guarantee as we felt it would get bounced about a fair bit.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 5:06 am

The table looks just like ours,we just rest it on the edge of the benches to make the bed.
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

Thats a good idea helen was waiting to see if someone would think of it lol! ,we can now carry on talking about Kristons new dandy.

Kriston let us know if you get a convector with remote control will be interested for next winter.
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

We have an oil filled radiator, they are okay for small spaces and it works very well in our rabbit shed but for your size Dandy I would get a convector heater, we use one in our Dandy and also in a large loft room and they work well with no noise to keep you awake. Ah I have some remote controlled plugs, you plug them in and then your tv, heater and whatever else you want into that and then hey presto one remote for 3 plugs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 8:04 am